PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Play?

Gunny
10-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Since you can't run out of the base line, is spiking the guy between you and the bag dirty?

I don't like the Mets nor the Dodgers, but I also don't like the media making a big deal of it. I was taught to slide cleats up. And we wore metal cleats, not these pansy rubber ones. I'd like to see me do that NOW. :laugh: Shit, I'd probably land like a brick and not slide an inch. :laugh:

I just wonder why some of this crap is on the news. Headline News reports on more crap nobody gives a sh*t about ...

Motown
10-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Since you can't run out of the base line, is spiking the guy between you and the bag dirty?

I don't like the Mets nor the Dodgers, but I also don't like the media making a big deal of it. I was taught to slide cleats up. And we wore metal cleats, not these pansy rubber ones. I'd like to see me do that NOW. :laugh: Shit, I'd probably land like a brick and not slide an inch. :laugh:

I just wonder why some of this crap is on the news. Headline News reports on more crap nobody gives a sh*t about ...

This is a tough call. What Utley did was technically against the rules but it wasn't that far off the baseline and that kind of stuff happens all the time in baseball and it's not called a lot. This is only a story because Tejada broke his leg.

Gunny
10-11-2015, 08:42 AM
This is a tough call. What Utley did was technically against the rules but it wasn't that far off the baseline and that kind of stuff happens all the time in baseball and it's not called a lot. This is only a story because Tejada broke his leg.

I played shortstop and second base. I KNOW what the importance is. It's still part of the game. You got to be looking for the runner to slide spikes up.

But I agree it's only a story because someone's leg got broken.

Motown
10-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Did Utley go in spikes up? The video I saw made it look like Utley went in with his shin. Spikes up is different, that's a big no go.

jimnyc
10-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Runners will VERY often slide like that to the right of the bag, forcing the thrower to jump and make the throw to 1st. Things always seem different when a guy breaks his leg though! :laugh:

Gunny
10-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Runners will VERY often slide like that to the right of the bag, forcing the thrower to jump and make the throw to 1st. Things always seem different when a guy breaks his leg though! :laugh:

I know y'all are surprised but I usually just ran the guy over. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I know y'all are surprised but I usually just ran the guy over. :laugh:

All I know is that the Dodgers won and tied the series AND the Mets lost their player. I didn't wish for it to happen, but I'll take it!

gabosaurus
10-11-2015, 11:56 AM
It was absolutely a dirty play. And I say this as a devout Dodgers fan.
It was difficult to see what happened at the stadium. We were on the fourth deck and they didn't show many replays. It wasn't until I got home and was the replays on TV that I saw how horrible it was.
First of all, it wasn't even a slide. It was a tackle. Utley made no attempt to slide into the base. He intentionally took out Tejada.
If I was the next Mets pitcher, I would throw at Utley's head. But my guess is that he will be suspended.

Motown
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm really surprised by all of the outrage over this. I just looked at a few different views of the takeout slide it wasn't that bad, Utley even got his nuts stepped on. He didn't go in spikes up and he was within arm's reach of second base. This was not a bad or dirty play. If Tejada didn't have paper mache for bones no one would be talking about this.

WiccanLiberal
10-11-2015, 01:04 PM
It was difficult to see what happened at the stadium. We were on the fourth deck and they didn't show many replays. It wasn't until I got home and was the replays on TV that I saw how horrible it was.
First of all, it wasn't even a slide. It was a tackle. Utley made no attempt to slide into the base. He intentionally took out Tejada.
If I was the next Mets pitcher, I would throw at Utley's head. But my guess is that he will be suspended.

Thank you so much for being a baseball fan. Too many are just fans of their teams. I am a baseball fan. I love my Mets but I will watch any game just for the beauty of the sport. I knew the play was bad. But as a Mets fan I was so angry about losing Tejada I wasn't sure if I was just seeing red. So thank you for being a fan of sportsmanship and good plays. And may the best team win.

Gunny
10-11-2015, 01:21 PM

BS.

It's called baseball. If you're going to play the game, man the f*ck up and play. The runner has NO choice. Run out of the base line, you're out. Play pansy and get tagged, you're out. You either run the guy over and hope he drops the ball, or slide spikes up. Name of the game. If you ain't playing to win, go home.

Gunny
10-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Thank you so much for being a baseball fan. Too many are just fans of their teams. I am a baseball fan. I love my Mets but I will watch any game just for the beauty of the sport. I knew the play was bad. But as a Mets fan I was so angry about losing Tejada I wasn't sure if I was just seeing red. So thank you for being a fan of sportsmanship and good plays. And may the best team win.

Most people don't watch baseball because they call it boring and I'd bet every one of them doesn't understand the chess match of playing the game. Pitcher vs hitter and who gets up on who in the count.

I'd rather go watch a Little League game myself. Rarely watch MLB and really don't have a favorite team. I DO understand the game though. Played from the time I was 7 until I was in high school.

What I could never get was that damned softball. I played in the Marines. That is the most uncooperative ball to hit. Damned thing. Doesn't go any damned where. :laugh:

Perianne
10-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Tejada: another Latino taking an American job. Those Latinos!!!!

Gunny
10-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Tejada: another Latino taking an American job. Those Latinos!!!!

Well, he got his ....:laugh: