PDA

View Full Version : dinners on

WiccanLiberal
10-04-2015, 05:54 PM
V4R made chili that has been simmering all day. I just got the cornbread in the oven. Dinner in about twenty minutes.

Perianne
10-04-2015, 06:01 PM
I worked last night and have slept all day. We're gonna go get Mexican food tonight at a local restaurant. I will cook tomorrow.

What kinda conebread do ya'll like? Southern conebread, I hope! :)

Bilgerat
10-04-2015, 06:02 PM
I love a good chili and cornbread

Unfortunately, cooked tomatoes don't like me (lol)

Perianne
10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
I love a good chili and cornbread

Unfortunately, cooked tomatoes don't like me (lol)

The great thing about chili is there are an infinite different ways to cook it. And pretty much they are all good.

WiccanLiberal
10-04-2015, 06:04 PM
real basic unsweetened but I use the oven not a skillet

Perianne
10-04-2015, 06:05 PM
real basic unsweetened but I use the oven not a skillet

I use the oven, too. Sometimes the skillet, though. And yes, unsweetened is the way to go!

DLT
10-04-2015, 06:10 PM
V4R made chili that has been simmering all day. I just got the cornbread in the oven. Dinner in about twenty minutes.

I've been craving some chili but so far, it's not quite cold enough (yet). But rest assured...I'm going to have that 1st thing as soon as the weather turns yecky. I am so not a chili purist tho. I like to improvise and experiment. Basic ingredients always at first and then I add something to change it up (like chipotle chilies or chocolate or peanut butter/mole chili), raw onions, jalapeno and lots of grated cheese.

Damn....now ya made me hungry for it.....just thinking about it.

Perianne
10-04-2015, 06:21 PM
I've been craving some chili but so far, it's not quite cold enough (yet). But rest assured...I'm going to have that 1st thing as soon as the weather turns yecky. I am so not a chili purist tho. I like to improvise and experiment. Basic ingredients always at first and then I add something to change it up (like chipotle chilies or chocolate or peanut butter/mole chili), raw onions, jalapeno and lots of grated cheese.

Damn....now ya made me hungry for it.....just thinking about it.

There was a guy I used to work with who always talked about how wonderful his chili was. So one day he agreed to make a big pot and bring it in for everyone. It was very good....except he put about 1,000 jalapeño peppers in it. Every bite of chili had a bite of hot pepper.

DLT
10-04-2015, 06:22 PM
There was a guy I used to work with who always talked about how wonderful his chili was. So one day he agreed to make a big pot and bring it in for everyone. It was very good....except he put about 1,000 jalapeño peppers in it. Every bite of chili had a bite of hot pepper.

Yeah....you don't do that. That was kinda stupid. Hot peppers are an acquired taste and anyone that isn't used to it can't handle it. He could have made two batches, one mild and one hot, or put the peppers on the side.

WiccanLiberal
10-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Dinner was pronounced a definite good choice. I've put away the remainder. Some goes with me to work tomorrow and the rest is in the freezer.

DLT
10-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Dinner was pronounced a definite good choice. I've put away the remainder. Some goes with me to work tomorrow and the rest is in the freezer.

Some dishes are actually better as leftovers. Chili and stew are examples of such. There is a small silver lining to the weather getting cold and dweary, I suppose. You can at least look forward to such dishes again....and hot chocolate on a yucky day. Makes the yuck a little less painful. ;)

Bilgerat
10-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Some dishes are actually better as leftovers. Chili and stew are examples of such.

Yeah buddy, I can relate!

My lady makes a mean American Chop Suey. She uses roma tomatoes that are low in acid and cooks them low and slow for a bit, then she'll add the rest of the goodies, let it cool and puts it in the fridge for a day or so.

Man them flavors just get all happy together and are really great later on !

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7749&stc=1

Perianne
10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Some dishes are actually better as leftovers. Chili and stew are examples of such. There is a small silver lining to the weather getting cold and dweary, I suppose. You can at least look forward to such dishes again....and hot chocolate on a yucky day. Makes the yuck a little less painful. ;)

Yep. The chemical reactions need time to do their magic. On Thanksgiving, I make my dressing a day ahead of time and let it set in the fridge and let it do its magic.

Mmmmmm. Dressing. It's nearing that time again. Thanksgiving dinner and Cowboys football; a great combination! And Romo should be back by then!

Motown
10-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Yep. The chemical reactions need time to do their magic. On Thanksgiving, I make my dressing a day ahead of time and let it set in the fridge and let it do its magic.

Mmmmmm. Dressing. It's nearing that time again. Thanksgiving dinner and Cowboys football; a great combination! And Romo should be back by then!

I love what you said except for one thing...it's Lions on Thanksgiving, not Cowboys

Perianne
10-05-2015, 02:17 PM
I love what you said except for one thing...it's Lions on Thanksgiving, not Cowboys

D'oh!

Voted4Reagan
10-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Tonight I am making her slow cooked BBQ Chicken.... been simmering for hours already....

DLT
10-09-2015, 01:38 PM

Finally getting my chili fix on today.....

went to the store yesterday and got the ingredients. The only thing different I did was to add fresh tomatoes instead of tomato paste, and I only used one can of beans.

Got a pot simmering on the stove right now...hehe.

This is the basic recipe I followed. Oh, and I totally forgot that I'm out of cumin, so no damned cumin (crap). Oh well...I'll add extra cheese in the bowl to kill that pain.

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/01/southwest-chicken-chili.html

DLT
10-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah buddy, I can relate!

My lady makes a mean American Chop Suey. She uses roma tomatoes that are low in acid and cooks them low and slow for a bit, then she'll add the rest of the goodies, let it cool and puts it in the fridge for a day or so.

Man them flavors just get all happy together and are really great later on !

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7749&stc=1

In fact...I just added a bunch of chopped up roma tomatoes to my pot of chili today. Can't wait...(drool).

DLT
10-09-2015, 01:43 PM

It's a lot of work (making Thanksgiving Dinner for family) but since it only comes once a year, I still do it. I have cooked TG dinner for my ex-husband and stepson and my best gf for the past three years. This year we may also have my stepson's fiancé and their child together (don't ask).