PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 11:48 AM
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace John Boehner, stunned his Republican colleagues on Thursday by withdrawing from the race -- a decision that will postpone the vote for speaker.

Fox News is told McCarthy simply said it was not his time. McCarthy faced opposition from some conservative members and groups, but was thought to have more than enough support to win the party's nomination in the vote initially set for Thursday.

It's unclear what specifically made McCarthy change his mind and drop out.

The shocking decision came shortly after House Republicans met to select their nominee for speaker. McCarthy was running against Reps. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, and Daniel Webster, R-Fla., before he dropped out.

He gave no indication of dropping out earlier in the day. "It's going to go great," McCarthy said Thursday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/08/mccarthy-withdraws/

Motown
10-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Maybe the TP contingent is stronger than we've been led to believe.

tailfins
10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
:dance::dance::dance:

Black Diamond
10-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Pleasantly surprised. We don't need a Bonehead clone.

Black Diamond
10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
McCarthy is an idiot. Hillary ran ads showing what he said about Benghazi.

Gunny
10-08-2015, 03:05 PM
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace John Boehner, stunned his Republican colleagues on Thursday by withdrawing from the race -- a decision that will postpone the vote for speaker.

Fox News is told McCarthy simply said it was not his time. McCarthy faced opposition from some conservative members and groups, but was thought to have more than enough support to win the party's nomination in the vote initially set for Thursday.

It's unclear what specifically made McCarthy change his mind and drop out.

The shocking decision came shortly after House Republicans met to select their nominee for speaker. McCarthy was running against Reps. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, and Daniel Webster, R-Fla., before he dropped out.

He gave no indication of dropping out earlier in the day. "It's going to go great," McCarthy said Thursday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/08/mccarthy-withdraws/

I don't know why anyone is stunned. I wouldn't want the job if I was a wimp. And if you got stones, the left is coming after you with every accusation imaginable until you're hounded out of office. I sure as Hell wouldn't want to one of the 90s Contract with America do-nothings. In case they haven't noticed, they aren't real popular with the right these days.

What I don't get is this vote thing. Long as I can remember it's been next senior person.

Black Diamond
10-08-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't know why anyone is stunned. I wouldn't want the job if I was a wimp. And if you got stones, the left is coming after you with every accusation imaginable until you're hounded out of office. I sure as Hell wouldn't want to one of the 90s Contract with America do-nothings. In case they haven't noticed, they aren't real popular with the right these days.

What I don't get is this vote thing. Long as I can remember it's been next senior person.
I was stunned until I saw the stupid stuff he said about Hillary and Benghazi. He wanted this position. But I am glad he didn't get it. He's a mealy mouthed dipshit. And would probably make as many gaffes as Biden and Romney put together if put in the spotlight.

Gunny
10-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I was stunned until I saw the stupid stuff he said about Hillary and Benghazi. He wanted this position. But I am glad he didn't get it. He's a mealy mouthed dipshit. And would probably make as many gaffes as Biden and Romney put together if put in the spotlight.

You got the mealy-mouthed dipshit part right. These old-time Republicans spend more time trying to not offend anyone while not realizing the Dems don't give a crap who they offend. I'm offended by Obama the second his lips move.

But I can't stand pussies. You signed up, do your job.