PDA

View Full Version : Jaywalker Threatens To Sue Over Atlanta Arrest

waterrescuedude2000
07-09-2007, 04:08 AM
http://officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Jaywalker-Threatens-To-Sue-Over-Atlanta-Arrest/1$36766

He broke the law and isn't a citizen he does not have rights in our country!!! I hate people like this.

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Hell, our country give more rights to the illegals then to the citizens.

Hagbard Celine
07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Here's a link.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/07/04/0705metjaywalk.html
The guy is not an "illegal immigrant." He's not an immigrant to the US at all. He was a foreign national visiting from London and a distinguished history professor to boot. It appears to me that the professor ignored an order from the officer--so he was in the wrong for that--but on the other hand, it also appears that the officer was harassing the professor for no reason since nobody ever enforces jaywalking anymore and then got physical with him for no reason. Sounds exactly like my experience with the Atlanta police. They're a bunch of militaristic, walking hard-ons with superiority complexes.

JohnDoe
07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
http://officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Jaywalker-Threatens-To-Sue-Over-Atlanta-Arrest/1$36766

He broke the law and isn't a citizen he does not have rights in our country!!! I hate people like this.Everyone has equal constitutional RIGHTS in our country if they are here legally, and in some cases, even illegally, it's been this way from our beginnings?

Still have not read the article yet, so no comment, till I do! :)

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Here's a link.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/07/04/0705metjaywalk.html
The guy is not an "illegal immigrant." He's not an immigrant to the US at all. He was a foreign national visiting from London and a distinguished history professor to boot. It appears to me that the professor ignored an order from the officer--so he was in the wrong for that--but on the other hand, it also appears that the officer was harassing the professor for no reason since nobody ever enforces jaywalking anymore and then got physical with him for no reason. Sounds exactly like my experience with the Atlanta police. They're a bunch of militaristic, walking hard-ons with superiority complexes.

Re-read the article. The History Professor was commenting on it, he is an illegal hispanic.

Hagbard Celine
07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Re-read the article. The History Professor was commenting on it, he is an illegal hispanic.

The article doesn't mention anything about him being illegal. It says he was visiting here for a conference. It says jaywalking not illegal in the UK.

jimnyc
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
As the Judge would say:

"You broke the law, pay the fine and get out of my court, NEXT!"

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
The article doesn't mention anything about him being illegal. It says he was visiting here for a conference. It says jaywalking not illegal in the UK.

My bad, I read it wrong.

Mr. P
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
As the Judge would say:

"You broke the law, pay the fine and get out of my court, NEXT!"

Yep!

diuretic
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Where did he think he was - Boston? Jeez pedestrians there, they just don't give a stuff. But to be fair, the Atlanta cop di give a direction - probably for the "safe and efficient regulation of traffic" or something similar and the visiting academic (who should know these things, he held a chair at Tufts - hence my comment about Boston's pedestrians) decided the law didn't apply to him. He can sue, he will lose and so he should lose. "Justice for all" means just that.

In the UK it's not an offence to walk across a road that doesn't have a pedestrian crossing or isn't on a kitty corner or something - but when a cop gives you a direction it's usually a fair bet that he or she knows what they're doing.

manu1959
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
arrested in atlanta....run down or at least chased back onto the curb in NYC....

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 09:16 PM
arrested in atlanta....run down or at least chased back onto the curb in NYC....

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

glockmail
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Where did he think he was - Boston? Jeez pedestrians there, they just don't give a stuff. .... Massachusetts law states that pedestrians always have the right of way. Of course, some Massachusetts Priests have misread this as pedophiles always have the right of way...

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Massachusetts law states that pedestrians always have the right of way. Of course, some Massachusetts Priests have misread this as pedophiles always have the right of way...

Nevada has the same law. If a pedestrian puts one foot down on the street your car better be stopped or you will get a major ticket.

diuretic
07-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Massachusetts law states that pedestrians always have the right of way. Of course, some Massachusetts Priests have misread this as pedophiles always have the right of way...

Pedestrians should always have right of way, agreed (they do here) but really Bostonians have turned jaywalking into an art form. They were not jut asserting their right of way, they were looking to be a hood ornament. I wonder what they do when they get to LA :D

Having said that - great city, a must for an international visitor.

Okay, sorry, thread drift.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Pedestrians should always have right of way, agreed (they do here) but really Bostonians have turned jaywalking into an art form. They were not jut asserting their right of way, they were looking to be a hood ornament. I wonder what they do when they get to LA :D

Having said that - great city, a must for an international visitor.

Okay, sorry, thread drift.

:laugh2: