PDA

View Full Version : Is prejudice a form of laziness?

tailfins
09-30-2015, 08:07 PM
It appears Chris Shelton thinks it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVGyTi0F4NA

Motown
10-01-2015, 03:40 AM
I've never heard of Chris Shelton, I was disappointed. If you're going to call yourself a critical thinker then I expect some critical thinking but he missed the mark.

He compared apples and oranges. Patternicity is involuntary and he was wrong to compare that to what he considers to be knee jerk reactions in the political and social arena. The reason for having political parties is to generalize a set of beliefs so people know who you are and can associate an individual candidate with those beliefs, unless you're a cynic in which case the reason for parties is to rake in as much cash as you can by peddling influence.

He also engaged in a little bit of dishonesty and manipulation by using some of the words he did. When he was talking about immigration he kept using the word immigrant which is a way of framing a conversation, the topic isn't immigrants it's illegal aliens. When he talked about liberals being put in a box he then says "or even conservatives" just to make himself seem unbiased but that wording places conservatives below liberals.

He says we aren't born hating people which implies that hate and generalizations aren't rational so he's assuming that calling a duck a duck is irrational, which it isn't.