PDA

View Full Version : Confederate flag supporters indicted under Georgia terrorism law

jimnyc
10-14-2015, 12:08 PM
What a bunch of crap. I can't see all of the evidence, but since they didn't make any arrests... short of a gun being found... I see guilt from BOTH sides. Curious how they really didn't find anything on scene, got conflicting accounts, and yet only one side charged?

And again, this kind of stuff is making me want to turn around and go out and buy a few of these flags to fly. The way some communities are reacting to these flags is despicable. I've seen MANY crimes committed, simply because someone had one on their vehicle, or flying one at home. Unless said person is committing a crime with the use of their flag, then those "offended" should STFU.

---

A Georgia grand jury formally charged 15 members of a group supporting the Confederate flag on terror charges following a July confrontation with a black family who was celebrating a child’s birthday, according to an indictment released Monday.

Douglas County District Attorney Brian Fortner said members of the “Respect the Flag” group violated the state’s Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act and made terroristic threats when their caravan of vehicles bearing the rebel flag drove past a neighborhood party.

“We do want to say that we respect the rights of all citizens to exercise their First Amendment right, but we’re going to require them when they’re doing that to respect the right of all of the citizens to feel safe,” Fortner said at a news conference attended by FOX5.

The indictment, handed up on Friday, also charges two members of the group with battery for a separate incident that occurred at a gas station on the same day. While video of the Confederate convoy has made its way onto social media, there are two drastically different depictions of what occurred on July 25, with each side blaming the other for generating hostility.

This much is not in dispute: numerous pickup trucks, adorned with several large American and Confederate flags, formed a caravan and drove into a neighborhood where a birthday party was being held for a child.

Levi Bush, who was part of the procession, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in July that the motorcade was making its way back from a nearby event when it drove through the area. Kayla Norton, another member of the group, told FOX5 that party-goers began throwing objects at the trucks and making threats.

People from the birthday party contend that “Respect the Flag” participants yelled racial slurs and flashed guns.

Police were eventually called to the scene, though no one was arrested at the time.

“Officers on scene were given conflicting statements as to what led up to the confrontation,” the Douglasville Police Department said in a statement. “We do not have any evidence of any shots fired nor were there any reports of a physical altercation taking place.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/13/confederate-flag-supporters-indicted-under-georgia-terrorism-law/

Christie Brinkley
10-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Home of the brave, land of the free. You would expect this sort of stuff in China.