PDA

View Full Version : Homelessness

indago
10-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Journalist Cathy Bussewitz wrote for The Associated Press 16 October 2015:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAWAII GOVERNOR DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR HOMELESSNESS — ...Hawaii saw a 23 percent increase in its unsheltered homeless population between 2014 and 2015, and a 46 percent increase in the number of unsheltered families... There were 7,260 homeless people in Hawaii at the latest count, meaning Hawaii has the highest rate of homelessness per-capita of any state in the nation.

...Friday, crews were installing converted shipping containers for Honolulu's latest homeless shelter on a gravel lot on Sand Island.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HAWAII_HOMELESS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-10-16-22-26-23)

Well, that's a start. The governor of the State is responsible for the State's economic system, and he should look into how they became homeless in the first place.

NightTrain
10-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Well, if I were homeless, I think the top destination to have such a status would be Hawaii.

It sure as hell can't be any fun here in AK or any other Northern States.

Gunny
10-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Well, if I were homeless, I think the top destination to have such a status would be Hawaii.

They love South Florida too.:laugh:

jimnyc
10-17-2015, 12:24 PM

I wouldn't mind being homeless in Hawaii!! Problem is though, I would take my refrigerator box to a beach. And is there enough traffic near the beach, so that when I beg for money, I can collect enough to eat? And will places be within walking distance, so that I can go get that food, or other small supplies.

True story, my cousin lives in Hawaii now. He's in "Kailua-Kona" with his dog. He was a malpractice attorney for a very long time. Was so good that he started his own firm and was VERY successful. Marriage fell apart and he ended up closing up shop. He retired and said he was following his dreams. He's now a bartender over in Hawaii making like $10 an hour. Said he's never been happier!

Gunny
10-17-2015, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't mind being homeless in Hawaii!! Problem is though, I would take my refrigerator box to a beach. And is there enough traffic near the beach, so that when I beg for money, I can collect enough to eat? And will places be within walking distance, so that I can go get that food, or other small supplies.

True story, my cousin lives in Hawaii now. He's in "Kailua-Kona" with his dog. He was a malpractice attorney for a very long time. Was so good that he started his own firm and was VERY successful. Marriage fell apart and he ended up closing up shop. He retired and said he was following his dreams. He's now a bartender over in Hawaii making like $10 an hour. Said he's never been happier!

Haven't been to Hawaii, have you? :slap:

I wouldn't want to be there on my paycheck, much less homeless. It used to cost over $13 just to go to Burger King. For 1 person. And all that crap on Hawaii 5-O? You ain't racing around that place and you got nowhere to go if you do. Wakiki Beach is small, and littered with drunks. :laugh:

I guess I've been so many places I just have no appreciation for where y'all think you want to go.

jimnyc
10-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Haven't been to Hawaii, have you? :slap:

I wouldn't want to be there on my paycheck, much less homeless. It used to cost over $13 just to go to Burger King. For 1 person. And all that crap on Hawaii 5-O? You ain't racing around that place and you got nowhere to go if you do. Wakiki Beach is small, and littered with drunks. :laugh:

I guess I've been so many places I just have no appreciation for where y'all think you want to go.

Nope, never been there. :(

Hmmmmm then, I guess my next choice would be San Diego area. Good weather all year round, and I can sponge off of all the liberal idiots out there. I'll get free everything from them!! :laugh:

Elessar
10-17-2015, 12:39 PM
They love South Florida too.:laugh:

All of California is over-run by them, especially along the U.S. 101 corridor.

revelarts
10-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Gunny's right things are very expensive there.
but the Climate is UNNATURALLY wonderful. I've been to south florida, the Caribbean, the south west and southern California.

For physical comfort outdoors. HAWAII by 20 points. no doubt.

Gunny
10-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Nope, never been there. :(

Hmmmmm then, I guess my next choice would be San Diego area. Good weather all year round, and I can sponge off of all the liberal idiots out there. I'll get free everything from them!! :laugh:

Pick some place I've never lived so I don't have to have an opinion. :laugh: San Diego sucks. And you couldn't take it. You're screwed on sports. You get Chargers, Padres and Laker games. If they aren't on, it's a team in their conference. Oh, the Chargers aren't playing? You can Watch Denver vs KC. Oh f-ing yea! Time for my happy dance over THAT because I give a crap. :laugh:

NightTrain
10-17-2015, 12:52 PM

He must own his car and house free and clear?

There's just no way you can survive on ten bucks an hour, let alone in HI - that's the highest cost of living in the USA.

jimnyc
10-17-2015, 12:56 PM

There's just no way you can survive on ten bucks an hour, let alone in HI - that's the highest cost of living in the USA.

Yeah, he bout the house outright like 10 years back when still married. He has a few cars. He's made a few mill over the years, he's far from hurting for money. He had a Lexus, Acura and a Lambo prior to moving. I know he offloaded the Lambo dirt cheap, and tossed the Acura, but not sure if he brought the Lexus or not. I think he said he only wanted to bring his clothes and his guitar! He's a very rich man, or perhaps 50% less rich than he used to be actually. At one point in his malpractice career he was 72-0 before he lost a case. Malpractice attorneys make some big bucks of they can protect the physicians!!

Gunny
10-17-2015, 12:59 PM

You buy an "island car". Same as Oki. Pick up a rust bucket from someone shipping out.

And you can survive easily on $10 an hour in the Southwest. You ain't going to in Hawaii. That ain't a happening event. I actually like the place but if you aren't making $25-30 an hour, you need not apply.

NightTrain
10-17-2015, 01:11 PM
You buy an "island car". Same as Oki. Pick up a rust bucket from someone shipping out.

And you can survive easily on $10 an hour in the Southwest. You ain't going to in Hawaii. That ain't a happening event. I actually like the place but if you aren't making $25-30 an hour, you need not apply.

I've heard that before... people survive here on $10/hour but I really don't know how anyone can for less than $30. Even at $40 you have to watch things closely with a family.

Gunny
10-17-2015, 06:42 PM
I've heard that before... people survive here on $10/hour but I really don't know how anyone can for less than $30. Even at $40 you have to watch things closely with a family.

I keep forgetting that I can go $10 an hour because I get a retirement check every month. It's nothing to brag about, but it takes the pressure off me having to join the rat race.

A LOT depends on where you live as well. Texas doesn't have a state tax. I'd say a quarter of what you pay in Hawaii is tax. They have to import EVERYTHING. My brother was stationed there and I remember him bitching his butt off about the price of milk and he was getting it at the commissary.

Christie Brinkley
10-18-2015, 05:27 AM
They move the homeless from the north down the south for the winter don't they?

Gunny
10-18-2015, 06:02 AM
They move the homeless from the north down the south for the winter don't they?

Actually, no. They get themselves there. People here pretend they don't exist. At best, they may have shelters. You look at DC in Jan which has underground heating, you'll find one or two on every manhole cover.

It's sad, but they don't help themselves. In San Antonio they all have shopping baskets with whatever they own in them. People just pretend they aren't there. Moment of soft spot: I can't do that. They're human beings and half of them are vets.

Perianne
10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Actually, no. They get themselves there. People here pretend they don't exist. At best, they may have shelters. You look at DC in Jan which has underground heating, you'll find one or two on every manhole cover.

It's sad, but they don't help themselves. In San Antonio they all have shopping baskets with whatever they own in them. People just pretend they aren't there. Moment of soft spot: I can't do that. They're human beings and half of them are vets.

The media take notice when there is a Republican in the White House. Has anyone else notice that to be the case?

WiccanLiberal
10-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Chronic homelessness in Utah down 91 percent under decade-long 'Housing First' initiativeSALT LAKE CITY — Chronic homelessness in Utah has dropped 91 percent in the past decade under Utah's "Housing First" initiative, state officials announced Tuesday.
Utah's program places chronically homeless people in housing and supports them with services that help address the root causes of their homelessness such as physical and mental illness, substance abuse and addiction, low educational attainment, criminal records, or poor work histories.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627447/Chronic-homelessness-in-Utah-down-91-percent-under-decade-long-Housing-First-initiative.html?pg=all

Utah has found it is cheaper to do things this way.

Gunny
10-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Chronic homelessness in Utah down 91 percent under decade-long 'Housing First' initiative

SALT LAKE CITY — Chronic homelessness in Utah has dropped 91 percent in the past decade under Utah's "Housing First" initiative, state officials announced Tuesday.
Utah's program places chronically homeless people in housing and supports them with services that help address the root causes of their homelessness such as physical and mental illness, substance abuse and addiction, low educational attainment, criminal records, or poor work histories.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627447/Chronic-homelessness-in-Utah-down-91-percent-under-decade-long-Housing-First-initiative.html?pg=all

Utah has found it is cheaper to do things this way.

I'm actually willing to pay for THAT. I've also done free working wiring Habitats for Humanity houses. I have a very jaded opinion though. I have no problem helping those in need, but they seem to be surrounded by vultures.