PDA

View Full Version : Some you like, some you don't

Abbey Marie
10-19-2015, 07:42 PM
My father likes just about any sport. Football, baseball, hockey, bowling, tiddlywinks.

But most of us are a bit mores selective, I think. What do you like/dislike and why?

I love football, used to like basketball (mostly because I liked playing it. I had quite the outside shot, if I may say so :cool:).

Hate baseball

Only like hockey in-person

No interest in soccer whatsoever

I believe football to be the perfect sport. There is so much more going on than just running back and forth to score goals like basketball, hockey and soccer. I like the pace, and generally there is enough scoring to keep one interested. No 1-0 scores, like the aforementioned hockey and soccer. And no waiting until the last couple of minutes for the real excitement, like basketball.

Baseball- yuk. Watching my fingernails grow is about as much excitement.

Comment? Your interests?

Gunny
10-19-2015, 07:48 PM
My father likes just about any sport. Football, baseball, hockey, bowling, tiddlywinks.

But most of us are a bit mores selective, I think. What do you like/dislike and why?

I love football, used to like basketball (mostly because I liked playing it. I has quit the outside shot,. if I may say so :cool:).

Hate baseball

Only like hockey in-person

No interest in soccer whatsoever

I believe football to be the perfect sport. There is so much more going on than just running back and forth to score goals like basketball, hockey and soccer. I like the pace, and generally there is enough scoring to keep one interested. No 1-0 scores, like the aforementioned hockey and soccer. And no waiting until the last couple of minutes for the real excitement, like basketball.

Baseball- yuk. Watching my fingernails grow is about as much excitement.

Comment? Your interests?

I played baseball, football and basketball. There are other sports? Oh yeah, I kickboxed.

LongTermGuy
10-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Boxing...football....(baseball as a kid)...The rest bore me...(I do enjoy the cage-fighting `sport?)

Gunny
10-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Boxing...football....(baseball as a kid)...The rest bore me...(I do enjoy the cage-fighting `sport?)

I do if they stand up and fight. I know how to ground fight, but it's boring. Watching 2 guys roll around on each other for 3 to 5 5 minute rounds is lame. And it proves nothing to me. That one person can beat one other person. What if you have more than one attacker? You think one's going to stand around while you roll around on the floor with the other?

gabosaurus
10-19-2015, 09:16 PM
I love baseball because I grew up with it. I went to games with my dad and he taught me all the cerebral aspects of the game. Baseball is not a sport for those with a limited attention span. Or those without interest in the dynamics of the game itself.

Soccer is the same way. I used to be clueless about the game. My mom, having grown up in Germany, views watching soccer as others would attending a religious service. Same way with my friend in Italy, who screams at the TV and goes stark raving bonkers at a live match.

You want a mind boggling slow pace? Try watching cricket. A test match can last for five days. One batter can stay in for several hours. At the same time, it affords spectators a chance to socialize for hours at a time.

To me, the most boring game to watch is golf. What is the point? Playing a round, I can understand. But who sits around and watches it? Same with tennis.

Football I can't get into. I watch Steelers games because my friend Katie (aka the world's most devoted Steelers fan) comes over and suffers immensely if they are losing. Occasionally friends of my husband will come over to watch games.

Basketball makes me want to throw things at the TV. Each team has five timeouts. There are 10 TV timeouts. There are also 50 fouls and who knows how many free throws. Play stops about every 30 seconds or so.

I like hockey because it is really fast and play doesn't stop that often. Plus they can hit each other on a regular basis and play still continues.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Mine , listed in order

Boxing----now its MMA
Football
Baseball
Racing......
Are there others????

Hunting , fishing and archery not counted as sports but were my interests .
Not much time now for anything but watching football, boxing and MMA fighting --Tyr

Gunny
10-20-2015, 02:44 AM
Mine , listed in order

Boxing----now its MMA
Football
Baseball
Racing......
Are there others????

Hunting , fishing and archery not counted as sports but were my interests .
Not much time now for anything but watching football, boxing and MMA fighting --Tyr

I like boxing. How I started out fighting. I progressed to other martial arts from there. I don't watch it much because of the corruption. Boxing judges are dumber than NFL referees.

I just always wonder if these sports hire officials from the Lighthouse of the Blind San Antonio. :laugh:

Noir
10-20-2015, 05:32 AM
Ice Hockey and Rugby both top of my list - fast paced and hard hitting, requiring team effort over individual flare.

Middle sports (that I'd watch during big events) are the likes of football, American football, and darts.

Bottom of the barrel are fighting sports, cricket, and baseball, not the slightest bit interesting.

Special mention to 'Esports' which I'd also watch most weeks.