PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to DC

Trigg
10-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Nuke and I are taking our two younger sons to DC this weekend. :dance:

Our senior has been wanting to visit the Washington Memorial and Museum of Science and Industry for a while now and since it's his senior year I didn't want to put it off any longer. It gets nearly impossible to schedule vacations when they leave high school.

We're taking the metro from Fredericksburg, I don't want Nuke having a heart attack from yelling at DC drivers. :laugh:

See you all when we return

Gunny
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Our senior has been wanting to visit the Washington Memorial and Museum of Science and Industry for a while now and since it's his senior year I didn't want to put it off any longer. It gets nearly impossible to schedule vacations when they leave high school.

We're taking the metro from Fredericksburg, I don't want Nuke having a heart attack from yelling at DC drivers. :laugh:

Check first. They always have one of those damned monuments closed for renovation.

And yeah, that trip up 95-395 is a bitch. 2-3 mph the whole way. I was going to suggest a place to stay, but if you're going from Fredricksburg, you're good. Just don't stay in the District. Especially SE. They're waiting on you.

Trigg
10-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Check first. They always have one of those damned monuments closed for renovation.

And yeah, that trip up 95-395 is a bitch. 2-3 mph the whole way. I was going to suggest a place to stay, but if you're going from Fredricksburg, you're good. Just don't stay in the District. Especially SE. They're waiting on you.

We weren't able to get an advance tour set up for the Washington Monument, we have to get there early on a first come first served basis. Since that's one of the main places my son wants to see it worries me. Other than that I think we'll be fine.

Gunny
10-06-2015, 03:04 PM
We weren't able to get an advance tour set up for the Washington Monument, we have to get there early on a first come first served basis. Since that's one of the main places my son wants to see it worries me. Other than that I think we'll be fine.

Unless it's changed, that won't be an issue. Nobody goes up in that danged thing. It's just a (as Achmed says) a tribute to Bill Clinton in the center of the mall. The Smithsonian is WAY better. The Capitol sucks. The Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials are okay, but boring. I'm sorry but I have little appreciation for sightseeing. I understand others like it.

The Lee-Custis House in Arlington is interesting. You go back down 395 and make a left you can see George Washington's home. AND, the home of Lighthorse Harry Lee and birthplace of RE Lee is around Fredericksburg. Have to pardon me not remembering exact locations. Been awhile.:laugh:

Stafford.

Perianne
10-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Who is Nuke?

Gunny
10-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Who is Nuke?

I assume it's NukyularMan. Been around forever. He's a good guy even when he disagrees with me because he's wrong. :laugh: Actually, he's a good guy. Used to post on Jim's original board.

Trigg
10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
I assume it's NukyularMan. Been around forever. He's a good guy even when he disagrees with me because he's wrong. :laugh: Actually, he's a good guy. Used to post on Jim's original board.
Yep, that's my hubby! Thanks for the suggestions on what else to visit

Gunny
10-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Yep, that's my hubby! Thanks for the suggestions on what else to visit

Whatever you do, do NOT go east of the 14th St Bridge after dark. The 14th Street bridge begins where 395 ends. You make a hard left in front of the Pentagon and cross the Memorial Bridge and you'll be close to Dupont Circle. Bunch of Gerorgetown college preppies. Nothing good comes out at night in SE DC.

Trigg
10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Just made it through Columbus ohio......they had the bypass torn up😡 what a mess. Nuke is handling the drive pretty well so far with a minimum of swear words lol. I'm Now very glad we're taking the metro into DC

Motown
10-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Columbus, Ohio. Don't worry too much about the smell, once you get about 30 miles away it'll disappear.

fj1200
10-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Washington Memorial? As you said, get there early and try to get your ticket. Do you mean Arts and Industries? It's closed for renovation has been for over a year so we missed it last year. :( Like the Washington Memorial the Capitol and White House require some advance planning but I think you can get into the Capitol but you'll have to wait in a longer line. We were there in September a year ago and the weather was great, not to hot to walk those many miles and the sites weren't too busy.

I didn't think the Metro went out to Fredericksburg. We drove in and parked, because it was cheaper for five of us, and did a lot of walking.

Unless it's changed, that won't be an issue. Nobody goes up in that danged thing.

You bet they do. Plan early plan often.

Bilgerat
10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
I don't know how you're planning to wander thru DC, but if I can make a suggestion.

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/

tailfins
10-07-2015, 10:01 AM

What if you buy a box of frozen waffles and give them to Senator Mitch McConnell?

Trigg
10-10-2015, 04:29 PM
We managed to see most of the monuments and museums on my sons list. The WW11 memorial and the changing of the guards at Arlington were emotional. I'll post pictures when we get home , my phone isn't cooperating

Black Diamond
10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
We managed to see most of the monuments and museums on my sons list. The WW11 memorial and the changing of the guards at Arlington were emotional. I'll post pictures when we get home , my phone isn't cooperating

Changing of the guard is awesome. Hopefully you got to see the Constitution before Obama completely shreds it :cool:

Nukeman
10-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Well I have to say it was a Great trip. Washington DC was wonderful. The Constitution display was impressive and the Rotunda was amazing (no pics.. not allowed) I do believe every person voted in needs to go READ it before sitting in their chair...

Walked to Arlington from the Lincoln Memorial and were able to watch the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, plus a Wreath Ceremony with Taps (both Very moving and powerful).

Spent a lot of time at the Museum of Air and Space, the boys loved that.

The Library of Congress in a word.. STUNNING, I could not believe the artwork inside and the architecture. we have a large amount of pictures taken in and around DC on our camera will have to post some soon.

Taking the train in was a great Idea by Trigg, I would have killed someone before we ever reached DC, while on the train home Trigg was talking to a couple of FBI guys and they were saying that if you hit the times wrong it can take over 3-4 hours to enter DC..

Glad we went the day we did due to the "Million man march reunion" lots of people with chips on their shoulders blaming us for all their ills.. Would not have been pretty...

Gunny
10-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Just made it through Columbus ohio......they had the bypass torn up what a mess. Nuke is handling the drive pretty well so far with a minimum of swear words lol. I'm Now very glad we're taking the metro into DC

Minimum swear words? Slacker. :laugh:

Gunny
10-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't know how you're planning to wander thru DC, but if I can make a suggestion.

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/

A bicycle works best.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Well I have to say it was a Great trip. Washington DC was wonderful. The Constitution display was impressive and the Rotunda was amazing (no pics.. not allowed) I do believe every person voted in needs to go READ it before sitting in their chair...

Walked to Arlington from the Lincoln Memorial and were able to watch the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, plus a Wreath Ceremony with Taps (both Very moving and powerful).

Spent a lot of time at the Museum of Air and Space, the boys loved that.

The Library of Congress in a word.. STUNNING, I could not believe the artwork inside and the architecture. we have a large amount of pictures taken in and around DC on our camera will have to post some soon.

Taking the train in was a great Idea by Trigg, I would have killed someone before we ever reached DC, while on the train home Trigg was talking to a couple of FBI guys and they were saying that if you hit the times wrong it can take over 3-4 hours to enter DC..

Glad we went the day we did due to the "Million man march reunion" lots of people with chips on their shoulders blaming us for all their ills.. Would not have been pretty...

That ain't no shit. Should drive it every day for a couple of years. I think I invented new cusswords unknown to the rest of mankind. :laugh:

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
I have been to London over 10 times now. Dirty/loud/smelling. I would advise people to not go on the tube on a hot day as well.

Speaking about the states I have only visited once around 10 years ago Orlando Florida.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 10:19 AM
I have been to London over 10 times now. Dirty/loud/smelling. I would advise people to not go on the tube on a hot day as well.

Speaking about the states I have only visited once around 10 years ago Orlando Florida.

Orlando was cool before Disney moved in. Now it's a mess. Takes forever to get anywhere there anymore. There are more foreigners and yankees there than Floridians anymore.

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Orlando was cool before Disney moved in. Now it's a mess. Takes forever to get anywhere there anymore. There are more foreigners and yankees there than Floridians anymore.
You can get lost easily, especially among the sprawling hotel districts. We got lost for about 2 hours driving around in a taxi trying to find the hotel.

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 10:41 AM
You can get lost easily, especially among the sprawling hotel districts. We got lost for about 2 hours driving around in a taxi trying to find the hotel.

Wait, the Taxi Driver got lost??

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 10:42 AM
New arrival I think, Indian. Or he just had no idea of the hotel we were talking about.

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 10:54 AM
New arrival I think, Indian. Or he just had no idea of the hotel we were talking about.

I strongly suspect he was pretending to be lost so he could gouge you on the Taxi bill. That happens to obvious foreigners by unscrupulous vendors quite a bit.

How much was the final cost?

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I strongly suspect he was pretending to be lost so he could gouge you on the Taxi bill. That happens to obvious foreigners by unscrupulous vendors quite a bit.

How much was the final cost?
Yeah probably. About $120 in the end.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 10:59 AM

I'll take your word for it. I lived in South Florida most of my teenage years. Streets there are a grid. You just have to know how they work.

Sounds to me like you go taken by a taxi driver. Meter running, right? Asshole. Always someone scamming someone. Doesn't take that long to find a hotel in Orlando. ESPECIALLY for a taxi driver. People like that infuriate me.

Let me guess, you got a British accent. Went to Orlando to go to Disneyworld and Epcot. Pardon my language, but they were waiting on you. Bunch of jackoffs.

Now how do you think *I* would fare in Scotland where my family is from? Would I come home with a claymore and a half dozen kilts from some other clan's colors? :laugh:

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll take your word for it. I lived in South Florida most of my teenage years. Streets there are a grid. You just have to know how they work.

Sounds to me like you go taken by a taxi driver. Meter running, right? Asshole. Always someone scamming someone. Doesn't take that long to find a hotel in Orlando. ESPECIALLY for a taxi driver. People like that infuriate me.

Let me guess, you got a British accent. Went to Orlando to go to Disneyworld and Epcot. Pardon my language, but they were waiting on you. Bunch of jackoffs.

Now how do you think *I* would fare in Scotland where my family is from? Would I come home with a claymore and a half dozen kilts from some other clan's colors? :laugh:
When I went to Egypt there were people trying to con you left right and center, at least they were obvious about it.

In Egypt you have to negotiate the taxi price before closing the door else the driver will lock the doors until you give them money.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 11:10 AM
When I went to Egypt there were people trying to con you left right and center, at least they were obvious about it.

In Egypt you have to negotiate the taxi price before closing the door else the driver will lock the doors until you give them money.

You should try Southeast Asia. You get a crowd following you if you have money. Knock-off cologne, beads, you name it.

What they do to tourists here is take you on a roundabout ride with the meter running pretending they don't understand where you want to go. I used to deliver pizza. If you don't know where I'm going and how to get there, you're stopping the car and I'm getting out. We ain't playing that game. Typical tourist ripoff trap.

When I was in Greece and Turkey we always rode the bus. Only used cabs in Okinawa and they were always honest about it.

Had some big boats in the Middle East. Didn't need a cab. :)

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 11:20 AM
You should try Southeast Asia. You get a crowd following you if you have money. Knock-off cologne, beads, you name it.

What they do to tourists here is take you on a roundabout ride with the meter running pretending they don't understand where you want to go. I used to deliver pizza. If you don't know where I'm going and how to get there, you're stopping the car and I'm getting out. We ain't playing that game. Typical tourist ripoff trap.

When I was in Greece and Turkey we always rode the bus. Only used cabs in Okinawa and they were always honest about it.

Had some big boats in the Middle East. Didn't need a cab. :)
Pyramids were a nightmare, some arab men trying to complement us just to give them money. Ridiculous. Trying to enjoy the wonders of the world and they are irritating us.

Then there were the people trying to sell us 'wooden' statues telling us they were wood when we knew they were plastic. There were some kids there as well trying to sell people stuff.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 11:22 AM

You don't get lost in South Florida. Everything is an E-W, N-S grid and the street numbers always relate to the cross street.

Why am I telling YOU this? Didn't you used to live there?

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 11:24 AM
You don't get lost in South Florida. Everything is an E-W, N-S grid and the street numbers always relate to the cross street.

Nope! I've never been to FL, I'm sad to say.

It always irks me to hear about Taxi Drivers taking advantage of tourists. It happens up here, too.

Christie Brinkley
10-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Not in Orlando, I lived in Maine after my 'holiday';). Thinking of it taxi drivers don't usually forget hotel names. Just another con.

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Not in Orlando, I lived in Maine after my 'holiday';). Thinking of it taxi drivers don't usually forget hotel names. Just another con.

Yep. That's like a Taxi Driver getting 'lost' trying to find the airport.

You got scammed, but I'm a firm believer in Karma. He'll pay for it in spades.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Sorry, that was a response to Nightrain. IIRC, he lived in Florida before he moved to Alaska. Talk about a whack job :laugh:

And yeah, just another con. That crap gets old. Just earn your money fair and square.

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Sorry, that was a response to Nightrain. IIRC, he lived in Florida before he moved to Alaska. Talk about a whack job :laugh:

And yeah, just another con. That crap gets old. Just earn your money fair and square.

No, born in St. Paul, then to AK, I lived in El Paso for a year at 6, Northern Wisconsin for a couple years, couple years in Colorado and then back to AK. Military brat for the first decade of life, so that's why the bouncing around.

I've done quite a bit of traveling as an adult, but never to the East Coast whatsoever yet... something we're going to remedy soon. I want those cheap fresh lobsters in Maine!

This DC trip that Nukey and Trigg are on is something we're going to do in the next year or 2, along with a visit to NYC to drink Jim's beer at some point.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 12:31 PM
No, born in St. Paul, then to AK, I lived in El Paso for a year at 6, Northern Wisconsin for a couple years, couple years in Colorado and then back to AK. Military brat for the first decade of life, so that's why the bouncing around.

I've done quite a bit of traveling as an adult, but never to the East Coast whatsoever yet... something we're going to remedy soon. I want those cheap fresh lobsters in Maine!

This DC trip that Nukey and Trigg are on is something we're going to do in the next year or 2, along with a visit to NYC to drink Jim's beer at some point.

El Paso? I'd have had to shoot myself. :laugh:

NightTrain
10-12-2015, 12:35 PM
El Paso? I'd have had to shoot myself. :laugh:

Yep, good ol' Ft. Bliss! lol, I remember what a horrible place El Paso was... and it has to be awful for a 6 year old to remember it that way.

I remember getting spanked by the old man for destroying a cactus in our back yard with a hatchet. I'd been playing near it and naturally got stabbed by it, so it seemed reasonable to remove the hazard from my favorite Hot Wheels area! Turns out that Mom was pretty fond of that cactus, so I paid the price.

Come to think of it, I haven't attacked a cactus since then.

Gunny
10-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Yep, good ol' Ft. Bliss! lol, I remember what a horrible place El Paso was... and it has to be awful for a 6 year old to remember it that way.

I remember getting spanked by the old man for destroying a cactus in our back yard with a hatchet. I'd been playing near it and naturally got stabbed by it, so it seemed reasonable to remove the hazard from my favorite Hot Wheels area! Turns out that Mom was pretty fond of that cactus, so I paid the price.

Come to think of it, I haven't attacked a cactus since then.

F-ing evil cacti ...:laugh: