PDA

View Full Version : .....you will be rooting for the bear after 10 seconds, trust me on this

LongTermGuy
10-01-2015, 07:17 PM
......This Last Frontier wildlife interaction starts out reasonably well, but then Mary Maley gives a curious bear in Berg Bay, Alaska, a squirt of bear spray to the face. At the risk of anthropomorphizing — okay, what the heck, let’s anthropomorphize — he opts to gnaw on her kayak rather than her.
This upsets Maley....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=39&v=nU5cMZymSr0

tailfins
10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
......This Last Frontier wildlife interaction starts out reasonably well, but then Mary Maley gives a curious bear in Berg Bay, Alaska, a squirt of bear spray to the face. At the risk of anthropomorphizing — okay, what the heck, let’s anthropomorphize — he opts to gnaw on her kayak rather than her.
This upsets Maley....

It would be cool to be able to have a betting pool regarding whether she's married, single or divorced.

Russ
10-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you...

NightTrain
10-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Stupid hippie.

One shot in the air with a .44 and that would have all been done and over with.

Bilgerat
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Stupid hippie.

But guns are bad !

:laugh:

LongTermGuy
10-02-2015, 09:17 AM
After hearing her voice....I know why it was a solo trip...

Remember this one?:coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=6&v=HdZ9weP5i68

Gunny
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
After hearing her voice....I know why it was a solo trip...

Remember this one?:coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=6&v=HdZ9weP5i68

Yes and I AIN'T playing the video. Why don't you just cut to the chase and drag your nails down a chalkboard?

jimnyc
10-02-2015, 09:44 AM
I wish the bear would have done an about face and came over and ate her instead of the damn kayak.

"bear, bear, bear, bear, bear..." NT's .44 might have been closer to her than the bear!

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah, her voice alone was enough to make anyone's trigger finger start twitching... the hippies have learned to do their kayaking away from normal Alaskans.

Hope she enjoyed a nice long hike through bear country with half a can of mace.

That was a young bear who was simply curious and wasn't being aggressive at all. She created the whole kayak-destroying episode by being so timid.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Yeah, her voice alone was enough to make anyone's trigger finger start twitching... the hippies have learned to do their kayaking away from normal Alaskans.

Hope she enjoyed a nice long hike through bear country with half a can of mace.

That was a young bear who was simply curious and wasn't being aggressive at all. She created the whole kayak-destroying episode by being so timid.

But you got to love that crap in a way. :laugh: In S FL, we'd go diving for shells then set up a pickup with a sign on US1 and sell them for outrageous prices to tourists.

Yankees are dumbasses. They come here looking for where the indians live in their teepees. :laugh: ANyone with any education knows that Navaho's lived in caves. :laugh:

Gunny
10-02-2015, 10:27 AM
And to be fair, my 1st wife was from Rochester and I later had a GF from Cleveland and one from Eerie, PA. YOu know how long I spent trying to find the f-ing Eerie Canal? And I STILL haven't seen the MFer.:laugh:

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 11:17 AM
But you got to love that crap in a way. :laugh: In S FL, we'd go diving for shells then set up a pickup with a sign on US1 and sell them for outrageous prices to tourists.

Yankees are dumbasses. They come here looking for where the indians live in their teepees. :laugh: ANyone with any education knows that Navaho's lived in caves. :laugh:

Yeah, I get tired of the age-old questions about living in Igloos. And how many dogs I have for my dogsled team.

As for mushing dogs, it's not as awesome as the hippies would have you believe. It's a hell of a lot of work, it's slow, you can't carry much, it's damned unsafe with sketchy ice (speed is your friend on bad ice), and the dogs really don't care to be used as tractors. When you see videos of dogs overjoyed to be pulling a sled, that's because they are never allowed to run around on their own and be a dog - they're kept tied up 24/7 and pulling a sled is their only way to get off the chain. Exact same concept of convicts volunteering to go pick up garbage beside the highway - it's nice to get out of the jail cell.

I don't anyone can really appreciate how awful it truly is to be downwind of 11 Malemutes farting along the trail. After feasting on moose, getting a whiff of that action will make your eyes water and it never ends... it'll literally make you dizzy. Ours ate a lot of moose because it cost us exactly one bullet to feed them for several weeks. They all produced methane like champions.

The only benefit we've gotten up here with those stupid Alaska Reality TV shows is that those kinds of questions have been reduced... but the tradeoff isn't worth it. The made up crap for the drama is so preposterous that it's funny. Not funny enough to watch, though.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I get tired of the age-old questions about living in Igloos. And how many dogs I have for my dogsled team.

As for mushing dogs, it's not as awesome as the hippies would have you believe. It's a hell of a lot of work, it's slow, you can't carry much, it's damned unsafe with sketchy ice (speed is your friend on bad ice), and the dogs really don't care to be used as tractors. When you see videos of dogs overjoyed to be pulling a sled, that's because they are never allowed to run around on their own and be a dog - they're kept tied up 24/7 and pulling a sled is their only way to get off the chain. Exact same concept of convicts volunteering to go pick up garbage beside the highway - it's nice to get out of the jail cell.

I don't anyone can really appreciate how awful it truly is to be downwind of 11 Malemutes farting along the trail. After feasting on moose, getting a whiff of that action will make your eyes water and it never ends... it'll literally make you dizzy. Ours ate a lot of moose because it cost us exactly one bullet to feed them for several weeks. They all produced methane like champions.

The only benefit we've gotten up here with those stupid Alaska Reality TV shows is that those kinds of questions have been reduced... but the tradeoff isn't worth it. The made up crap for the drama is so preposterous that it's funny. Not funny enough to watch, though.

Screw all that. I wouldn't even want to feed a dogsled. There goes MY paycheck. :laugh:

But I hear ya. Everything is relative to where you are. You think you get shitty TV move to NM. I think I had better stuff in 85. Only it ain't $15 anymore. $200 for infomercials.

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 11:53 AM
You think you get shitty TV move to NM. I think I had better stuff in 85. Only it ain't $15 anymore. $200 for infomercials.

Yep. We moved to this house last year, and I had DirecTV prior to the move. Over 200 channels, but over half of them were infomercial channels. I actually only watched about 5 channels like History, Discovery, etc., the rest were garbage.

At this house, there are trees across the street that block the satellite signal, so I can't get service here - and I refuse to go back to land-based cable TV because of shady billing practices every single month... I have better things to do with my time than call the bastards up and discover what 'mistake' was made this month on their end. Funny that the constant 'mistakes' were always in their favor.

The upside to no live TV to my house is that the kids aren't watching mindless TV anymore. Like all kids, they love watching the garbage on MTV or Disney Channel... mostly pre-teen and teenage soap operas and it would drive me nuts. My kids aren't interested in quality TV when there's a choice.

Now I've got Amazon Prime and Hulu for streaming TV and shows and rely exclusively on the Interwebs for quality entertainment for stuff that I want to see, not just what happens to be on when I sit down.

The biggest downside was losing access to HBO, because I love Game of Thrones. I tried to subscribe to HBO over the internet, but they made it so ridiculously hard to do it that I finally gave up. Now I'll pirate that series until they make it reasonably easy to pay for it and watch it on my PC hooked up to the flatscreen.

Black Diamond
10-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Yep. We moved to this house last year, and I had DirecTV prior to the move. Over 200 channels, but over half of them were infomercial channels. I actually only watched about 5 channels like History, Discovery, etc., the rest were garbage.

At this house, there are trees across the street that block the satellite signal, so I can't get service here - and I refuse to go back to land-based cable TV because of shady billing practices every single month... I have better things to do with my time than call the bastards up and discover what 'mistake' was made this month on their end. Funny that the constant 'mistakes' were always in their favor.

The upside to no live TV to my house is that the kids aren't watching mindless TV anymore. Like all kids, they love watching the garbage on MTV or Disney Channel... mostly pre-teen and teenage soap operas and it would drive me nuts. My kids aren't interested in quality TV when there's a choice.

Now I've got Amazon Prime and Hulu for streaming TV and shows and rely exclusively on the Interwebs for quality entertainment for stuff that I want to see, not just what happens to be on when I sit down.

The biggest downside was losing access to HBO, because I love Game of Thrones. I tried to subscribe to HBO over the internet, but they made it so ridiculously hard to do it that I finally gave up. Now I'll pirate that series until they make it reasonably easy to pay for it and watch it on my PC hooked up to the flatscreen.
Do you miss the news channels?

Gunny
10-02-2015, 12:10 PM

I actually watch about 3-4 and between 3-7 AM I'm screwed.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Ever pay attention to what news channels have to say? Nothing.

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 12:14 PM

I did at first, because of breaking news... forgot to mention that.

But then I realized that 99% of the time, the 'OMG Breaking Story!!!' is never accurate and full of wildly wrong info by reporters trying to out-scoop their rivals. It takes a few hours for details to be corrected and the story accurately reported. Remember how wrong all the stories were about the Muzzie On A Train incident over in France? It took a full day to sort that out.

I'll live-stream news coverage on the internet for important stories and be just as confused as to which facts are actual facts as everyone else! :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Ever pay attention to what news channels have to say? Nothing.

I don't really watch them for the news. More the shows because of the guests who come on. Candidates are on the shows right now. And It's pretty much limited to fox. I get tired of the other whorehouses sucking up to Obama.

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I actually watch about 3-4 and between 3-7 AM I'm screwed.

I fixed that problem with the DVR. I'd set up recording for shows that looked interesting like on History, Military, Discovery & HBO and watch them when I was able to. Plus there was the huge benefit of fast-forwarding through commercials.

Have I ever mentioned how much I loathe commercials? :laugh:

NightTrain
10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't really watch them for the news. More the shows because of the guests who come on. Candidates are on the shows right now. And It's pretty much limited to fox. I get tired of the other whorehouses sucking up to Obama.

Same. For American news, it's always Fox.

But for the internet, I'll go overseas in addition to Fox.

Black Diamond
10-02-2015, 12:21 PM
I did at first, because of breaking news... forgot to mention that.

But then I realized that 99% of the time, the 'OMG Breaking Story!!!' is never accurate and full of wildly wrong info by reporters trying to out-scoop their rivals. It takes a few hours for details to be corrected and the story accurately reported. Remember how wrong all the stories were about the Muzzie On A Train incident over in France? It took a full day to sort that out.

I'll live-stream news coverage on the internet for important stories and be just as confused as to which facts are actual facts as everyone else! :laugh:

I hear ya. I was pissed yesterday because all the shows where guests were supposed to be on were overtaken by Oregon. And no one knew any more than they had hours before. And we had to listen to the a-hole in chief politicize it over and over again.

Russ
10-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Stupid hippie.

True, but where could the bear get his paws on a .44 ?

SassyLady
10-05-2015, 02:38 PM
True, but where could the bear get his paws on a .44 ?

:rofl1:

SassyLady
10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Pepper Spray = instant karma = trashed kayak