nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Story Highlights

24,000 workers furloughed and state parks and museums are closed
Shutdown will mean Pennsylvanians cannot take driver's license tests
Judge orders slot machine parlors to remain open
Gov. Rendell says he hoped budget impasse would be brief

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/09/pennsylvania.shutdown.ap/index.html

This Governor just kissed his career goodbye. Throwing a temper tantrum because his energy bill didn't get passed so he decides to cut off over 24,000 jobs? Asshole.

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I was just thinking can't the State Senate or Assembly override this massiave fuck up? Maybe the Constutional officers?

Yurt
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't know what their constitution says, but Oregon has a provision that if a budget (must be balanced budget) is not passed by a certain date, government spending is automatically cutoff, e.g., government shuts down (cept for critical work(ers)/funds,welfare...) until the budget gets balanced.

Happened when I lived there. I know it effected the state workers (my wife thankfully was exempt as a critical worker) but it got the message across real fast. Public outrage was awesome. Even though OR does not have a full time legislature, those people took the job knowing that. I think it took them 2-3 weeks after the deadline, with the Governor himself there almost every single day, and often taking 10+ hour days, the budget got balanced. If the budget didn't get balanced, those people would probably lose their jobs anyways.

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know what their constitution says, but Oregon has a provision that if a budget (must be balanced budget) is not passed by a certain date, government spending is automatically cutoff, e.g., government shuts down (cept for critical work(ers)/funds,welfare...) until the budget gets balanced.

Happened when I lived there. I know it effected the state workers (my wife thankfully was exempt as a critical worker) but it got the message across real fast. Public outrage was awesome. Even though OR does not have a full time legislature, those people took the job knowing that. I think it took them 2-3 weeks after the deadline, with the Governor himself there almost every single day, and often taking 10+ hour days, the budget got balanced. If the budget didn't get balanced, those people would probably lose their jobs anyways.

The Governor clearly shut it down because they wouldn't pass his energy bill, so it's basically a temper tantrum move.

Yurt
07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
The Governor clearly shut it down because they wouldn't pass his energy bill, so it's basically a temper tantrum move.

I guess I missed it, I thought it had to do with the budget. Long day, can you show where the governor clearly shut down the government because his bill would not pass.

tx

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I guess I missed it, I thought it had to do with the budget. Long day, can you show where the governor clearly shut down the government because his bill would not pass.

tx

In a way it was, but it was mostly because he was pissed off because they wouldn't approve his energy plan. You would think that the State Senate and Assembly can override him. Maybe the constitutional offices like AG and Secretary of State or it might have to go as high as The Congressman or Senator from that state.

Yurt
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
In a way it was, but it was mostly because he was pissed off because they wouldn't approve his energy plan. You would think that the State Senate and Assembly can override him. Maybe the constitutional offices like AG and Secretary of State or it might have to go as high as The Congressman or Senator from that state.

So exactly why did the government shut down? Not in a way. It looks like a budget crisis. Is there something I am missing specifically? Because it looks like an Oregon situation.

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
So exactly why did the government shut down? Not in a way. It looks like a budget crisis. Is there something I am missing specifically? Because it looks like an Oregon situation.

From what I read everything but Police, Fire, Hospitals and Prisons and I think Elected officials. They even shut the DMV down.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Do you realize how many voters this guy just pissed off? I mean 24,000 people are out of work and U guarantee all of them have a bunch of family and friends in that state who are pissed of about this to. He is done politically.