PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday!

Bilgerat
10-21-2015, 09:21 AM
On this day in 1797, USS Constitution was launched from Edmund Hartt Shipyard in Boston! Join the crew in celebrating USS Constitution's 218th birthday!!!

There will be a firing of Old Ironsides' saluting battery at her launch time of 12:30 p.m., followed by the ship opening to visitors from 2:30-5 p.m.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10537018_10153010600881741_2380263591869592566_n.j pg?oh=13009ba495ad9ceeea033166467d01e6&oe=56BF0157

NightTrain
10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
I read the other day that Old Ironsides is the only ship in the U.S. Navy at the moment that has sunk another ship.

Bilgerat
10-21-2015, 09:32 AM
I read the other day that Old Ironsides is the only ship in the U.S. Navy at the moment that has sunk another ship.

Yeppers

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51908-US-Navy-news

NightTrain
10-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeppers

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51908-US-Navy-news

Oops! I missed that thread until now.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 06:59 AM
On this day in 1797, USS Constitution was launched from Edmund Hartt Shipyard in Boston! Join the crew in celebrating USS Constitution's 218th birthday!!!

There will be a firing of Old Ironsides' saluting battery at her launch time of 12:30 p.m., followed by the ship opening to visitors from 2:30-5 p.m.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10537018_10153010600881741_2380263591869592566_n.j pg?oh=13009ba495ad9ceeea033166467d01e6&oe=56BF0157

Pffft. Noobie.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 07:13 AM

You should actually get on that ship. Geez. Talk about no room. I thought the Tarawa, Peleliu and Boxer were small. I'd have gone berserk on one of those little wooden boats. Those Sailors had to have balls of steel just to not kill each other.

Bilgerat
10-22-2015, 08:40 AM
You should actually get on that ship. Geez. Talk about no room. I thought the Tarawa, Peleliu and Boxer were small. I'd have gone berserk on one of those little wooden boats. Those Sailors had to have balls of steel just to not kill each other.

Walked her decks (both topside and below) back when I was stationed in Boston.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Walked her decks (both topside and below) back when I was stationed in Boston.

Didn't take long. did it? It was in Baltimore when I was on it. People must've used to be really tiny. Either that or I'm overly big. :laugh: I can STILL remember seeing Washington's bed and he was supposedly over 6' tall? I'm close, but not quite and if he was that tall he needed a stool at the end of his bed to hold his feet up. I'd have been hanging over from the calves.

You stick ME on a boat that small with a bunch of squids and it's gong to look like Nosferatu when it's done. And doing a broadside with those iron cannons? Count me in on the boarding party.

CSM
10-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Didn't take long. did it? It was in Baltimore when I was on it. People must've used to be really tiny. Either that or I'm overly big. :laugh: I can STILL remember seeing Washington's bed and he was supposedly over 6' tall? I'm close, but not quite and if he was that tall he needed a stool at the end of his bed to hold his feet up. I'd have been hanging over from the calves.

You stick ME on a boat that small with a bunch of squids and it's gong to look like Nosferatu when it's done. And doing a broadside with those iron cannons? Count me in on the boarding party.

LOL...I heard that the average height back then was 5'7' or something like that. I also heard that most folks slept sitting up (semi) in bed back then. Those ships were made for fighting, not holiday cruises. Those iron cannons were really nasty for their day too. I'll bet a nickel to a donut that sailors and Marines from those days would think that today's sailors and Marines are all a bunch of wussess! "Walked to school barefoot in the snow, up hill .... both ways!"

Gunny
10-24-2015, 07:28 AM
LOL...I heard that the average height back then was 5'7' or something like that. I also heard that most folks slept sitting up (semi) in bed back then. Those ships were made for fighting, not holiday cruises. Those iron cannons were really nasty for their day too. I'll bet a nickel to a donut that sailors and Marines from those days would think that today's sailors and Marines are all a bunch of wussess! "Walked to school barefoot in the snow, up hill .... both ways!"

They probably would think we were wussies. The problem we as Marines always had was boredom. Back then, the job consisted of protecting the Captain and his staff from a conscripted crew; climbing the rigging and shooting the officers on the deck of an enemy ship; boarding party and landing party. And we stole that entire playbook from the British Royal Marines. What a lot of Brits probably don't know is that the USMC DOES give credit to where we came from.

And I got news for you, SgtMaj, they STILL don't make them damned boats for pleasure cruises. All the piping and valves are exposed in the passageways and if that ship is rocking and rolling, your forearms generally look like you got hit by a bobcat banging into all that crap.

The wuss thing is relevant to me, as I'm sure it is to you. By the time I retired my favorite question was "WTF are you sending me and what am I supposed to do with it?":laugh: