PDA

View Full Version : Most of My Threads Suck

Perianne
10-18-2015, 06:57 PM
I was looking back at the threads I have started. Many of them got zero responses and most generated little interest.

I need to start better threads. Does anyone have any good ideas on threads to start?

gabosaurus
10-18-2015, 07:08 PM
If you don't have anything to say, don't say it. But if you prefer to say something anyway, make sure it is funny. Or that it offends someone. :cool:

tailfins
10-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I was looking back at the threads I have started. Many of them got zero responses and most generated little interest.

I need to start better threads. Does anyone have any good ideas on threads to start?

Why? There's no rule against it. If you want lots of responses, just post something that annoys lots of people. Number of responses is not a good yardstick. I'm interested in the Canadian election tomorrow. I just post about that somewhere else because few if any here are interested.

WiccanLiberal
10-18-2015, 07:14 PM
If your goal is to stir the pot, take Gabby's advice. If your goal is to say your truth, keep saying it. People aren't obligated to respond or even read every thread. But we all have the opportunity to speak our piece.

LongTermGuy
10-18-2015, 07:38 PM

"Maybe"... some folks just don't understand....or your facts are to hard to digest?:laugh:MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report)) – Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.
The research, conducted by the University of Minnesota, identifies a virulent strain of humans who are virtually immune to any form of verifiable knowledge, leaving scientists at a loss as to how to combat them.
More worryingly, Logsdon said, “As facts have multiplied, their defenses against those facts have only grown more powerful.”

"Scientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain

of Fact-Resistant Humans"

https://ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-18-2015, 07:55 PM
"Maybe"... some folks just don't understand....or your facts are to hard to digest?:laugh:MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report)) – Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.
The research, conducted by the University of Minnesota, identifies a virulent strain of humans who are virtually immune to any form of verifiable knowledge, leaving scientists at a loss as to how to combat them.
More worryingly, Logsdon said, “As facts have multiplied, their defenses against those facts have only grown more powerful.”

"Scientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain

of Fact-Resistant Humans"

https://ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans/

Yep and about 95% of them are staunch democrats.. --Tyr

Gunny
10-18-2015, 10:23 PM

You have to look at how people post. I'd wager most are like me ... look at the Top Ten and go. I have to be really bored to actually go through the subforums anymore. If you post a thread that gets buried, I won't see it. I also don't comment on crap I either know nothing about or don't care about.

But don't sell yourself short. I gave up a LONG ago trying to do the math on this one. You can do a thread on dead skunks and end up with an 8-pager. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. Depends on the players and who is playing at the time. If I'm bored between 2-5 AM, I'll cover the Top Ten and no one else except maybe one of the Brits is on with me. Got a LOT to do with timing.

Interaction counts. You interact with me a little, but I don't see you interacting much with people. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. Just an observation. You're very reserved. Most of the rest of us aren't quite so much. You have already seen MY temper on display. :laugh:

But don't feel lonely in the boat. I've started threads I thought were good topics and they just disappear and started others I thought were jokes that turned into multi-pages. Tyr's joke in the humor section is a perfect example. He started a joke and it's turned into a battle. You just never know.

Just be friendly, tolerant and go with the flow. There are good people here. If you think for a minute everyone doesn't know you're here, think again. And if you weren't, don't think that would go unnoticed either. You're reminding me of "don't try too hard". If we didn't like and appreciate you, your little tail end would already have been run off.

gabosaurus
10-18-2015, 11:53 PM

If you don't start a thread that provides an obvious opportunity to bash Obama, Hillary or liberals in general, you are not going to draw much interest.
Since I want you to remain popular and beloved, allow me to present some thread options that will serve as red meat for the drooling attack dogs:

**Obama is evil and needs to go for prison for (....)
**(...) is why Hillary should be charged with treason!
**(...) provides more proof why liberals are ruining the country!
**(...) gives me even more doubts about those insidious former marines with infant granchildren
** BOOBIES!! :boobies:

LongTermGuy
10-19-2015, 12:21 AM
If you don't start a thread that provides an obvious opportunity to bash Obama, Hillary or liberals in general, you are not going to draw much interest.
Since I want you to remain popular and beloved, allow me to present some thread options that will serve as red meat for the drooling attack dogs:

**(...) gives me even more doubts about those insidious former marines with infant granchildren

http://www.lindsaylackey.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/drool.jpghttps://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M375fe127b9780589443bf8201769513co0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
http://blurbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/feeding-dogs-with-bottle.gif

Gunny
10-19-2015, 04:20 AM

WTF is a "former" Marine? Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine. Even when we're babysitting. Kid'll know her General Orders by the time she's two. :laugh:

Drummond
10-19-2015, 09:43 AM
If you don't have anything to say, don't say it. But if you prefer to say something anyway, make sure it is funny. Or that it offends someone. :cool:

You obviously gave this a lot of thought, a long time ago .... but .... so few of your offerings are funny, Gabby ....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-19-2015, 09:51 AM
My friend, part of it is it is just slow now and with the new members coming in (which we welcome!) time is taken up there reading and some of us have such little time to participate here right now.
I find your comments and threads informative, well thought out and always sincerely given!
Don't sell yourself short. --Tyr

DLT
10-19-2015, 09:59 AM
You obviously gave this a lot of thought, a long time ago .... but .... so few of your offerings are funny, Gabby ....

Heads up. PMs full.

DLT
10-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Don't judge your threads merely by how many responses they get. Just be yourself and put them out there. Discuss what matters to you. We're not politicians, after all. :cool:

Gunny
10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
My friend, part of it is it is just slow now and with the new members coming in (which we welcome!) time is taken up there reading and some of us have such little time to participate here right now.
I find your comments and threads informative, well thought out and always sincerely given!
Don't sell yourself short. --Tyr

I agree. I like her around. I just kind of take the same stance as I do with my GF .. she posts recipes on a different board. I'm about as interested in recipes as trimming my toenails. As I pointed out elsewhere, I don't need to come trash your thread if I have nothing to say. Unless I don't like you. :laugh:

I actually met Perianne on a different board and for all us old farts, she was Mr P's GF or SO at the time. If she wants to tell us, she will. Her business. I just don't want her to feel unwelcome.

Gunny
10-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Don't judge your threads merely by how many responses they get. Just be yourself and put them out there. Discuss what matter to you. We're not politicians, after all. :cool:

We're not? They should let us run the country. We know more about politics than any of these elected officials. :laugh:

Perianne
10-19-2015, 11:40 AM
I agree. I like her around. I just kind of take the same stance as I do with my GF .. she posts recipes on a different board. I'm about as interested in recipes as trimming my toenails. As I pointed out elsewhere, I don't need to come trash your thread if I have nothing to say. Unless I don't like you. :laugh:

I actually met Perianne on a different board and for all us old farts, she was Mr P's GF or SO at the time. If she wants to tell us, she will. Her business. I just don't want her to feel unwelcome.

He was a different Mr. P from the one on this board. He took the name Mr. P as in Mr. Perianne.

He was my best male friend for many years. Then my husband died and he was a shoulder to lean on. We both mistook that friendship for love...and we got married. Too soon.

We got married in a few months after my husband died and it was all over quickly. He is a nice, calm guy and I can be a bitch sometimes.

My first marriage was steeped in violence. My first husband hit me often and I learned to hit back. He actually was proud of my fighting spirit and taught me how to fight even better. He taught me how to punch using that bag he had in the garage. He taught me how to put my hips into hitting. That came in very handy later when I fought a girl at work; she was no match for my speed and power. But fighting with my husband was like training a dog to fight a pit bull. There was no chance of winning. He would slap me around some and then it would turn into a high-energy romantic night. I got used to the violence and it even turned me on, as it did him. We got into whippings. I found I liked the pain. It was a hate/worship relationship. We could get higher on each other than anyone but also more violent. I don't know how many times I have woken up on the floor with no memory of how I got there. But my sore cheek or jaw would tell me I had been knocked out by a fist. I always forgave him and found ways to blame myself. I found it was always my fault for pushing him to the point that he had to hit me. I deserved the punishment he gave me and it always turned me on.

Unfortunately, when I got angry with my second husband, I would revert to twenty-five years of violence and react in a violent manner. He was an old-time gentleman and would never hit me. He didn't get turned on by the violence. It wasn't second nature to him and he found a way to escape by leaving. He took a traveling position in a town in central Ohio, about four hours away, and he never came back to live with me. He has since moved back to Lexington, but we rarely talk. We have both moved on and see other people now.

So, that is the story of Mr. P.

DLT
10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
We're not? They should let us run the country. We know more about politics than any of these elected officials. :laugh:

We also know about things we should that never do...ie "Don't let this happen to you: become a politician". :laugh:

Gunny
10-19-2015, 01:07 PM
He was a different Mr. P from the one on this board. He took the name Mr. P as in Mr. Perianne.

He was my best male friend for many years. Then my husband died and he was a shoulder to lean on. We both mistook that friendship for love...and we got married. Too soon.

We got married in a few months after my husband died and it was all over quickly. He is a nice, calm guy and I can be a bitch sometimes.

My first marriage was steeped in violence. My first husband hit me often and I learned to hit back. He actually was proud of my fighting spirit and taught me how to fight even better. He taught me how to punch using that bag he had in the garage. He taught me how to put my hips into hitting. That came in very handy later when I fought a girl at work; she was no match for my speed and power. But fighting with my husband was like training a dog to fight a pit bull. There was no chance of winning. He would slap me around some and then it would turn into a high-energy romantic night. I got used to the violence and it even turned me on, as it did him. We got into whippings. I found I liked the pain. It was a hate/worship relationship. We could get higher on each other than anyone but also more violent. I don't know how many times I have woken up on the floor with no memory of how I got there. But my sore cheek or jaw would tell me I had been knocked out by a fist. I always forgave him and found ways to blame myself. I found it was always my fault for pushing him to the point that he had to hit me. I deserved the punishment he gave me and it always turned me on.

Unfortunately, when I got angry with my second husband, I would sometimes hit him. He was an old-time gentleman and would never hit me back. He didn't get turned on by the violence. It wasn't second nature to him and he found a way to escape by leaving. He took a traveling position in a town in central Ohio, about four hours away, and he never came back to live with me. He has since moved back to Lexington, but we rarely talk. We have both moved on and see other people now.

So, that is the story of Mr. P.

Hell, you'll fit right in here. Which one of us do you think is "normal"? I'd LOVE for us to be the Avengers. Crap. We wouldn't get boiling water right. Jim would be snorting coffee through a straw and I'd be just be getting pissed about something because it exists. Just don't give Kathianne any wine. THAT is a secret weapon to be unleashed only in an emergency. :laugh:

hjmick
10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Oh hell, if I had a dollar for every one of my thread fails I wouldn't be clicking "Submit Reply" for this post...

I'd be somewhere the hell else doing something that's not this...

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 12:29 PM

I often find some of my threads not getting any replies. I look at the thread a day later, and think to myself "fudgers can't even be bothered, well then fudge them!" and then I move on to the next one. :)

I wouldn't even think about it. Post what you like and have fun. And remember, replying to other folks threads is just as important as starting a thread. Depends on the day I suppose. If it's controversial in congress or on the news, it's likely to be the same and get discussion here too. There are lots of places to scour the latest news stories from around the world (Drudge, CNN, Newsmax, MSNBC...)

Black Diamond
10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
I often find some of my threads not getting any replies. I look at the thread a day later, and think to myself "fudgers can't even be bothered, well then fudge them!" and then I move on to the next one. :)

I wouldn't even think about it. Post what you like and have fun. And remember, replying to other folks threads is just as important as starting a thread. Depends on the day I suppose. If it's controversial in congress or on the news, it's likely to be the same and get discussion here too. There are lots of places to scour the latest news stories from around the world (Drudge, CNN, Newsmax, MSNBC...)
Reminds me of the television version of the breakfast club. "Flip you Claire. Flip you". :laugh:

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Reminds me of the television version of the breakfast club. "Flip you Claire. Flip you". :laugh:

I'm trying my best to not curse, or do so in a different way. But I know all you smuckers know what I really mean! :laugh:

Gunny
10-20-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm trying my best to not curse, or do so in a different way. But I know all you smuckers know what I really mean! :laugh:

Sucks, doesn't it? I got a baby around. I have to bite my tongue a lot! :laugh:

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Sucks, doesn't it? I got a baby around. I have to bite my tongue a lot! :laugh:

I don't know how long I can do it for though, especially with the bast$%d word. It's kinda like writing "the" for me.

Gunny
10-20-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't know how long I can do it for though, especially with the bast$%d word. It's kinda like writing "the" for me.

I talk like a jarhead. I don't cuss around children though. Just out of practice.:laugh:

Bastard is a dirty word? Hell, if that's ALL you call me I'm feeling good about my position.:laugh:

Perianne
10-20-2015, 01:28 PM
No one asked anyone else to stop saying bad words. I was simply grateful for the decrease.

I say words that others find abominable. For example, I probably say the word "nigger" every day, even multiple times a day if my black neighbors are loud (which is most days, since they are in fact black).

Gunny
10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
No one asked anyone else to stop saying bad words. I was simply grateful for the decrease.

I say words that others find abominable. For example, I probably say the word "nigger" every day, even multiple times a day if my black neighbors are loud (which is most days, since they are in fact black).

Don't be so defensive, ma'am. Nobody accused anyone of anything. I personally don't care who says what. You wanted to know about your threads and look which one's working. :laugh:

I don't know what anyone else's reasons are but I have to not do it because if a child gets a potty mouth, I don't want it being from me. Jim's just teasing and so am I. ;)

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 01:37 PM

We know you didn't ask. :) It's just that once it's pointed out, now the next guy that goes off cursing is the bad guy! LOL :beer:

Perianne
10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Don't be so defensive, ma'am. Nobody accused anyone of anything. I personally don't care who says what. You wanted to know about your threads and look which one's working. :laugh:

I don't know what anyone else's reasons are but I have to not do it because if a child gets a potty mouth, I don't want it being from me. Jim's just teasing and so am I. ;)

We know you didn't ask. :) It's just that once it's pointed out, now the next guy that goes off cursing is the bad guy! LOL :beer:

I know you guys are just having fun with it, and that pleases me. Gunny, I am not being defensive. It honors me greatly that you guys think highly enough of me to even consider not saying words that will cause you to go to hell! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am sooooo funny sometimes. I make me laugh.

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 01:41 PM
I talk like a jarhead. I don't cuss around children though. Just out of practice.:laugh:

Bastard is a dirty word? Hell, if that's ALL you call me I'm feeling good about my position.:laugh:

You don't want to know what I call a lot of other drivers. I vent quite a bit while on the road. I also say the F word a lot. But I'm good about knowing when it's ok and when it's not. Sometimes. Most of the time.

jimnyc
10-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I know you guys are just having fun with it, and that pleases me. Gunny, I am not being defensive. It honors me greatly that you guys think highly enough of me to even consider not saying words that will cause you to go to hell! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am sooooo funny sometimes. I make me laugh.

Wow, bad words add up towards going to hell? I'm afraid there may be no turning back at this point then.

Perianne
10-20-2015, 01:47 PM
I have two rules in my house that directly affect men. 1) No farting (except in the bathroom) 2)No profanity.

My husband used to go to the bathroom to fart, and he would halfway blow the doors off. The neighbors could probably hear it. I didn't like hearing him do it, but he was following the rules, so I had to let it go. :)

Perianne
10-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Wow, bad words add up towards going to hell? I'm afraid there may be no turning back at this point then.

Yes, you don't want to go there. Think of who you would have to spend eternity with: Teddy Kennedy, Hillary, Obama....ugggh. I can't imagine that eternity.

So you better stop saying bad words!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Gunny
10-20-2015, 01:50 PM
You don't want to know what I call a lot of other drivers. I vent quite a bit while on the road. I also say the F word a lot. But I'm good about knowing when it's ok and when it's not. Sometimes. Most of the time.

Get in line on THAT one. My GFs daughter gets freaked out when I get going. And you should hear my GF. :laugh: Holy crap! And you want a REAL piece of work, ride with my daughter. OMG. Chip off the old block and then some. :drillsarge:

I just try because of the kid.

Gunny
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM

BTW ... same goes that Posted earlier about rep and thanks. Say something you think is really important and cool, and nothing. Turn around and post some dumb ass one-liner you mean as a joke/aren't serious about and half the board is repping or thanking you. Like I said, there's no rhyme nor reason.

Now if you want to know something REALLY intriguing, I can be the only one logged in at 2AM but when I look at the forums there're about 10 people viewing. I'd LOVE to know who lurks on this board in the wee hours of the morning.

indago
10-20-2015, 05:56 PM
btw ... Same goes that posted earlier about rep and thanks. Say something you think is really important and cool, and nothing. Turn around and post some dumb ass one-liner you mean as a joke/aren't serious about and half the board is repping or thanking you. Like i said, there's no rhyme nor reason.

Now if you want to know something really intriguing, i can be the only one logged in at 2am but when i look at the forums there're about 10 people viewing. I'd love to know who lurks on this board in the wee hours of the morning.

cia, nsa, fbi...

Elessar
10-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Pretty Lady....just be yourself.

You are pleasant to chat with. Do not fret about the rest.

LongTermGuy
10-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Pretty Lady....just be yourself.

You are pleasant to chat with. Do not fret about the rest.

....Couldn't of said it better Elessar.....well done sir...!:cool:

Elessar
10-20-2015, 07:25 PM
cia, nsa, fbi...

Add conspiracy theorists....:laugh:

tailfins
10-20-2015, 07:29 PM

That is interesting the first dozen times or so. It's kind of like farting in public; after awhile it loses its thrill.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Quit being so sensitive, Perianne. Did you start any threads today?

Perianne
11-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Yes, I started four today and got six replies between the four of them. 1.5 average.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Yes, I started four today and got six replies between the four of them. 1.5 average.

Then you have to conclude that your threads suck!!! lol

Gunny
11-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Then you have to conclude that your threads suck!!! lol

Most of our threads suck. I've got them buried back to when Jim started this board. So does he. So does everyone else. I have threads buried on USMB back to 2002. I can pick a topic I think is important and get amybe one response. I can say something stupid and it goes for pages. If you're trying to figure out the logic, don't. If you're taking it personally, don't.

We can take a thread about growing plants and end up discussing the rings of Saturn. Just the way it goes.

Would like t know where wiccan is though. She and v4r have vanished.

fj1200
11-05-2015, 06:18 PM

We have to many threads anyway.

Jeff
11-06-2015, 08:25 AM
I have two rules in my house that directly affect men. 1) No farting (except in the bathroom) 2)No profanity.

My husband used to go to the bathroom to fart, and he would halfway blow the doors off. The neighbors could probably hear it. I didn't like hearing him do it, but he was following the rules, so I had to let it go. :)

OK I so we couldn't live together :laugh: