PDA

View Full Version : Engineer builds 'working' Thor's hammer that only he can lif

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-15-2015, 08:19 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/engineer-builds-working-thors-hammer-024009572.html

Engineer builds 'working' Thor's hammer that only he can lift

CNET
Michelle Starr
October 14, 2015

In Marvel comics, Thor's legendary hammer Mjolnir is famous for being able to be wielded only by the worthy. For the unworthy, i.e., literally everyone except Thor and the odd someone else from time to time (a handy loophole for writers), Mjolnir simply cannot be lifted off the ground.
It is this property that electrical engineer Allen Pan, aka Sufficiently Advanced on YouTube, decided to replicate in his very own take on a "working" Mjolnir.

To make the hammer immoveable, he decided that strong magnets were the best method. Inside the head of his Mjolnir, he packed a microwave oven transformer electromagnet, which uses electricity to produce a magnetic field. This creates a very strong magnetic pull, strong enough that the hammer, when placed on a metal surface (that can't be lifted, such as a locked manhole cover), feels too heavy to lift.
The handle is attached to a capacitive touch sensor, which in turn is attached to an Arduino Pro Mini and a solid state relay, which serves as a switching device. As soon as someone grasps the handle, the electromagnets switch on, attaching the hammer to the metal surface.
However, the hammer can be turned off via a fingerprint sensor keyed to Pan's thumbprint. When Pan grasps the hammer, the magnets switch on. When he moves his thumb over the sensor, it switches off again, allowing Pan to lift the hammer.
Pan took his invention to the streets of Venice Beach, California, where he challenged unsuspecting passersby to lift it. It's a magnificent prank... and, just like in the comics and films, there may be more than one who is worthy. Sometimes brain does beat brawn.
Now he just has to find a way to make it call down the lightning and return to his hand when he throws it...

With Native American and Viking blood in my veins I am interested in all things pertaining to both.
Originally was intending to use Thor's Hammer as my nick here but finally opted for Tyr-Ziu Saxnot--Tyr being the older Viking God that Thor replaced.
Tyr- The Viking god of single combat and justice, also knowns Ziu(Tui) and Saxnot...... --- Tyr

revelarts
10-15-2015, 08:25 AM
With Marvel comics running through my blood since i was a little kid. It amazes me that things i was considered a nerd for loving without shame are now embraced by popular culture.

It's amazing that people even know about this stuff.

revelarts
10-15-2015, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gZ3lVwwLcVg

SassyLady
10-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Even if someone was not a comic book fan when young, they will certainly be very aware of all the characters if they have grandchildren.

I recently saw Ant Man with the kids and loved it! I also love the Avengers and Captain America ..... however, Thor can eat crackers in my bed anytime!

Tyr ... do you watch Vikings on the History Channel?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Even if someone was not a comic book fan when young, they will certainly be very aware of all the characters if they have grandchildren.

I recently saw Ant Man with the kids and loved it! I also love the Avengers and Captain America ..... however, Thor can eat crackers in my bed anytime!

Tyr ... do you watch Vikings on the History Channel?

I do when I have time and if I can remember to turn the tv on.
Lately I watch less and less tv. Life is just too short my friend.
When I watched it , it was a damn fine production--haven't seen it in a longtime now.-Tyr

Abbey Marie
10-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Or The Last Kingdom?

SassyLady
10-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Haven't heard of The Last Kingdom. What channel?