PDA

View Full Version : Judeo-Christian

Motown
10-02-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs in the Religion forum or not, if it doesn't then please move it to wherever it belongs.

I've wondered about the word Judeo-Christian. The first time I remember hearing this word was shortly after 9/11. I always thought this was used by pro-Israeli groups to generate support for a pro-Israel political agenda and maybe some funding too. I never gave it much more thought than that.

A couple of days ago one of my neighbors had some of the neighborhood guys over to chat a bit and drink some cool refreshing beverages out on his deck. We were talking about the news and someone used the word Judeo-Christian. Two of the guys were Jewish and they both were livid over the use of that word, they see it as an attempt by fundamentalist Christians to water down or redefine their religion. I was a little surprised because I'd always assumed the word was created by Jews for political reasons. I was even more surprised by the fact that the people defending use of the word were all republicans, RINOs and Tea Party types.

I've noticed that Judeo-Christian has been used in this forum too along with in the news, almost always Fox from what I've seen. I'm interested to hear what people think about this word. Are you for it's use? Do you think it's stupid? If you use it why do you use it? If you don't use it why do you think others use it? If there are any Jewish people in the forum I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Jesus was a Jew. Our laws are based on Judeo-Christianity. The Pharisees rejected him because he spoke against them. Jesus did not come to refute the Old Testament. He came to amend the word of God. Even HE got pissed at the moneychangers in the Temple and threw a tantrum.

While one can be contradictory to the other, if taken in proper context, Jesus does not refute the Old Testament. He brings a new word.

Motown
10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
It's interesting you brought up the Old Testament. The republicans at that party brought that up too and both of the Jewish guys said that their religion is not based on the Old Testament. They went into great detail but I'm not religious so a lot of that was lost on me but the one thing I do know is that they discounted the OT argument.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 12:08 PM
It's interesting you brought up the Old Testament. The republicans at that party brought that up too and both of the Jewish guys said that their religion is not based on the Old Testament. They went into great detail but I'm not religious so a lot of that was lost on me but the one thing I do know is that they discounted the OT argument.

People are real quick to swap back and forth between the Old and New Testaments even when they are contradictory. Taken in context, Jesus came to amend the Old Testament laws. The Old Testament is basically Jewish law and Jewish history.

The left and atheists like to argue that we aren't but the fact is there is no inherent goodness in man. If there was, explain these other nations with different beliefs who have no regard for human life. Our beliefs are societal and based on life being most important. Unless our society sticks you in prison. THEN animals in a zoo get treated better.

Motown
10-05-2015, 01:06 PM
No one else? Really?

fj1200
10-05-2015, 01:39 PM
I've wondered about the word Judeo-Christian. The first time I remember hearing this word was shortly after 9/11. I always thought this was used by pro-Israeli groups to generate support for a pro-Israel political agenda and maybe some funding too. I never gave it much more thought than that.

... Two of the guys were Jewish and they both were livid over the use of that word, they see it as an attempt by fundamentalist Christians to water down or redefine their religion. I was a little surprised because I'd always assumed the word was created by Jews for political reasons. I was even more surprised by the fact that the people defending use of the word were all republicans, RINOs and Tea Party types.

Judeo-Christian is a term used by many Christians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christians) and some Jews (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews) since the 1950s to encompass common beliefs of Christianity and Judaism. It has become part of American civil religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion) and is often used to promote inter-religious cooperation. Efforts in recent years have been made to replace the term Judeo-Christian with "Abrahamic religions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions)", to include Islam and avoid supercessionist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersessionism) implications.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian#cite_note-1)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian

I don't think it's any deeper than some acknowledging the religious underpinnings of our secular society.

These people seem to claim some ownership of the word and beliefs.

http://www.judeochristianity.org/judeochristianity_principles.htm

Abbey Marie
10-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Jews and Christians worship the same God, Jesus was a direct descendant of David, and we both believe in the Ten Commandments. Those are some powerful fundamentals to share. Getting "livid" over it is bizarre, and this is the first I've heard of a Jew rejecting the OT. Someone should inform the Rabbis, who spend their lives studying it.

Motown
10-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Jews and Christians worship the same God, Jesus was a direct descendant of David, and we both believe in the Ten Commandments. Those are some powerful fundamentals to share. Getting "livid" over it is bizarre, and this is the first I've heard of a Jew rejecting the OT. Someone should inform the Rabbis, who spend their lives studying it.

I'm not religious at all, I don't understand people getting livid over it. I also don't like fj what's his face answering the call...the rest of you "Judeo-Christians" couldn't find the time? F U

Gunny
10-05-2015, 03:01 PM
No one else? Really?

You have to go back to we all know each other. We know what the other's going to say. First time I had this argument on a message board was 2001. You can express your beliefs and I will be more than happy to discuss them. But no one's changing anyone's mind and after the 50th time you have the argument only to get a smilie as a response, it just gets old.

Gunny
10-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm not religious at all, I don't understand people getting livid over it. I also don't like fj what's his face answering the call...the rest of you "Judeo-Christians" couldn't find the time? F U

Gameplan: FJ goes for getting under your skin. Seems to have worked. He doesn't care which side of the argument he's on. Likes to play games with words. He's a contrarian. Doesn't care what you believe or he believes so long as he can argue about something.

And DON'T underestimate your enemy. He's good at BOTH sides of the coin. Make sure you lock and load when you come to play.

jimnyc
10-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Wow, yikeys! I can only speak for myself.... I wandered into this thread, mainly for reading purposes. I admit that I'm not very well versed in religion. Born and raised catholic, but I'm still learning. I don't know about the "f u" part. :laugh:

Sometimes you start a thread and it gets 18 pages of replies. Sometimes it may not get a single reply. I don't think anyone meant any ill will towards you based on the lack of replies as of yet.

fj1200
10-05-2015, 04:01 PM

:confused: I responded to your OP. FWIW my mother likes to mention a book by an atheist that bestows the virtues of our Judeo-Christian background... I wish I remembered the title. :(

Gameplan: FJ goes for getting under your skin. Seems to have worked. He doesn't care which side of the argument he's on. Likes to play games with words. He's a contrarian. Doesn't care what you believe or he believes so long as he can argue about something.

And DON'T underestimate your enemy. He's good at BOTH sides of the coin. Make sure you lock and load when you come to play.

:angel:

Gunny
10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Wow, yikeys! I can only speak for myself.... I wandered into this thread, mainly for reading purposes. I admit that I'm not very well versed in religion. Born and raised catholic, but I'm still learning. I don't know about the "f u" part. :laugh:

Sometimes you start a thread and it gets 18 pages of replies. Sometimes it may not get a single reply. I don't think anyone meant any ill will towards you based on the lack of replies as of yet.

Nah. Just no one wants to have the same argument for the millionth time. What I find interesting is the number of Bible quote threads we have, but no one wants to discuss religion. Depending on your POV, it's either a smart move to avoid the fight, or a dodge. People like to dredge up scripture and are always surprised when someone like me can smite them hip and thigh with the jawbone of an ass.

NightTrain
10-05-2015, 08:15 PM

My apologies, my Fuhrer.

Please let us peons know how many paragraphs all of us are required to respond with and I will alert all the members by PM.

Would tomorrow at 1800 EST be sufficient as far as a deadline?

revelarts
10-05-2015, 08:53 PM

that's really weird. no offense but i'm thinking maybe you didn't hear that right.

that's like a Christian saying their religion isn't based on Jesus.
Or a Buddhist saying Buddhism's not based on the teachings of Buda.
But maybe they are some kind of new super reformed religiously liberal Jews or something.

that's really odd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian
I don't think it's any deeper than some acknowledging the religious underpinnings of our secular society.
These people seem to claim some ownership of the word and beliefs.
http://www.judeochristianity.org/judeochristianity_principles.htm
agreed.
Fj posted my understanding of "judeo-christian".
the 1st i'd heard of it was in context of our shared religious heritage and as the foundation of western culture back in the 80's.
Seems it was used more during the 80s by the "religious right" than now-a-days.

I'm not really fond of the term. But there's nothing wrong with it IMO.
It's Just that I'm not sure it tells people much.