PDA

View Full Version : Repairing history

WiccanLiberal
10-18-2015, 11:11 AM
London's Big Ben to Fall SilentLONDON — Big Ben's bongs may fall silent for months or even years as urgent repairs are carried out.
Two of Britain's largest newspapers reported Sunday that Parliament's massive clock and the tower that supports it need as much as 40 million pounds ($61.7 million) in repairs — work that will silence the famous bell, Big Ben.

The Sunday Times, (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1620967.ece) citing a government source, said the clock is so dilapidated it may grind to a halt. The Mail on Sunday suggested the clock's hands could fall off without urgent action.
The Times says repairs to the Elizabeth Tower must begin as soon as possible and can't wait for the 7 billion pound ($10.8 billion) restoration of the entire Palace of Westminster that is scheduled to begin at the end of the decade.

Gunny
10-18-2015, 03:47 PM
London's Big Ben to Fall Silent

LONDON — Big Ben's bongs may fall silent for months or even years as urgent repairs are carried out.
Two of Britain's largest newspapers reported Sunday that Parliament's massive clock and the tower that supports it need as much as 40 million pounds ($61.7 million) in repairs — work that will silence the famous bell, Big Ben.

The Sunday Times, (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1620967.ece) citing a government source, said the clock is so dilapidated it may grind to a halt. The Mail on Sunday suggested the clock's hands could fall off without urgent action.
The Times says repairs to the Elizabeth Tower must begin as soon as possible and can't wait for the 7 billion pound ($10.8 billion) restoration of the entire Palace of Westminster that is scheduled to begin at the end of the decade.

Looked at OUR capitol lately? Looks like it got braces. What I don't like -- for you or us -- is they spend our tax dollars on this crap. I'd actually rather my money be spent on Big Ben than that piece of crap of a capitol we have.

Christie Brinkley
10-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Looked at OUR capitol lately? Looks like it got braces. What I don't like -- for you or us -- is they spend our tax dollars on this crap. I'd actually rather my money be spent on Big Ben than that piece of crap of a capitol we have.
They have been repairing your capitol building for years now, what is going on!?

Black Diamond
10-18-2015, 04:18 PM
They have been repairing your capitol building for years now, what is going on!?

Since the civil war. Lol

Perianne
10-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Rodney Dangerfield said his gay cousin was soooo disappointed when he arrived in London and discovered that Big Ben was a clock. :)

Gunny
10-18-2015, 05:27 PM

Labour unions. The Jefferson Memorial was shut down almost the entire time I was stationed there.

Gunny
10-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Not sure I like talking to you Brits. You make me spell things funny. :laugh:

Christie Brinkley
10-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Not sure I like talking to you Brits. You make me spell things funny. :laugh:
Be careful with colourful;)

tailfins
10-18-2015, 06:19 PM

Union labor.

aboutime
10-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Just another Obama SEQUESTER program visible to the nation. No reasons otherwise.

Christie Brinkley
10-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Just another Obama SEQUESTER program visible to the nation. No reasons otherwise.
Bet someone is riding the gravy train;)

Gunny
10-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Bet someone is riding the gravy train;)

The union bosses.