PDA

View Full Version : Vegan protesters storm steakhouse, shout at customers

jimnyc
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Eat and let eat. Pretty dumb, IMO, to go into a steakhouse and pull shit like this. But at least we get some humor value out of it thanks to whoever the dummy was ranting this stuff. I would have tossed her within 5 seconds for being brain dead.

---

A group of vegans thought they would further their cause by storming a Toronto steakhouse, peppering a hostess with questions and shouting at customers.

Instead, even those on the left are ridiculing their tactics.

Several protesters from a group identified as “Direct Action Everywhere Toronto” by the Huffington Post entered The Keg Mansion steakhouse in Toronto, Canada. Video shows the lead agitator perusing a menu near the entrance of the restaurant.

“So, I’m just wondering, I don’t see any dog meat here,” the protester said to the hostess trying to wait on restaurant patrons. The hostess stood stone-faced, either unamused or not understanding how this would could be so stupid.

“That’s the latest thing. I thought this was a meat restaurant,” the agitator said.

“It’s steak,” the hostess replied.

“It’s steak, but steak is made out of cows. And I see you have chicken which is obviously chicken. And I see you’ve got pigs here but you don’t have dogs here. So I’m wondering why you don’t have dog.”

The hostess shrugged her shoulders, probably wishing she called in sick this night so she didn’t have to deal with this moronic protester.

The woman handed back the menu and said, “Where’s the dog meat? I mean, you’ve got the other meats, I don’t understand it. Are you ever going to have dog meat here? Why not? I want to know!”

In the words of one Reddit user, the “group of assholes” then went to the center of the restaurant and began shouting at the confused customers.

The woman proceeded to rant about Cecil the Lion, a chicken the woman knew “who had a unique personality” (let that sink in for a moment) that likes “corn, watermelon and hugs,” while her comrades walked around with printed signs reading, “It’s not food. It’s violence.”

In between snickers and smirks, the customers appeared to be unmoved by the protesters’ tactics.

Jenny McQueen, one of the protest organizers, tells Vice.com: “We’re trying to cause a little disruption in society. Society normalizes violence against animals, unknowingly a lot of the time. People eat meat, buy meat from the supermarket. They don’t realize what they’re eating or what they’re buying was a thinking and feeling animal. You know, pigs feel pain just like cats and dogs.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=WJzw7SeVnHI

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/video-vegan-protesters-storm-steakhouse-shout-at-customers/

Trigg
10-02-2015, 03:43 PM
idiots:lame2:

they don't like meat don't eat it.

I feel the same way about broccoli :puke:

Elessar
10-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Eat and let eat. Pretty dumb, IMO, to go into a steakhouse and pull shit like this. But at least we get some humor value out of it thanks to whoever the dummy was ranting this stuff. I would have tossed her within 5 seconds for being brain dead.

---

It never ceases to amaze me how brain-dead stupid some people can be.

Gunny
10-02-2015, 06:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how brain-dead stupid some people can be.

They need jobs. THAT is the problem.

indago
10-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Jenny McQueen, one of the protest organizers, tells Vice.com: “We’re trying to cause a little disruption in society. Society normalizes violence against animals, unknowingly a lot of the time. People eat meat, buy meat from the supermarket. They don’t realize what they’re eating or what they’re buying was a thinking and feeling animal. You know, pigs feel pain just like cats and dogs.”

They should go into the wild and have a talk with these lions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElYRsi1OgQ

tailfins
10-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Maybe I could offer them some Foie Gras: VERY popular in Montreal and Toronto. Gavage is used to produce the bloated, fluffy liver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MK7myQitY

Noir
10-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Shouting at people will lead nowhere, constructive conversation is the path forward.

they don't like meat don't eat it.

It not so much about 'not liking meat' as 'not liking the violence caused to make meat'
If you read your statement as 'they don't like abusing animals, then don't abuse animals' you see were these types of statements (don't like x don't do x) fail in relation to veganism.

jimnyc
10-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Shouting at people will lead nowhere, constructive conversation is the path forward.

Fwiw, towards yourself and Abbey - this thread wasn't meant as a sign of disrespect. I know that normal vegans don't hold themselves up to others like this. This is definitely a rare situation of a nutball, which is why I posted it. Don't want anyone to think I was going after vegans or veggies. :)

tailfins
10-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Fwiw, towards yourself and Abbey - this thread wasn't meant as a sign of disrespect. I know that normal vegans don't hold themselves up to others like this. This is definitely a rare situation of a nutball, which is why I posted it. Don't want anyone to think I was going after vegans or veggies. :)

Over the decades, I thought most vegans were like those described in the OP.

jimnyc
10-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Nah, I've actually found most to be quiet about it and reserved. I don't think I've ever had a single person try to "convert" me to their way of eating. Sure, maybe some discussions here and other places, but that's about it.

Noir
10-03-2015, 09:08 AM

You're happy to post videos of animals being subject to grotesquely savage practices, and then mope about your perception of vegans. Good job.

revelarts
10-03-2015, 09:48 AM
here's a cross reference thought experiment.

Let's say there's are 99% vegan and vegetarian restaurants in a small progressive town.
There are some restaurant workers that are committed hard core idealogical vegans or vegetarians themselves but most that work around town just lean that way but don't have a problem with those that eat meat.

OK SO one day all the vegan restaurant owners in town decide to add meat to their menus.
Not a lot and not anything "unnatural" just 2 items. A 100% grass fed free range chicken and local wild turkey.
All cook separately from the veggies of course.

So the HARD CORE vegans that work there are SHOCKED and APPALLED but they are great employees and cooks. Some have been working for decades. and of course need the jobs and don't have a problem with 98% of the menu. But one day 2 or 3 refuse to serve the meat to some meat eating customers. They'll serve whatever else the meat eaters want just not the meat.

what should the restaurant owner do?
Should she accommodate the HARD CORE vegan and let others serve the meat eaters?
Should they fire the the HARD CORE vegan because he's not doing the NEW job he's required to do now?
Should the meat eaters SUE the HARD CORE vegan for emotional distress and discrimination?
Should the city Jail and fine the HARD CORE vegan for breaking the laws against discriminating against meat eaters?

Noir
10-03-2015, 10:00 AM
here's a cross reference thought experiment.

Let's say there's are 99% vegan and vegetarian restaurants in a small progressive town.
There are some restaurant workers that are committed hard core idealogical vegans or vegetarians themselves but most that work around town just lean that way but don't have a problem with those that eat meat.

OK SO one day all the vegan restaurant owners in town decide to add meat to their menus.
Not a lot and not anything "unnatural" just 2 items. A 100% grass fed free range chicken and local wild turkey.
All cook separately from the veggies of course.

So the HARD CORE vegans that work there are SHOCKED and APPALLED but they are great employees and cooks. Some have been working for decades. and of course need the jobs and don't have a problem with 98% of the menu. But one day 2 or 3 refuse to serve the meat to some meat eating customers. They'll serve whatever else the meat eaters want just not the meat.

what should the restaurant owner do?
Should he accommodate the HARD CORE vegan and let others serve the meat eaters?
Should they fire the the HARD CORE vegan because he's not doing the NEW job he's required to do now?
Should the meat eaters SUE the HARD CORE vegan for emotional distress and discrimination?
Should the city Jail and fine the HARD CORE vegan for breaking the laws against discriminating against meat eaters?

The owner of the private business can do whatever they please, at their discretion.

jimnyc
10-03-2015, 10:03 AM
The owner of the private business can do whatever they please, at their discretion.

Except refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple. :)

revelarts
10-03-2015, 10:06 AM
great reply.
fine that's great in a free city.
so lets add another wrinkle.
the reason all the restaurants in the town changed there menus because meat eaters and there friends had the local laws changed so every restaurants HAD to serve meat.. or "meat eaters".

Noir
10-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Except refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple. :)

I think i've made plenty of posts here being clear that i'd rather prejudicial companies make themselves known as such, so they can fail because of their prejudices, however distasteful their views may be, and however much i disagree with them closing to act on them the way they do.

Noir
10-03-2015, 10:10 AM
great reply.
fine that's great in a free city.
so lets add another wrinkle.
the reason all the restaurants in the town changed there menus because meat eaters and there friends had the local laws changed so every restaurants HAD to serve meat.. or "meat eaters".

How were the laws changed?

jimnyc
10-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I think i've made plenty of posts here being clear that i'd rather prejudicial companies make themselves known as such, so they can fail because of their prejudices, however distasteful their views may be, and however much i disagree with them closing to act on them the way they do.

You would be surprised, you really would be. Go to 116th and Lenox in NYC. Open a convenience/smoke shop. Clearly in huge poster letters make it known that "WE ONLY SERVE BLACK FOLKS". First off, the place would make a killing based on the convenience and smoke shop to begin with. And the place would also make a killing as a black store only. I think a lot of it would depend on the location. I'm sure if they opened the same story in a city that is primarily white, of course it would likely tank. That would be covering the race issues. We live in a weird world, very weird, and times are weird.

gabosaurus
10-03-2015, 10:20 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ff/bb/c9/ffbbc9fbc950f12a55917334ab3f28fa.jpg

tailfins
10-03-2015, 10:24 AM
In all fairness to Noir, if I was in a group where we were all eating, I would likely make it a point NOT to ruin his lunch.

Romans 14

1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Noir
10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
You would be surprised, you really would be. Go to 116th and Lenox in NYC. Open a convenience/smoke shop. Clearly in huge poster letters make it known that "WE ONLY SERVE BLACK FOLKS". First off, the place would make a killing based on the convenience and smoke shop to begin with. And the place would also make a killing as a black store only. I think a lot of it would depend on the location. I'm sure if they opened the same story in a city that is primarily white, of course it would likely tank. That would be covering the race issues. We live in a weird world, very weird, and times are weird.

Well obviously, its like when that moron gun store owner starts his 'I don't serve muslims' publicly crap, i'm sure his gun sales go up.
What should happen and what does happen aren't always alined, but that doesn't change the meaning of what should happen.

Noir
10-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Such wit.

In all fairness to Noir, if I was in a group where we were all eating, I would likely make it a point NOT to ruin his lunch.

How christ-like of you.

Trigg
10-03-2015, 11:03 AM

It not so much about 'not liking meat' as 'not liking the violence caused to make meat'
If you read your statement as 'they don't like abusing animals, then don't abuse animals' you see were these types of statements (don't like x don't do x) fail in relation to veganism.

Humans are omnivores.

I don't personally care what you choose to eat or not eat. It's your choice. If a vegetarian comes to my house I'm going to make something they'll eat. I'm certainly not going to lecture them about what they choose to put in their mouth.

I'd expect the same courtesy.

I disagree with your assertion that it's about "not liking the violence caused to make meat". Vegetarians are against eating meat, even if the animal was killed in a humane and pain free way.

Noir
10-03-2015, 11:10 AM
I disagree with your assertion that it's about "not liking the violence caused to make meat". Vegetarians are against eating meat, even if the animal was killed in a humane and pain free way.

I would consider killing to be an act of violence.

revelarts
10-03-2015, 05:13 PM
How were the laws changed?
doesn't really matter but
lets say they were changed because 'meat eaters' felt left out and discriminated against.
they say they were born meat eaters and restaurants don't have a right to only serve vegetarians and vegans.
despite there deeply held ideological beliefs on animals and meat.

Noir
10-03-2015, 05:33 PM
doesn't really matter but
lets say they were changed because 'meat eaters' felt left out and discriminated against.
they say they were born meat eaters and restaurants don't have a right to only serve vegetarians and vegans.
despite there deeply held ideological beliefs on animals and meat.

I think it really does matter.
The chefs who do not want to serve meat are left in a quandary, as they must legally abide by a law they do not believe is morally right. It will be up to them to decide on a personal level if they want to remain as a chef there or not.

They can not simply chose to break laws because they do not personally agree with them. I would advise the chefs to take an activist approach to try and get the law amended, but if they are in a minority and the society in which they reside demands meat by law then there is little else they can do. Sometimes society suck.

Trigg
10-03-2015, 05:53 PM
There you go, you Are always against it, no matter the humane method used. My statement stands, if you don't like meat, don't eat it. Leave the rest of us alone.

Noir
10-03-2015, 05:58 PM
There you go, you Are always against it, no matter the humane method used. My statement stands, if you don't like meat, don't eat it. Leave the rest of us alone.

Do you consider killing to be an act of violence?

gabosaurus
10-03-2015, 07:14 PM

If we ban barbeque pits, only criminals would hold barbeques.
The government will only get our cooker when they pry the meat thermometer out of my husband's cold dead hands! :death:

indago
10-03-2015, 07:17 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ff/bb/c9/ffbbc9fbc950f12a55917334ab3f28fa.jpg

No discrimination there...

tailfins
10-03-2015, 07:19 PM
If we ban barbeque pits, only criminals would hold barbeques.
The government will only get our cooker when they pry the meat thermometer out of my husband's cold dead hands! :death:

Consider this for your vegan visitors:

http://www.topsmkt.com/wp-content/uploads/roasted-corn-on-the-cob.jpg

indago
10-03-2015, 07:21 PM
The chefs who do not want to serve meat are left in a quandary, as they must legally abide by a law they do not believe is morally right. It will be up to them to decide on a personal level if they want to remain as a chef there or not.

They can not simply chose to break laws because they do not personally agree with them. I would advise the chefs to take an activist approach to try and get the law amended, but if they are in a minority and the society in which they reside demands meat by law then there is little else they can do. Sometimes society suck.

If it is a vegetarian restaurant, and there is no meat on the menu, then it could hardly be called a discrimination against one who would enter there and request a steak.

indago
10-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Reminds me of a story about the guy who went into the restaurant and sat down at a table. The waitress came up with her little note pad and pencil and asked: "What'll ya have?" He said: "Whatcha' got?" She said: "You name it; We got it!" So he said: "Well then, I'll have a steak and some eggs." She said: "Oh, well we don't have that." So he said: "Well then I'll have some Liver 'n Onions." She said: "We don't have that." So he said: "I thought you said 'You name it, We got it'?" She said: "I did; but you ain't named it yet."

indago
10-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Consider this for your vegan visitors:

http://www.topsmkt.com/wp-content/uploads/roasted-corn-on-the-cob.jpg

Burnt corn doesn't appeal to me...

revelarts
10-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Well Pre-U.S. revolution some refused to "quarter soldiers" or pay certain taxes among other things. All law at the time.
During the civil rights movement Blacks and others broke 'jim crow' laws, rode the bus in the wrong seat, sat at "white only" counters, drank from "white only" water fountains.
During slavery times in the U.S. people helped slaves escape, forged documents, lied to officials to free men and women.
There have been U.S. workers that have gone on strike when the laws have said it's otherwise.
Ghandi and the natives of India illegally produced salt from seawater and followed with a large list of things that were not legal. To alter the legal and political situation.

"...taking an activist approach to try and get the law amended.."
An activist approach can take several forms, not all strictly "legal".

and yes "Sometimes society suck"

fj1200
10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Humans are omnivores.

It can be argued that humans were vegetarians before the fall.

DLT
10-07-2015, 04:27 PM

---

A group of vegans thought they would further their cause by storming a Toronto steakhouse, peppering a hostess with questions and shouting at customers.

Instead, even those on the left are ridiculing their tactics.

Several protesters from a group identified as “Direct Action Everywhere Toronto” by the Huffington Post entered The Keg Mansion steakhouse in Toronto, Canada. Video shows the lead agitator perusing a menu near the entrance of the restaurant.

“So, I’m just wondering, I don’t see any dog meat here,” the protester said to the hostess trying to wait on restaurant patrons. The hostess stood stone-faced, either unamused or not understanding how this would could be so stupid.

“That’s the latest thing. I thought this was a meat restaurant,” the agitator said.

“It’s steak,” the hostess replied.

“It’s steak, but steak is made out of cows. And I see you have chicken which is obviously chicken. And I see you’ve got pigs here but you don’t have dogs here. So I’m wondering why you don’t have dog.”

The hostess shrugged her shoulders, probably wishing she called in sick this night so she didn’t have to deal with this moronic protester.

The woman handed back the menu and said, “Where’s the dog meat? I mean, you’ve got the other meats, I don’t understand it. Are you ever going to have dog meat here? Why not? I want to know!”

In the words of one Reddit user, the “group of assholes” then went to the center of the restaurant and began shouting at the confused customers.

The woman proceeded to rant about Cecil the Lion, a chicken the woman knew “who had a unique personality” (let that sink in for a moment) that likes “corn, watermelon and hugs,” while her comrades walked around with printed signs reading, “It’s not food. It’s violence.”

In between snickers and smirks, the customers appeared to be unmoved by the protesters’ tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=WJzw7SeVnHI

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/video-vegan-protesters-storm-steakhouse-shout-at-customers/

I heartily recommend....that, if this ever happens to any of us in real life, we immediately indulge in an olde college tradition and begin pummeling the vegan invaders (or whatever kind of protestors they happen to be) with anything that would fly several feet.

FOOD FIGHT!!!

And of course, we would naturally offer to help clean up or pay for the clean up afterwards (it would be worth it...hehe).

tailfins
10-07-2015, 07:45 PM

So they were only Summertime vegetarians?

Noir
10-07-2015, 07:52 PM

While its not something I'm overly invested in - I went to hear a creationist speak a few years ago and he declared that he was vegetarian because [insert x pre-fall bible verses here about diet] and 'if it was good enough 'pre-fall' it should be good enough for now'

fj1200
10-07-2015, 09:01 PM
So they were only Summertime vegetarians?

That would be before the Fall. :poke:

While its not something I'm overly invested in - I went to hear a creationist speak a few years ago and he declared that he was vegetarian because [insert x pre-fall bible verses here about diet] and 'if it was good enough 'pre-fall' it should be good enough for now'

There you go, the Bible; something for everyone.