PDA

View Full Version : Illegals — Driver License

indago
10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Journalist Ivan Moreno wrote for The Associated Press 14 October 2015:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colorado immigrant advocates frustrated over long waiting periods for people who want driver's licenses regardless of their legal status vowed to pressure lawmakers in the coming months to free up money so the program can meet demand. ...Since the program became operational in August 2014, 14,299 immigrants have received driver's licenses and an additional 2,218 have received driving permits, according to state figures. An additional 2,278 have gotten ID cards.

...Colorado has 180,000 residents in the country illegally, according to the Pew Charitable Trusts, which released a study in August on the states that allow driver's licenses regardless of legal status.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_IMMIGRANT_DRIVERS_LICENSES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-10-14-22-59-40)

WiccanLiberal
10-15-2015, 06:50 PM
I've always been a bit divided about this. On the one hand I would vastly prefer if all illegals were sent home. It strikes me that state issued ID could be used to obtain other legal documents. On the other hand, it is possibly desirable, since these illegals are not going anywhere fast, to have some means of regulating such an important activity as driving. If you get in an accident, it is helpful if there is some real way of identifying the other driver. And having a state issued ID of either kind would be proof of what services they might or might not be legally entitled to. Guess there isn't an easy answer to this one.

Elessar
10-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Easy Answer...

Send them home.

Mexico does not tolerate illegal immigrants.

Why should we tolerate theirs?:laugh:

WiccanLiberal
10-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Easy Answer...

Send them home.

Mexico does not tolerate illegal immigrants.

Why should we tolerate theirs?:laugh:

As I said above, I would prefer that but I don't see it happening soon and that means we will have to deal with the ones here for some time.

Gunny
10-16-2015, 12:15 AM
As I said above, I would prefer that but I don't see it happening soon and that means we will have to deal with the ones here for some time.

Thing is, and as you already alluded to, when you register for a drivers license and they approve it, you can register to vote in the states I've lived in.

tailfins
10-16-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm in favor of productive immigrants. Send the criminals back home or let them be guests of Joe Arpaio in a tent city. It should be a crime for non permanent residents to collect public assistance. No drivers licenses should be issued unless there is a functioning system to block people with criminal convictions in their home country. Keep criminals off the road.

WiccanLiberal
10-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Based on the issues raised by other posters, does anyone know if there is a restriction for criminals? As for voting, I just changed my reg to update an address. You can still do that at the post office and there is no check on that. Think tagging a drivers license with a prefix might actually decrease potential fraud.

indago
12-05-2015, 08:58 AM
From The Free Beacon 20 August 2015:
----------------------------------------------------------
Ten states and the District of Columbia now issue driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants as of the summer of 2015, according to a report from the Pew Charitable Trusts.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Vermont, and Washington, as well as Washington, D.C,, issue driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. The states are estimated to have an illegal immigrant population of 4,120,000 combined.
----------------------------------------------------------

article (http://freebeacon.com/issues/10-states-and-washington-d-c-issue-drivers-licenses-to-illegal-immigrants/)