PDA

View Full Version : An important business concept raised by Black Diamond

tailfins
10-03-2015, 11:38 AM
In running my dad's business when people said I am leaving unless you pay me more, give me benefits, etc, its best to let them leave.

That's absolutely right! And... employees should NEVER make such a threat. If an employer makes a counter-offer, the employee should generally refuse it. The employee is branded as disloyal and things go downhill from there. If your employment situation is sub-par, update your resume, search for then accept a better offer and don't look back.

indago
10-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I am reminded of the scene, in Driving Miss Daisy, after Hoke had driven the elderly Miss Daisy Werthan to her brother's Birthday Party, and came back and asked to see Miss Daisy's Son, Boolie, who is now running the family mill business. Hoke told Boolie that while he was there at the Birthday Party residence, they had asked him if he would like to come work for them, and offered him more money. Boolie got up from his chair and walked over to the window and looked out. You could see the concern on his face. Then, it changed. You could see he was thinking "I'm being hustled here!" He went and sat down and offered Hoke a raise in his salary. Hoke mentioned that a little more sounds better, and they agreed.

I really liked that scene. It has stuck in my mind.