PDA

View Full Version : Texas Law allows man to take ownership of abandoned house... neighbors upset

revelarts
10-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Texas Law allows man to take ownership of abandoned house... neighbors upset.

maybe they are upset because THEY didn't do it 1st.
they SAY they just don't thinks it's "right" (even though it's legal) and want to run him out of their hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZQkErPD4Q

Black Diamond
10-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Squatters rights isn't limited to Texas.

jimnyc
10-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Hey, if he did it legally, then he did it legally. I wonder what the video poster knows that we don't, as it states that the neighbors are racist?

But I think they need to put a stop to the squatter crap first. Then things like this as well. Something stinks when a 350k home can be had for $16. I am no expert on this adverse possession though.

Perianne
10-13-2015, 04:47 PM
"White racist neighbors are mad". lol

Sounds like to me the man used his brain. Good for him.

jimnyc
10-13-2015, 04:56 PM
"White racist neighbors are mad". lol

Sounds like to me the man used his brain. Good for him.

How widespread is this story - how many people are now searching for "adverse possession" - and how many planning on a trip to Texas to visit foreclosed homes? :laugh:

LongTermGuy
10-13-2015, 05:01 PM
How widespread is this story - how many people are now searching for "adverse possession" - and how many planning on a trip to Texas to visit foreclosed homes? :laugh:

"Yaaaa...we found another place to stay awhile....before it gets run down by zombies":laugh:

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/359/2afa8a30-4d47-0133-4c58-0e3f8b958f63.gif?

LongTermGuy
10-13-2015, 05:11 PM
~ "Something stinks when a 350k home can be had for $16. I am no expert on this adverse possession though." ~

Yes it does........$16 is a very cheap price....*and not much investment...or emotional ties for the house...`and no fear of Loss`..."Maybe" the neighbors fear... the $16 house might not be kept up...and lower values on "their heavily invested" properties...Price of admission is high...and should be for a good quality...safe...clean neighborhood...*when unknown factor X comes in....it would make anyone with a large investment feel uneasy...

gabosaurus
10-13-2015, 05:43 PM
My uncle once told me that states like Texas often use this law when they are unable to obtain eminent domain. I am guessing that house flippers can use it as well.

tailfins
10-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Why are they neighbors upset? Did they lose any money?

Gunny
10-21-2015, 03:54 AM
~ "Something stinks when a 350k home can be had for $16. I am no expert on this adverse possession though." ~

Yes it does........$16 is a very cheap price....*and not much investment...or emotional ties for the house...`and no fear of Loss`..."Maybe" the neighbors fear... the $16 house might not be kept up...and lower values on "their heavily invested" properties...Price of admission is high...and should be for a good quality...safe...clean neighborhood...*when unknown factor X comes in....it would make anyone with a large investment feel uneasy...

Sure. He's got it made. Wait until he finds out the price of homeowner's tax in Texas on a $350k house in Texas. And it gets raised every other year. Be sure and tack the school district tax on top of it. That house will be re-abandoned pretty quick.

We don't have a state tax but they sure as hell make up for it elsewhere.