PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your family history?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-05-2015, 09:06 AM
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.lindley/705/mb.ashx

Lindley Family History
Lindley Name Meaning English: habitational name from either of two places in West Yorkshire called Lindley, or from Linley in Shropshire and Wiltshire, all named from Old English lin ‘flax’ + leah ‘wood’, ‘glade’, with epenthetic -d-, or from another Lindley in West Yorkshire (near Otley), named in Old English as ‘lime wood’, from lind ‘lime tree’ + leah ‘woodland clearing’. Lindley in Leicestershire probably also has this origin, and is a further possible source of the surname.German: habitational name from places in Bavaria and Hannover called Lindloh, meaning ‘lime grove’, or a topographic name with the same meaning (see Linde + Loh).
Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press
716,055 Historical Documents with Lindley on Ancestry
160,389 Birth, Marriage, and Deaths 13,218 Military Records 6,970 Immigration Records 91,167 Census and Voter Lists 444,311 Member Trees

Is Ryan Lindley, the quarterback of the Arizona Cardinals, a member of my Lindleys?
spmarch (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2015 6:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lindley, Hadley, Dix
The Quaker Lindleys from England by way of Ireland in the early 1700's.

I was doing some research and found this bit of info on my family history.

Quoted below is my family branch ,

The Quaker Lindleys from England by way of Ireland in the early 1700's.

Later they became primarily baptist preachers, furniture makers, soldiers, writers and doctors.-Tyr

Noir
10-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Not something i've invested any time in, however my partner has spent a fair bit of time looking into her family tree, and fleshed it out quite well with a few odd stories. The most interesting of which is that the current spelling of her surname seems to have come from an administrational error in one of her great-great-grandfathers marriage documents, bless bureaucracy - ever dependable.

gabosaurus
10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
My dad has traced his family history back to living in Galveston, Texas in the 1800s.
My mom's history is more indeterminate as no one has really traced it back very far.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Not something i've invested any time in, however my partner has spent a fair bit of time looking into her family tree, and fleshed it out quite well with a few odd stories. The most interesting of which is that the current spelling of her surname seems to have come from an administrational error in one of her great-great-grandfathers marriage documents, bless bureaucracy - ever dependable.

Could be worth your time finding out. Sometimes it puts a whole new light on why we are what we are and why we act as we do IMHO. BLOODLINES BEING A MAJOR SOURCE OF WHAT MAKES US WHAT AND WHO WE ARE. I suspect perhaps even more that the culture we are born into and raised in.-Tyr

Gunny
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Could be worth your time finding out. Sometimes it puts a whole new light on why we are what we are and why we act as we do IMHO. BLOODLINES BEING A MAJOR SOURCE OF WHAT MAKES US WHAT AND WHO WE ARE. I suspect perhaps even more that the culture we are born into and raised in.-Tyr

Combination of lots of things. A lot has to do with heritage. A lot has to do with environment.