PDA

View Full Version : Why does it sometimes feel good to be cruel?

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 01:34 PM
What is it that makes it so enjoyable to be ugly about someone or to someone? Is it rooted in vengeance? Righting a wrong? What?

Perianne
10-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Perhaps because we, as humans, have evolved to the top of the evolutionary chain? If we see others who are "beneath" us we instinctively react in a negative way?

indago
10-22-2015, 02:13 PM
What is it that makes it so enjoyable to be ugly about someone or to someone? Is it rooted in vengeance? Righting a wrong? What?

Do you really feel "enjoyable" about being "ugly about someone or to someone"?

Perianne
10-22-2015, 02:14 PM

I have done it, we all have done it. No, I feel terrible afterwards.

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 02:26 PM

It depends. If they have a comeuppance coming, I love giving it to them. But probably most people would say I am ugly when I do that. maybe not. I have never taken a poll. Lol.

Christie Brinkley
10-22-2015, 02:26 PM
I know what you mean OP, I have had the feeling but I can't feel it now... if you get what I mean.

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 02:29 PM
I know what you mean OP, I have had the feeling but I can't feel it now... if you get what I mean.

Yeah. It comes out once in a while.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 02:38 PM

Finally telling them what you REALLY think after holding back for sometimes years. :laugh:

Gunny
10-22-2015, 02:41 PM
It depends. If they have a comeuppance coming, I love giving it to them. But probably most people would say I am ugly when I do that. maybe not. I have never taken a poll. Lol.

We're Texans though, That comeuppance thing just comes natural. :laugh:

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Finally telling them what you REALLY think after holding back for sometimes years. :laugh:

Catharsis.

Abbey Marie
10-22-2015, 02:46 PM
I wish I knew why people act so mean sometimes. I get no enjoyment out of it, so I do not get it at all. If I do say something mean, I think about it and feel badly for a long, long, time afterwards. I guess it just doesn't feel worth it to me**.

** none of the above applies when I am driving.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 03:32 PM
I wish I knew why people act so mean sometimes. I get no enjoyment out of it, so I do not get it at all. If I do say something mean, I think about it and feel badly for a long, long, time afterwards. I guess it just doesn't feel worth it to me**.

Being mean and acting mean are two different things. ma'am. I'm not a mean person. Cold and calculating, maybe. I am capable of being your worst nightmare, but as I said in the other thread, when it's over it's over. But I agree .. being mean for no reason serves no purpose.

Perianne
10-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I admit I used to be a mean girl. God forbid that some other woman made me mad.

hjmick
10-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Having no recollection of having ever been intentionally "cruel" to anyone, I have no frame of reference from which I can draw to answer the question.

Yes, I am serious.

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Having no recollection of having ever been intentionally "cruel" to anyone, I have no frame of reference from which I can draw to answer the question.

Yes, I am serious.

Even when faced with cruelty toward you, your family, or friends? Or when faced with some behavior you find absolutely detestable?

hjmick
10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Even when faced with cruelty toward you, your family, or friends? Or when faced with some behavior you find absolutely detestable?

When faced with "cruelty" towards me, I tend to take the high road and ignore. On the rare occasions that I do not, any response is not cruel, but generally a simple insult coupled with a rebuke of some fashion. When faced with cruelty towards my family or friends, coming to their defense is not an act of cruelty, it is just that, an act of defense. When faced with behavior I find detestable, speaking out against it need not be cruel, just speak up, tell a person to knock it off or to shut up, or, if need be, intervene physically. No response need be cruel, why lower yourself to the level of those you find "detestable?"

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 04:31 PM
When faced with "cruelty" towards me, I tend to take the high road and ignore. On the rare occasions that I do not, any response is not cruel, but generally a simple insult coupled with a rebuke of some fashion. When faced with cruelty towards my family or friends, coming to their defense is not an act of cruelty, it is just that, an act of defense. When faced with behavior I find detestable, speaking out against it need not be cruel, just speak up, tell a person to knock it off or to shut up, or, if need be, intervene physically. No response need be cruel, why lower yourself to the level of those you find "detestable?"

Have you ever experienced catharsis?

hjmick
10-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Have you ever experienced catharsis?

Yes. It has generally taken the form of primal screams while alone. In my younger days, when I had anger issues, it usually took the form of putting holes in walls with my visits, most often in the garage.

For the most part, I have and do speak my mind when something is vitally important to me, usually without a filter. I don't hold it in, but I am not one to be intentionally cruel or offensive. Never have been.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Notice I changed the word from "cruel" to "mean". There's nothing cruel about me. I should have used "ruthless" instead of "mean". If you're a threat, you're going down and I don't care how.

But just being mean or cruel? Don't get it. All you prove is that you are cruel.

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Notice I changed the word from "cruel" to "mean". There's nothing cruel about me. I should have used "ruthless" instead of "mean". If you're a threat, you're going down and I don't care how.

But just being mean or cruel? Don't get it. All you prove is that you are cruel.
When you eliminate a threat, whatever it may be, do you do it ferociously? How does that feel?

Gunny
10-22-2015, 05:58 PM
When you eliminate a threat, whatever it may be, do you do it ferociously? How does that feel?

You're asking ME? I'm a warrior and my name is Scottish. Not for no reason. You get me in battle and I'm a machine and if you kill babies .... you're dead. Ferocious ain't a good enough word. I don't know how it feels. You don't feel anything when in the actual fight. You always feel afterward.

The actual fight is nothing. It's what you see before and after. And there's no ferocity in that. Just sadness at the things other people will do to one another.

Elessar
10-22-2015, 06:05 PM

That is why I mind my manners unless it an extreme.

Black Diamond
10-22-2015, 06:22 PM

I usually do, too. But certain people get to me.

Gunny
10-22-2015, 06:26 PM

If everyone minded their manners the world would be a different place. I'm Southern and old school. Got that book of manners down pat. Or else. :laugh: You didn't mind your manners when I was kid and there was no happy ending.

gabosaurus
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
When I used to get angry, my dad would tell me this:

"Children fight. Adults settle their differences."

I admit to times where I was mean spirited, cruel and unnecessarily vindictive.
Then I grew up. :cool:

Elessar
10-22-2015, 10:41 PM
When I used to get angry, my dad would tell me this:

"Children fight. Adults settle their differences."

I admit to times where I was mean spirited, cruel and unnecessarily vindictive.
Then I grew up. :cool:

You can be sweet, Gabby and I respect that.

Fair enough?