PDA

View Full Version : Conversation pet peeves

Russ
10-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Here are some conversational mannerisms that I hear a lot at work, that kind of drive me nuts:

1. Repeating the last sentence word for word. If no one asked "what did you just say?", then there is no reason to repeat your last sentence, except to waste my time.

2. Starting a sentence with the word "again", even though you're NOT repeating yourself. As in someone says, "Again, the solution to this problem is to reorganize everything", even though that person didn't recently say "The solution is to reorganize everything". Maybe they said it to someone last Tuesday, but that doesn't count today.

3. Saying "I'd do such and such, but that's just me". 'Such and such' is always some admirable deed, and the implication is that other people wouldn't do it. My guess is usually that in reality other people would do it, but the speaker probably wouldn't.

4. Being asked "are you really, really busy right now?". Implication is that if you're not working on Manhattan Project #2 right now, then you must have plenty of time to help the speaker with whatever he can't do by himself.

Anyone else have any?

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I hate to hear "Can you help me?" Even if the job calls for it. :laugh: And then I tell them "RTFM", but never really tell them that it means "read the fuc&^ing manual". Because the majority of calls are "OE" which is operator error. :)

Gunny
10-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Here are some conversational mannerisms that I hear a lot at work, that kind of drive me nuts:

1. Repeating the last sentence word for word. If no one asked "what did you just say?", then there is no reason to repeat your last sentence, except to waste my time.

2. Starting a sentence with the word "again", even though you're NOT repeating yourself. As in someone says, "Again, the solution to this problem is to reorganize everything", even though that person didn't recently say "The solution is to reorganize everything". Maybe they said it to someone last Tuesday, but that doesn't count today.

3. Saying "I'd do such and such, but that's just me". 'Such and such' is always some admirable deed, and the implication is that other people wouldn't do it. My guess is usually that in reality other people would do it, but the speaker probably wouldn't.

4. Being asked "are you really, really busy right now?". Implication is that if you're not working on Manhattan Project #2 right now, then you must have plenty of time to help the speaker with whatever he can't do by himself.

Anyone else have any?

Bad day? :laugh:

Hot water heater. WTF you think a water heater makes?

Same difference. There is no difference that is the same.

The sad thing is, I hear journalists on TV saying dumb crap like this. When I was in school you had to be in honor's English to even get into journalism.

DLT
10-08-2015, 04:10 PM

1. Repeating the last sentence word for word. If no one asked "what did you just say?", then there is no reason to repeat your last sentence, except to waste my time.3. Saying "I'd do such and such, but that's just me". 'Such and such' is always some admirable deed, and the implication is that other people wouldn't do it. My guess is usually that in reality other people would do it, but the speaker probably wouldn't.

Anyone else have any?

People that say axe instead of ask. People that say "like" every other word. People that say "ya know" every other word as if they think you're too stupid to comprehend their blather.

How my ex always says "What happens is" when talking about something that happened in the past. It's not "is"....it's "was" and that would make it "happened". Drives me nuts(ier).

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Same difference. There is no difference that is the same.

The difference between 3-2 and 2-1 is the same. Same difference, no? :poke:

Gunny
10-08-2015, 04:20 PM
The difference between 3-2 and 2-1 is the same. Same difference, no? :poke:

Jackass. That's not how it's used in conversation. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Jackass. That's not how it's used in conversation. :laugh:

Yeah, I believe I was messing with ya Gunny! :lol: Yank the other chain and it plays jingle bells. :laugh:

Perianne
10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I hate it when guys expect me to put out just because they bought me dinner.

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:32 PM

1st date or 2nd date, burger joint or fancy steak house?

I kid, I kid!!! :laugh:

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:32 PM

Btw, your latest avatar rules!

Gunny
10-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I believe I was messing with ya Gunny! :lol: Yank the other chain and it plays jingle bells. :laugh:

By Achmed?

jimnyc
10-08-2015, 04:37 PM
By Achmed?

Achmed rules. But I actually heard that term used long before Achmed came onto the scene. Maybe got changed up, yank my chain, pull my leg...

hjmick
10-08-2015, 04:38 PM
People who use the word "literally" when what they really mean is "figuratively." Really? Your head "literally blew up?" Fuck you.

People start with, "Can I ask you a question?" Hey dumbass, you just did...

There are others...

People who say, "Let's de-thaw some chicken for dinner." What the fuck?

Gunny
10-08-2015, 04:54 PM
If we're on pet peeves here, why do some people put shit on the board just any old where? It ain't like there aren't subforums to cover it. I already can't find shit. You put it in a subforum unrelated to the topic I sure as Hell can't find it.

And before anyone says it, don't EVEN suggest me using the search. I've run two boards, don't know how many I've been a member of and I STILL have no idea how to use that. I'm a jarhead. Y'all act like everyone around here is a rocket scientist. I break stuff.

Put the crap where it goes and PLEASE stop making 10 different threads on the same topic? Just a request.

SassyLady
10-08-2015, 05:45 PM
People who say "anyways".
Or, "My boyfriend, he hates dogs" instead of just "my boyfriend hates dogs".
Or ask the question "Can I ask you a question without upsetting you?" No, not really. Just asking lets me know that you know the topic is going to upset me so why set yourself up to fail.

Bilgerat
10-08-2015, 05:45 PM
By Achmed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH1Zaef7XXA

Black Diamond
10-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Or ask the question "Can I ask you a question without upsetting you?" No, not really. Just asking lets me know that you know the topic is going to upset me so why set yourself up to fail.
Irregardless.....

Gunny
10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Irregardless.....

THAT is the one I was trying to remember.

indago
10-08-2015, 06:11 PM

So, why do you think they bought you dinner?

indago
10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
How about: "My hammer turned up missing!"

Gunny
10-08-2015, 06:18 PM

Nobody EVER asks ME that. :laugh:

Gunny
10-08-2015, 06:23 PM

To be nice? Buy a hooker if you want to get laid. Last I heard they were cheaper than dinner at a nice restaurant and a guaranteed lay. I learned that as a Pvt because we always made fun of our Cpl of the Guard. He was like clockwork on payday. Bottle of booze, motel room and hooker.:laugh:

He pointed out that he always got drunk, got away from us for a night and got laid every time. We, on the other hand, spend our time chasing girls for a date, pay twice as much for the date and rarely got laid.

Can't argue with the logic.

Perianne
10-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Because he wanted to talk to me?

If he wants more, he can cough up $2,000.

indago
10-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Would that be for more talk?

tailfins
10-08-2015, 06:39 PM

What if they buy you TWO dinners?

Gunny
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM

For $2K you better be gold plated and pawn-able. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
10-08-2015, 07:16 PM

So, that old movie "Indecent Proposal" was right- everyone has their price? :eek: :wink2:

Russ
10-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Irregardless.....

I was going to say that one...

Abbey Marie
10-08-2015, 07:18 PM
""She be like..."

Calling anyone a "tool"

Gunny
10-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Liberal. I HATE these zany goofball NAZI leftwingnuts being called "liberal". Ain't a damned thing liberal about them.

revelarts
10-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Odd conversations habits and terms don't bug me that much.
But there are 3 things that frustrate me in verbal conversation.

1 is the use of acronyms used in text messaging.
Or using acronyms in general from people in specific fields or the military who assume you know WTH your talking about.
"We're going to the SFP." "that's a BPTW!" "didn't you get the PX7 yesterday"
Speak english why don't cha?

the other thing is being in a group conversation then 2 or 3 people begin to speak in foreign language cutting you out.
Speak english why don't cha?

the other is walking up to me and talking as if i'm already up to speed in the MIDDLE of a conversation rather than at the beginning of one.
For example, you'r sitting in your office or couch and 2 people walk in and ask "Are you finished with it yet?"
Finished with WHAT exactly?!
all 3 are basically the same thing.
people talking but not communication enough or any info for me.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Anyone else have any?

1. Saying, "You might not believe this but--#@^^&***)@@#!%%^^

I think-- Thats right, I don't believe such tall tales and by you giving your qualifier even you acknowledge that you are about to lie to try to impress me.

2. Saying, "Lets see if we can put more spirit into it this time"

Hell, been fresh out of spirit since the last two raises were chicken feed and me barely able to even buy eggs!

3. Saying, "We have to do this over again, so lets do it right this time."

Well hell, did you think that we wanted to waste our time doing it over again wrong!-:mad:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-08-2015, 08:33 PM

I hate it when women expect me to put out, just because they groped me and begged for it with a gleam in their eyes and a sweet moaning sound!!! :laugh:--Tyr

Perianne
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I hate it when women expect me to put out, just because they groped me and begged for it with a gleam in their eyes and a sweet moaning sound!!! :laugh:--Tyr

It must be tough being a man!!! lol

Black Diamond
10-08-2015, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKTKUvbVsA

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-08-2015, 09:13 PM
It must be tough being a man!!! lol

Sho' is but being able to stand flat footed and still piss over a five foot high fence eases the pain a little bit. ;)--Tyr

Perianne
10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Sho' is but being able to stand flat footed and still piss over a five foot high fence eases the pain a little bit. ;)--Tyr

I can't do that. I am not sure I want to do that. :)

gabosaurus
10-08-2015, 10:56 PM
You know, one of my top pet peeves is, you know, people who are unable to finish sentences without some kind of pause, you know?

Abbey Marie
10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
You guys are in the enviable position of being able to pee in a rest stop bathroom without sitting or even touching the toilet. You have NO idea how lucky you are.

NightTrain
10-09-2015, 12:05 AM
You guys are in the enviable position of being able to pee in a rest stop bathroom without sitting or even touching the toilet. You have NO idea how lucky you are.

Nope! I'm fully aware of how lucky I am when we're on a road trip when nature calls. Or out in the woods, for that matter.

There's been a lot of times down in the lower 48 when I just knew the restroom was going to be a horror show, and the wife confirmed it was.

Plus, it's pretty cool to write your name in the snow.

Gunny
10-09-2015, 01:26 AM

Damned Southerners. No wonder no one likes us. I'd like to just be able to CLIMB over a 5' fence anymore. At our age? You couldn't piss over one with a 4' ladder. :laugh:

Motown
10-09-2015, 02:52 AM
You know, one of my top pet peeves is, you know, people who are unable to finish sentences without some kind of pause, you know?

This is my second biggest pet peeve. I used to tell people who used filler words that they should keep their mouths shut until they knew what they wanted to say. People who use filler words don't realize the insight into their minds they're giving people who have to listen to them stumble their way through a conversation.

Text speak is tops for me. During the last two years at my last corporate job I started seeing text speak in official written communications, none of my people did it more than once.

Black Diamond
10-09-2015, 03:02 AM
Pardon my French.

LongTermGuy
10-09-2015, 07:59 AM
This is my second biggest pet peeve. I used to tell people who used filler words that they should keep their mouths shut until they knew what they wanted to say. People who use filler words don't realize the insight into their minds they're giving people who have to listen to them stumble their way through a conversation.

Text speak is tops for me. During the last two years at my last corporate job I started seeing text speak in official written communications, none of my people did it more than once.

.....aint you just so special....:coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Damned Southerners. No wonder no one likes us. I'd like to just be able to CLIMB over a 5' fence anymore. At our age? You couldn't piss over one with a 4' ladder. :laugh:

USUALLY that would be true but just let me drink about 7 or 8 beers holding my Nature call and I bet I can still muster at least one volley over, the first torrent. :laugh:

Jumped over the fence in my backyard a few weeks ago when Justin tossed his ball over it.
HAD I THOUGHT ABOUT IT, I PROBABLY COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT SO DAMN WELL BUT DIDN'T GIVE IT A THOUGHT.

A couple minutes later I thought, damn didn't even strain a muscle.
I wouldn't go try to do that again right now for a C-note.

Those that do not like us are usually just jealous. When young and healthy we are usually more than a match for anything tossed at us..:beer:--Tyr

indago
10-09-2015, 08:06 AM

I don't...

indago
10-09-2015, 08:16 AM

Reminds me of the guy in New York City who had a friend visit him from Texas, and he was showing him around the nightlife in Manhattan bars. The Texan was always bragging about how much bigger things were in Texas. Finally, they were taking a walk over the George Washington Bridge, and decided to empty their bladder into the Hudson River. While they were draining their bladders, the New Yorker, tired of hearing the Texan's bragging, said: "Man, that water's cold!" Texan said: "Yeah, it's deep too!"

darin
10-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Some of the worst:

...hearing somebody say "Same exact...."

Same MEANS exact.

...misuse of "...and I". Too frequently people should use "...and me".

...overly formal sounding

"All personnel may now return to their work place" Dude. You REALLY mean 'everyone may'. Stop trying to sound like a gov't regulation written in the 1970s.

...over-explanation of their point

"So - you see we have to end murder because ending murder causes people not to be murdered so we should end it so people shouldn't be murdered because that's something we should end..."

...using the word 'hours' after the time.

"Have the time?"
"Sure - Ten-hundred-hours"

"hours" is IMPLIED within the Time; saying the word 'hours' or using 'hrs' after the time is redundant and stupid.

...Conversational bullies.

"I am drinking cocoa"
Bully: "I had cocoa once - was super good. Probably better than the one you're having"
"I am feeling sick"
Bully: "I was sick last week. My sinuses were clogged and I felt horrible - likely worse than you feel right now.
"So I'm taking a vacation!"
Bully: "Oh yeah? Where to - I went on vacation last month. Was awesome. I was probably in a better place than you're going. Let me say, the cocoa they had at that place was THE BEST. However, I exerted myself too much so got sick - much sicker than you've been. Ever...Okay, nice talk!"

Gunny
10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
USUALLY that would be true but just let me drink about 7 or 8 beers holding my Nature call and I bet I can still muster at least one volley over, the first torrent. :laugh:

Jumped over the fence in my backyard a few weeks ago when Justin tossed his ball over it.
HAD I THOUGHT ABOUT IT, I PROBABLY COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT SO DAMN WELL BUT DIDN'T GIVE IT A THOUGHT.

A couple minutes later I thought, damn didn't even strain a muscle.
I wouldn't go try to do that again right now for a C-note.

Those that do not like us are usually just jealous. When young and healthy we are usually more than a match for anything tossed at us..:beer:--Tyr

I can still get over it. I just have learned the consequences for it. Easier for me to just break the damned thing and get it out of my way. I can hurt my right knee just thinking about it. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-09-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't...

I don't either but it played better as a joke than as a lusty desire..
Additionally, my wife would now take a very dim and angry view if "other" groping women were in my life!
When she gropes--the skies sing and that tune I know so well. ;) -Tyr

Gunny
10-09-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't either but it played better as a joke than as a lusty desire..
Additionally, my wife would now take a very dim and angry view if "other" groping women were in my life!
When she gropes--the skies sing and that tune I know so well. ;) -Tyr

THERE is a difference right there. My GF reads my posts. I ain't bragging about shit from the 70s. I like to be spoken to when she gets off work. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I hate when people see my necklace and then ask me "Oh, are you catholic?" - and I usually reply with "None of your business, now F off". I kid, I kid, maybe not like that. But I hate people who barely know you that feel like they can ask personal questions. Or strangers in friendly chat - "So where do you live?" - WTF? Like I'm going to tell a stranger? Be like normal stalkers and just follow me home!

I also hate the "What's new with you?". I was recently asked that by someone who befriended me on FB, who I haven't talked to in like 30 years. I wonder where they want me to start? I tell them "Not much, same since the last time I saw you" :)

Perianne
10-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Or strangers in friendly chat - "So where do you live?" - WTF? Like I'm going to tell a stranger? Be like normal stalkers and just follow me home!

Here in Lexington, that is very common. It's just a part of conversation. Most, if not all, of my patients as me that and I them. We talk about if we're married, how long we've been married, etc. Friendly people here.

Gunny
10-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Here in Lexington, that is very common. It's just a part of conversation. Most, if not all, of my patients as me that and I them. We talk about if we're married, how long we've been married, etc. Friendly people here.

It's different up North. Biggest bunch of touch me nots since the USSR. They're as cold as their weather. :laugh:

Motown
10-11-2015, 08:31 AM
It's different up North. Biggest bunch of touch me nots since the USSR. They're as cold as their weather. :laugh:

You got that right. If someone we don't know starts a conversation out of the blue with us we think they're either retarded or up to no good.

Gunny
10-11-2015, 08:45 AM
You got that right. If someone we don't know starts a conversation out of the blue with us we think they're either retarded or up to no good.

:laugh: I've noticed that. Sh*t, we just offer you a glass of tea. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
10-11-2015, 11:51 AM

Same in NYC. You don't talk, and you definitely do not make eye contact.

SassyLady
10-14-2015, 10:17 PM
I will talk to anyone, anywhere about anything. I like learning about new things, new places and new people.

Abbey Marie
10-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Pet peeve: No one just says they've called or texted anymore.

Instead, it's "I reached out to him...".

I picture this:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/walking-dead-zombie.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-14-2015, 11:34 PM

I picture this:

Back in '73 my buddy dated her. I told him that she was useless and a hag to have lying around! ;)--Tyr

Gunny
10-15-2015, 01:56 AM

I picture this:

When did THAT happen? I call and text. My idea of "reaching out" has a scope and rifle attached to it.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2015, 02:06 AM
When did THAT happen? I call and text. My idea of "reaching out" has a scope and rifle attached to it.

Lol!

It's getting quite common. It is even heard in commercials now.

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Lol!

Didnt the whole "reaching out" thing start on NYPD blue?

Abbey Marie
10-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Didnt the whole "reaching out" thing start on NYPD blue?

Don't know, but it became common business-speak much more recently.

Gunny
10-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Lol!

I feel like a mushroom. Nobody ever tells me crap around here. I listen to my GF's daughters and have NO clue what they're talking about. THEN get my butt chewed for not participating in the conversation. :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Don't know, but it became common business-speak much more recently.

I've been out of the business world for a year. That reaching out thing is gonna be annoying when I go back :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:15 AM
cray cray.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2015, 02:15 AM
I feel like a mushroom. Nobody ever tells me crap around here. I listen to my GF's daughters and have NO clue what they're talking about. THEN get my butt chewed for not participating in the conversation. :laugh:

My daughter tells me I am not aware of current stuff either.

I tell her, yeah, well, I was cool before cool was cool. :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:18 AM
Those two get along so well. They are gonna be BFFs forever.

Please slit my throat now.

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:26 AM
O.m.g.

Gunny
10-15-2015, 02:26 AM
My daughter tells me I am not aware of current stuff either.

I tell her, yeah, well, I was cool before cool was cool. :laugh:

Had my daughter explain to me once how to wear bell bottoms. In the 90s. I was like "Are you kidding me?" I grew up in the 60s and 70s.

And if the way they dress and talk NOW is current, please just keep me unaware. I ain't wearing a Where's Waldo hat with Daisy Dukes in July and listening to goofy music from the latest boy band. :laugh:

Gunny
10-15-2015, 02:36 AM
Those two get along so well. They are gonna be BFFs forever.

Please slit my throat now.

You talking about me and Abs? Of course we're friends. What planet did you just drop off of?

We got kind of an unwritten deal. I get all whackadoodle and she ignores me and I don't talk dirty around her. :laugh: She's one person that knows more about the Bible than I do. She just quietly and politely sticks it down people's throats. What's to not like?

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:42 AM
You talking about me and Abs? Of course we're friends. What planet did you just drop off of?

We got kind of an unwritten deal. I get all whackadoodle and she ignores me and I don't talk dirty around her. :laugh: She's one person that knows more about the Bible than I do. She just quietly and politely sticks it down people's throats. What's to not like?
:laugh:

I think we missed each other. I hate the term BFF.

Gunny
10-15-2015, 02:46 AM
:laugh:

I think we missed each other. I hate the term BFF.

Don't feel lonely in the boat. I had to ask my daughter what it meant. :laugh: I thought it was a damned hamburger or something. :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 02:54 AM
Don't feel lonely in the boat. I had to ask my daughter what it meant. :laugh: I thought it was a damned hamburger or something. :laugh:

In the future everything will be in code. And no one will talk. Everything texted.

indago
10-15-2015, 05:27 AM
I will talk to anyone, anywhere about anything. I like learning about new things, new places and new people.

Yes, that's what life is all about...

NightTrain
10-15-2015, 08:50 AM
My brother and I get a lot of mileage out of our teenage daughters and the new cool things to say.

"Hey, did you see Karl's new .338?"

"Totes. It's cray cray."

"Word."

We can almost hear the eye rolls from every teenager within earshot. They don't think it's nearly as funny as we do, and you get even more exasperated reactions by mixing in some slang from a few years ago that isn't cool anymore.

My 12 year old son hasn't become an icky teenager yet, so his sense of humor remains intact - for the moment, anyway. He'll give us new vocabulary words making the rounds at school, kind of our informant on the inside so we can work it into conversation the next time the girls are around.

You just aren't living unless you've had your 44 year old Uncle throwing around words you'd normally hear only in the Freshman Hall.

indago
10-15-2015, 09:34 AM
A few years back, around Christmastime, I was having lunch with a couple of younger guys, and they were excitedly discussing music concerts that they had gone to: Kiss, Flaming Lips, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, etc. Finally, one looked at me and said "You're awful quiet over there, what are you thinking about?" I said "I think when I get home tonight I'll fix dinner and put on some Christmas Music by Mannheim Steamroller." They both looked at me, incredulously, and said "The what?" I just laughed.

I saw one of the guys a few years later, and asked if he ever found out what Mannheim Steamroller was, and I still got that incredulous look. I guess they never figured it out.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2015, 04:41 PM

How long have we been on boards together? I'm guessing more than 10 years.

I can remember when I first saw you posting. It made an impression! :beer:

Perianne
10-15-2015, 05:36 PM

I remember when I first ran across Gunny. He scared me.

Black Diamond
10-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Yeah you want him on your side for sure.

Perianne
10-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Yeah you want him on your side for sure.

I agree with that.

indago
10-15-2015, 06:26 PM
I am reminded of this exchange:

Colonel Trautman: Well, look, John, we can't have you running around out there wasting friendly civilians.

John Rambo: There are no friendly civilians.

Gunny
10-15-2015, 11:46 PM

I joined Jim's board in 02. You, kathianne, Jim, D- and I have known each other since then. I think CSM was already there. Nighttrain I think came later. Jeff and john both came and went.

There's just a little core group of us. I don't know if that's good or bad. :laugh:

Gunny
10-15-2015, 11:47 PM

You're a girl. Don't think you got a problem. :)

NightTrain
10-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I joined Jim's board in 02. You, kathianne, Jim, D- and I have known each other since then. I think CSM was already there. Nighttrain I think came later. Jeff and john both came and went.

There's just a little core group of us. I don't know if that's good or bad. :laugh:

Nope, I was there on day one... that was the 2nd board that Jim, Creek and Janeen and I were involved in.

hjmick
10-19-2015, 07:08 PM
"Near miss."

What the hell is that? Wouldn't a "near miss" be a hit? A "near hit" would be a miss...

Gunny
10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
"Near miss."

What the hell is that? Wouldn't a "near miss" be a hit? A "near hit" would be a miss...

A near miss with a grenade works. :laugh:

Gunny
10-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Nope, I was there on day one... that was the 2nd board that Jim, Creek and Janeen and I were involved in.

I remember you as NT but you're hardly the high profile type. Creek, Now THAT is old. :laugh: Janeen's Jim's sister, right? Their parents sure like those "J" names. :laugh:

NightTrain
10-19-2015, 10:23 PM
I remember you as NT but you're hardly the high profile type. Creek, Now THAT is old. :laugh: Janeen's Jim's sister, right? Their parents sure like those "J" names. :laugh:

I don't know... I was a whole lot more fiery back then. Something about youth... Being gone months at a time out in the sticks doesn't help, either, and I was doing a lot of that at the time.

Yeah, funny thing about Creek... he was as hardcore as either Jim or me, but after Jim took over, he got himself a liberal girlfriend and the next we heard from him, he was spouting the same bullshit as the wienies we'd all beat up together before! Pretty weird. She must have been a Heather Locklear or something.

Yeah, Janeen is Jim & Jeff's sis... she was a hoot. The only sibling they have that I'm aware of without a 'J' is Dan, I think he's the youngest. Haven't seen him around in 8 years or so, lol.

Gunny
10-19-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't know... I was a whole lot more fiery back then. Something about youth... Being gone months at a time out in the sticks doesn't help, either, and I was doing a lot of that at the time.

Yeah, funny thing about Creek... he was as hardcore as either Jim or me, but after Jim took over, he got himself a liberal girlfriend and the next we heard from him, he was spouting the same bullshit as the wienies we'd all beat up together before! Pretty weird. She must have been a Heather Locklear or something.

Yeah, Janeen is Jim & Jeff's sis... she was a hoot. The only sibling they have that I'm aware of without a 'J' is Dan, I think he's the youngest. Haven't seen him around in 8 years or so, lol.

There's ANOTHER one of them? No wonder we're doomed. WHO is "Dan"?

And I don't remember you but your ID. When I joined Jim's board I was still running a different one. Then, I ended up running his old board. You know very well if you aren't being a pain in the ass, you aren't getting noticed. I was too busy with all the whines in my PM box. :laugh:

hjmick
10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Awesome.

Quit using the word "Awesome" to describe everything. Not everything is "awesome" and the more you use the word to describe shit, the less "awesome" the truly awesome shit becomes...

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
There's ANOTHER one of them? No wonder we're doomed. WHO is "Dan"?

And I don't remember you but your ID. When I joined Jim's board I was still running a different one. Then, I ended up running his old board. You know very well if you aren't being a pain in the ass, you aren't getting noticed. I was too busy with all the whines in my PM box. :laugh:

Dan is Dan, he's another brother down in SC. He's the youngest, after Dad got re-married. He posted with us for awhile. He's a filthy liberal! :laugh:

Awesome.

Quit using the word "Awesome" to describe everything. Not everything is "awesome" and the more you use the word to describe shit, the less "awesome" the truly awesome shit becomes...

Well said. You're awesome!! :beer:

Gunny
10-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Awesome.

Is that like being a "superstar" or a "hero"?

Gunny
10-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Dan is Dan, he's another brother down in SC. He's the youngest, after Dad got re-married. He posted with us for awhile. He's a filthy liberal! :laugh:

Where in the Hell did that "D" name come from? Everyone else has a "J". He adopted or some sh*t? :laugh:

Perianne
10-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Improper usage of "myself", as in "John, Mike and myself all went hunting".

hjmick
10-20-2015, 05:34 PM

Have you, by any chance, considered adding a "Fuck You" button next to the "Thanks" button?

:lmao:

Abbey Marie
10-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Awesome.

That is an awesome point! ;)

Abbey Marie
10-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Also loathe hearing someone use the terms "d-bag' or "tool".

Black Diamond
10-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Also loathe hearing someone use the terms "d-bag' or "tool".

Whenever I see the diamondbacks uniform that says " dbacks". It looks like dbags.

Black Diamond
10-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Awesome.

That was an awesome post, hj.

hjmick
10-20-2015, 06:15 PM
That was an awesome post, hj.

Yeah yeah yeah...

I'm making a list...

jimnyc... Abbey... Black Diamond...

Smartasses...

Elessar
10-20-2015, 07:12 PM
People that say axe instead of ask. People that say "like" every other word. People that say "ya know" every other word as if they think you're too stupid to comprehend their blather.

How my ex always says "What happens is" when talking about something that happened in the past. It's not "is"....it's "was" and that would make it "happened". Drives me nuts(ier).

Another is" I'm just sayin'.." Of course you are, otherwise the screen would be blank!

Crappy Grammar...as on forums such as this, using 'U' instead of 'you'. 'R' instead of 'are',
not knowing the difference between 'your', 'your're' and 'you are'; 'their', 'there' and 'they're';
would or could HAVE, instead of would of, or could of, and many more,

But you correct them and they whine about Grammar Nazi's. Must be nice to be ignorant and stupid.

NightTrain
10-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Awesome.

Your cup of Awesome Sauce runneth over, HJ.

NightTrain
10-20-2015, 07:15 PM
A few years back, around Christmastime, I was having lunch with a couple of younger guys, and they were excitedly discussing music concerts that they had gone to: Kiss, Flaming Lips, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, etc. Finally, one looked at me and said "You're awful quiet over there, what are you thinking about?" I said "I think when I get home tonight I'll fix dinner and put on some Christmas Music by Mannheim Steamroller." They both looked at me, incredulously, and said "The what?" I just laughed.

I saw one of the guys a few years later, and asked if he ever found out what Mannheim Steamroller was, and I still got that incredulous look. I guess they never figured it out.

Fun Fact : Mannheim Steamroller wrote all the music for C.W. McCall. He just wrote the lyrics and sang.

hjmick
10-20-2015, 07:32 PM
...NightTrain...

NightTrain
10-20-2015, 07:33 PM
...NightTrain...

That was a near miss! :eek: