PDA

View Full Version : Students warned: Bulging biceps, big guns advance unhealthy masculinity

Nukeman
10-05-2015, 02:29 PM
So now its not right to be a guy who takes pride in how he looks and takes care of himself physically!! It now appears that it is also bad to tell a teenager, young man, or ANY man for that part to "Be a Man"

I am so tired of the evisceration of males that we all have to be touchy/feely kind of guys that should be in touch with our feminine side. You know what, sometimes you NEED to be a MAN. This is just another way to bash men and boys. I love this part..

One event featured a screening of the limited-release documentary The Mask You Live In, which blames “America’s narrow definition of masculinity” for the deteriorating mental health of boys and men.

Actually the problem is telling boys they CAN'T be BOYS and must somehow act like perfect little angels all the time.. If you let boys ACT like boys they get the aggression out of their systems and that doesn't spill over into day-to-day life. Unfortunately we are at a time when they are supposed to bottle it all up and we wonder why some snap!!! I can't even begin to understand the stupidity in this presentation!!!!

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/ (http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/)

Gunny
10-05-2015, 02:32 PM
So now its not right to be a guy who takes pride in how he looks and takes care of himself physically!! It now appears that it is also bad to tell a teenager, young man, or ANY man for that part to "Be a Man"

I am so tired of the evisceration of males that we all have to be touchy/feely kind of guys that should be in touch with our feminine side. You know what, sometimes you NEED to be a MAN. This is just another way to bash men and boys. I love this part..

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Actually the problem is telling boys they CAN'T be BOYS and must somehow act like perfect little angels all the time.. If you let boys ACT like boys they get the aggression out of their systems and that doesn't spill over into day-to-day life. Unfortunately we are at a time when they are supposed to bottle it all up and we wonder why some snap!!! I can't even begin to understand the stupidity in this presentation!!!!

(http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/)http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/

Deja vu? We were all stupid back in the 70s. Lifting weights and having muscles = no brain.

Now it's happening again?

Nukeman
10-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Deja vu? We were all stupid back in the 70s. Lifting weights and having muscles = no brain.

Now it's happening again?Yep, I think back a few years ago we have friends that would always talk about the wrestlers and how they were a bunch of meat-heads including our son (who is finishing up an BS in Mechanical Engineering). Funny fast forward and most of them are college graduates with great potential, in fact the guys in question all had high GPA's and one received the Lilly Endowment, a full ride to ANY college he wanted to attend. Yup a bunch of guys "being men" and doing what they wanted yet somehow they are all intelligent/compassionate and well rounded all that without someone telling them to act more like a lady!!!!:laugh:

Gunny
10-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Yep, I think back a few years ago we have friends that would always talk about the wrestlers and how they were a bunch of meat-heads including our son (who is finishing up an BS in Mechanical Engineering). Funny fast forward and most of them are college graduates with great potential, in fact the guys in question all had high GPA's and one received the Lilly Endowment, a full ride to ANY college he wanted to attend. Yup a bunch of guys "being men" and doing what they wanted yet somehow they are all intelligent/compassionate and well rounded all that without someone telling them to act more like a lady!!!!:laugh:

I just remember when you almost had to hide out when you lifted weights, and we all wore oversized shirts to try and hide the muscle in the 70s. Then Rambo comes out in the 80s and suddenly everyone's got to be a stud.

And anyone waiting on ME to act like a lady is pipe dreaming. I'm old school. I like men that act like men and I'm as alpha male as it gets. What does he say in that Kurt Russel movie? "Soldiers deserve soldiers, sir". I don't want to fight with some puke. I laugh at them. Biggest weapon's usually their flapping gums. Come at me like a man and we'll play.

I appreciate the time and effort athletes put into themselves because I've always been one and the countless hours I spent training cost me a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Got issues from it now but I wouldn't change a minute of it. I had so much fun .....

Perianne
10-05-2015, 05:07 PM
I prefer manly men. I don't want someone as big as those ridiculous bodybuilders, but I do like some strong arms.

Nukeman
10-05-2015, 05:18 PM
I just remember when you almost had to hide out when you lifted weights, and we all wore oversized shirts to try and hide the muscle in the 70s. Then Rambo comes out in the 80s and suddenly everyone's got to be a stud.

And anyone waiting on ME to act like a lady is pipe dreaming. I'm old school. I like men that act like men and I'm as alpha male as it gets. What does he say in that Kurt Russel movie? "Soldiers deserve soldiers, sir". I don't want to fight with some puke. I laugh at them. Biggest weapon's usually their flapping gums. Come at me like a man and we'll play.

I appreciate the time and effort athletes put into themselves because I've always been one and the countless hours I spent training cost me a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Got issues from it now but I wouldn't change a minute of it. I had so much fun .....
I picked my first "real" weights my Freshman year in High school. I weighed in at 135 by the time I graduated I was 195 and benched over 350, squatted 650 and dead lifted 450.

Today.... well I hover around that damn 210 and it drives me crazy. Still lift more than most of the younger guys at the gym. My back can't do the dead lifting anymore but I still do pretty darn good at my bench and squat. I have started the muscle confusion more of late to try and get some weight off.. Its pain getting older......:beer:

Elessar
10-05-2015, 05:27 PM

I was tall and lanky...benched 250, squatted 600, and deadlifted 700...curled 150. But I was fast, played linebacker in college and ran
a 4.5 40...not bad for a white guy. I could not catch a pass to save myself, but batted a lot away.

I was undefeated in wrestling at the 198 class in intramurals and also in the 50 and 100 yard freestyle swim...I swam with Michael Phelps
dad who was a strong safety on the football team. That bastard could HIT!

Now my knees and back are wrecked....but I would do it all over again.:laugh:

Gunny
10-05-2015, 06:56 PM
I picked my first "real" weights my Freshman year in High school. I weighed in at 135 by the time I graduated I was 195 and benched over 350, squatted 650 and dead lifted 450.

Today.... well I hover around that damn 210 and it drives me crazy. Still lift more than most of the younger guys at the gym. My back can't do the dead lifting anymore but I still do pretty darn good at my bench and squat. I have started the muscle confusion more of late to try and get some weight off.. Its pain getting older......:beer:

I hear you loud and clear brother. Sounds like you and I lifted about the same in all lifts. Sorry, you got the deadlift and squat reverses for me. I could dedlift 675, but if I tried to squat THAT somebody'd be scraping my ass off the floor from THAT one-way trip. :laugh: The squat is always what hurt me because I ran 3-5 miles a day, played basketball and practiced martial arts. I burnt my candle at both ends. My lift was the clean and press. All that bench press junk came out after my time. I could clean and and press 235 when I weighed about 160.

Gunny
10-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I was tall and lanky...benched 250, squatted 600, and deadlifted 700...curled 150. But I was fast, played linebacker in college and ran
a 4.5 40...not bad for a white guy. I could not catch a pass to save myself, but batted a lot away.

I was undefeated in wrestling at the 198 class in intramurals and also in the 50 and 100 yard freestyle swim...I swam with Michael Phelps
dad who was a strong safety on the football team. That bastard could HIT!

Now my knees and back are wrecked....but I would do it all over again.:laugh:

I played strong safety and outside linebacker and Jack Lambert was MY hero. If your head was still attached after I hit you, you just got lucky. And FYI, I play basketball like Jack Lambert too. Come into the paint. You ain't shootin' that ball.

Elessar
10-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I hear you loud and clear brother. Sounds like you and I lifted about the same in all lifts. Sorry, you got the deadlift and squat reverses for me. I could dedlift 675, but if I tried to squat THAT somebody'd be scraping my ass off the floor from THAT one-way trip. :laugh: The squat is always what hurt me because I ran 3-5 miles a day, played basketball and practiced martial arts. I burnt my candle at both ends. My lift was the clean and press. All that bench press junk came out after my time. I could clean and and press 235 when I weighed about 160.

I did the Martial Arts, too. I just do not brag about it. It came in handy bouncing coal mining bars. The power curls and upright rows were great for thrust.

Elessar
10-05-2015, 07:35 PM
I played strong safety and outside linebacker and Jack Lambert was MY hero. If your head was still attached after I hit you, you just got lucky. And FYI, I play basketball like Jack Lambert too. Come into the paint. You ain't shootin' that ball.

I Loved Lambert...in basketball I was a center on defense...the paint was mine!

Gunny
10-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I Loved Lambert...in basketball I was a center on defense...the paint was mine!

Strong forward. I'm 5'10'. If people got far in I couldn't defend against someone over 6'2". And I can shoot. Makes it simple. If your game is I'm going to the hole on you, you're gonna lose. I'll stand outside the 3 point line and nail your ass to the wall.