PDA

View Full Version : kindergarten

WiccanLiberal
10-05-2015, 07:53 PM
The Joyful, Illiterate Kindergartners of Finlandhttp://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/the-joyful-illiterate-kindergartners-of-finland/408325/

Fascinating article about how kindergarten prepares kids (or not). Maybe there are a few lessons to take away.
"Throughout Finland, kindergarten teachers and parents meet during the fall to make an individualized learning plan, shaped by each child’s interests and levels of readiness, which could include the goal of learning how to read. For Finnish kindergartners who seem primed for reading instruction, Holappa told me it’s still possible to teach them in a playful manner. "

Yes I know much smaller population etc but if it's what benefits the kids, can we see the way to adapting it?

fj1200
10-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Yes I know much smaller population etc but if it's what benefits the kids, can we see the way to adapting it?

Highly unlikely. We need to make up for the sins of the educational system by placing too many expectations on students.

Motown
10-06-2015, 08:18 AM
The Joyful, Illiterate Kindergartners of Finland

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/the-joyful-illiterate-kindergartners-of-finland/408325/

Fascinating article about how kindergarten prepares kids (or not). Maybe there are a few lessons to take away.
"Throughout Finland, kindergarten teachers and parents meet during the fall to make an individualized learning plan, shaped by each child’s interests and levels of readiness, which could include the goal of learning how to read. For Finnish kindergartners who seem primed for reading instruction, Holappa told me it’s still possible to teach them in a playful manner. "

I read this article before I logged in today. That's the way kindergarten was when I was a kid, the only kids who had a lot of work to do were the kids who couldn't read but when I was a kid most of us knew how to read before we went to kindergarten. And we had half days.

Gunny
10-06-2015, 03:23 PM
The Joyful, Illiterate Kindergartners of Finland

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/the-joyful-illiterate-kindergartners-of-finland/408325/

I was a kindergarten drop out. All we did was play. Now it's a requirement and we STILL have the dumbest kids in our history. We used to have to do the work. Now it's send the kids home with something for the parent to do.

What are we really teaching them? Mommy and Daddy can do it for you.

I used to be stoned off my butt, eating Chips Ahoys with a big glass of milk, Tom n Jerry on the tube and doing my own homework. And it ain't about me. We ALL did that. Now they need a computer and parental assistance. I flat out told my daughter's second grade teacher that I passed second grade in 1967 and didn't need a review.

fj1200
10-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Delaying kindergarten until age 7 offers key benefits to kids — study (https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/10/07/delaying-kindergarten-until-age-7-offers-key-benefits-to-kids-study/)

“We found that delaying kindergarten for one year reduced inattention and hyperactivity by 73 percent for an average child at age 11 and it virtually eliminated the probability that an average child at that age would have an ‘abnormal,’ or higher-than-normal rating for the inattentive-hyperactive behavioral measure.”

Perianne
10-08-2015, 01:55 AM
I am lucky I was able to be a success as I never attended kindergarten. If the schools and teachers would teach like they did when I was young, they wouldn't need kindergarten. The whole bunch of them seems incompetent.