PDA

View Full Version : El Niņo Creates Strongest Tropical Cyclone Ever Measured In Western Hemisphere

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 08:52 AM
I don't think there are many Mexican members on the forum but this looks like it is going to be a bad one.

With winds of up to 200mph the category 5 hurricane is expected to slam into Mexico's west coast later today.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7821&stc=1

Hurricane Patricia is expected to hit Mexico's second most populous city- Guadalajara

The storm is expected to bring widespread flooding/ wind damage and mudslides.

Read More (http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-patricia-mexico-coast)

Gunny
10-23-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't think there are many Mexican members on the forum but this looks like it is going to be a bad one.

With winds of up to 200mph the category 5 hurricane is expected to slam into Mexico's west coast later today.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7821&stc=1

Hurricane Patricia is expected to hit Mexico's second most populous city- Guadalajara

The storm is expected to bring widespread flooding/ wind damage and mudslides.

Read More (http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-patricia-mexico-coast)

They aren't even prepared for it. Hurricanes don't usually hit the West Coast. I know from living in Florida how people get complacent about it. And I've been through 3 of them and 2 typhoons (another word for hurricane).

For one, most Mexicans are too poor to stock up. I doubt they're knowledgeable enough to head for high ground. The wind and rain are less of a problem than the tidal surge. You have to get above the flood plain. Sadly there will be more drowning victims out of this than anything else.

But don't worry. O-blah-blah will be Johnny on the Spot like he was in Baltimore.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 10:02 AM
They aren't even prepared for it. Hurricanes don't usually hit the West Coast. I know from living in Florida how people get complacent about it. And I've been through 3 of them and 2 typhoons (another word for hurricane).

For one, most Mexicans are too poor to stock up. I doubt they're knowledgeable enough to head for high ground. The wind and rain are less of a problem than the tidal surge. You have to get above the flood plain. Sadly there will be more drowning victims out of this than anything else.

But don't worry. O-blah-blah will be Johnny on the Spot like he was in Baltimore.
They should be shipping in the aid now before the storm hits. After the storm hits like Haiyan the run ways are blocked with debris.

This could turn nasty.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 10:13 AM
They should be shipping in the aid now before the storm hits. After the storm hits like Haiyan the run ways are blocked with debris.

This could turn nasty.

You don't ship aid in for a hurricane. You get the Hell out. You set up camps and send your aid to high ground with camps for refugees. What they need to be doing is sending in mass transportation to evacuate. A Cat 5 is no joke. IIRC, for comparison, Katrina was only a 3 when it actually made landfall. It destroyed New Orleans. Oddly enough, I lived in Key West in 68 when Camille ran over us like we weren't there on its way to wipe out New Orleans. The entire island was under water for 3 days. Fortunately, our hurricane shelters were the barracks on base and they were made of cinder blocks. Our apt in base housing was on the second floor and it was a swamp.

It's going to be nasty. And our new best buddy will be the Mexican government wanting aid.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 10:18 AM
You don't ship aid in for a hurricane. You get the Hell out. You set up camps and send your aid to high ground with camps for refugees. What they need to be doing is sending in mass transportation to evacuate. A Cat 5 is no joke. IIRC, for comparison, Katrina was only a 3 when it actually made landfall. It destroyed New Orleans. Oddly enough, I lived in Key West in 68 when Camille ran over us like we weren't there on its way to wipe out New Orleans. The entire island was under water for 3 days. Fortunately, our hurricane shelters were the barracks on base and they were made of cinder blocks. Our apt in base housing was on the second floor and it was a swamp.

It's going to be nasty. And our new best buddy will be the Mexican government wanting aid.
The aid should already being shipped in via plane+train as we speak to a safe location at air force/military bases.

Like at these air force bases especially Zapopan air force base the place should be packed to the rafters with food/tents/blankets/clean water

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7823&stc=1

Gunny
10-23-2015, 11:07 AM
The aid should already being shipped in via plane+train as we speak to a safe location at air force/military bases.

Like at these air force bases especially Zapopan air force base the place should be packed to the rafters with food/tents/blankets/clean water

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7823&stc=1

It doesn't happen that way. Mexico has an upper class and the poor. No middle class. Their government is slower than ours is. Their help will be too little too late. This is the first time I remember an actual hurricane hitting the West Coast. And I'm OLD. They are neither educated nor prepared.

The nearest support from the US is from states that are going to be hit by the fallout. They won't be able to get planes off the ground and nobody in his right mind is taking a boat in there until the tidal surge withdraws. The Mexican government isn't going to do crap. It's as inept as it gets. The only thing anyone can really hope for is that hurricanes usually lose some of their power as they get close to land.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 11:10 AM
It doesn't happen that way. Mexico has an upper class and the poor. No middle class. Their government is slower than ours is. Their help will be too little too late. This is the first time I remember an actual hurricane hitting the West Coast. And I'm OLD. They are neither educated nor prepared.

The nearest support from the US is from states that are going to be hit by the fallout. They won't be able to get planes off the ground and nobody in his right mind is taking a boat in there until the tidal surge withdraws. The Mexican government isn't going to do crap. It's as inept as it gets. The only thing anyone can really hope for is that hurricanes usually lose some of their power as they get close to land.
The aid should be there before the storm hits, obviously in a safe location but I bet the Mexican government makes a total mess of the relief effort.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 11:22 AM
The aid should be there before the storm hits, obviously in a safe location but I bet the Mexican government makes a total mess of the relief effort.

We're just saying the same thing in different ways. But what exactly do you prepare for? In 79 or 80, Hurricane David was running a beeline to Miami. We all boarded up, taped our windows and stocked up and were set for the long haul. The storm popped north and hit Orlando and all we got was a bunch of rain. You can't out-think those stupid storms. They're like having little kids.

Conversely, I sat through a typhoon in Okinawa that lasted 3 days. Sure, it's good to be prepared, but you just don't know. Evacuate or no? Looters love it when you evacuate.

There's no right answer to a hurricane. You either take your chances and ride out the storm or you head for high ground. In Oki, and Florida, high ground's not an option. On board a ship, you outrun the storm. In Mexico, they have high ground NE. I don't know what their sea level is but I'm at least loading up and getting above the flood plane.

Elessar
10-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I have seen several hit Mexico.

Cabo San Lucas is especially vulnerable to them, and La Paz inside the Gulf of California.
They got clobbered a few years back.

La Paz is a wonderful little town, unlike the border towns like Tiajuana

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 12:53 PM
NEW PICTURE:
WATCH ONLINE LIVE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5Y4lISF0s
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7826&stc=1

Gunny
10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
I have seen several hit Mexico.

Cabo San Lucas is especially vulnerable to them, and La Paz inside the Gulf of California.
They got clobbered a few years back.

La Paz is a wonderful little town, unlike the border towns like Tiajuana

They usually hit from the east. Tijuana is fine as long as you want to drink Sol beer and bathtub tequila. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
10-23-2015, 03:24 PM
NEW PICTURE:
WATCH ONLINE LIVE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5Y4lISF0s
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7826&stc=1

That looks like a Van Gogh painting. We should pray for the people in the area.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
That looks like a Van Gogh painting. We should pray for the people in the area.
If it is bad then I would not count on the Mexican government to help you. Government officials would probably sell off international aid for their own pocket!

LongTermGuy
10-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Oh...you got that right...he will be on tv...talking about Global warming ( Liberal new climate change) and opening the "feel good gates wider" ...more Democrat voters....*Never let an opportunity go to waste.......we will see.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Oh...you got that right...he will be on tv...talking about Global warming ( Liberal new climate change) and opening the "feel good gates wider" ...more Democrat voters....*Never let an opportunity go to waste.......we will see.
They have started calling for a 'global pact' before the thing has even hit!
http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-plea-climate-consensus-hurricane-nears-172328643.html

Mexico's climate negotiator issued a tearful plea Friday to UN colleagues to put aside their differences for a global pact, as a superhurricane headed for his country.
"In about four hours, Hurricane Patricia will hit the Mexican coast," Roberto Dondisch said at the closing session of a fraught round of negotiations in Bonn. "I don't think I need to say more about the urgency to get this deal done."

As I said this is because of El Nino not man made climate change bunkum.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 05:28 PM
If it is bad then I would not count on the Mexican government to help you. Government officials would probably sell off international aid for their own pocket!

That's the whole point between the right and left in THIS country. I ain't counting on any damned body to help ME. I'm taking care of my own. Same philosophy goes with with gun ownership. I'm not going to sit around hoping someone solves my murder. The philosophy of right vs left is staggeringly obvious. Doing something vs sitting around waiting on someone to bail your ass out.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 05:32 PM
That's the whole point between the right and left in THIS country. I ain't counting on any damned body to help ME. I'm taking care of my own. Same philosophy goes with with gun ownership. I'm not going to sit around hoping someone solves my murder. The philosophy of right vs left is staggeringly obvious. Doing something vs sitting around waiting on someone to bail your ass out.
The United States is mostly populated (on the whole) by independent people which comes naturally in a frontier nation. If a natural disaster happens in Europe then people will lock themselves in their bathrooms and urinate on themselves. That is what a thousand years of monarchy does to a population.

Now in the states your prosperity and high standard of living is having its side effects of a decadent reliant society.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 05:37 PM
The United States is mostly populated (on the whole) by independent people which comes naturally in a frontier nation. If a natural disaster happens in Europe then people will lock themselves in their bathrooms and urinate on themselves. That is what a thousand years of monarchy does to a population.

Now in the states your prosperity and high standard of living is having its side effects of a decadent reliant society.

THAT made me laugh so hard I have tears. :laugh:

And I agree with your second. As soon as I stop laughing at the first. :laugh2:

Elessar
10-23-2015, 06:40 PM

That really depends on the locale.

City folk are generally pretty much helpless, waiting for the government to bail them out as in
Katrina and New Orleans.

But rural and country folk pull up their overalls, lace their boots, and go out and help each other fix things.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 06:43 PM
That really depends on the locale.

City folk are generally pretty much helpless, waiting for the government to bail them out as in
Katrina and New Orleans.

But rural and country folk pull up their overalls, lace their boots, and go out and help each other fix things.
Yeah city folk in the liberal citadels especially are the same as the weak liberal europeans. For example southern California, Seattle, New York, Washington, Chicago.

Christie Brinkley
10-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Looks like the storm passed over a less populated area. Looks like heavy rain for Texas.

Gunny
10-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Looks like the storm passed over a less populated area. Looks like heavy rain for Texas.

The problem in Texas is it's mostly dry hard ground. The saturation point is not very high. Everything runs into dry washes and the rivers and creeks, then overruns them.

Remember what I said about Hurricane David? We were all hunkered down in Miami and the storm made a right turn. Same here. If you could pick a better spot for this storm to hit, I'm not sure where.

As far as this "Global Summit" you mentioned ... I suppose if they think they can change global cyclical climate change, they probably think they can drive hurricanes.:laugh:

Christie Brinkley
10-24-2015, 06:40 AM
The problem in Texas is it's mostly dry hard ground. The saturation point is not very high. Everything runs into dry washes and the rivers and creeks, then overruns them.

Remember what I said about Hurricane David? We were all hunkered down in Miami and the storm made a right turn. Same here. If you could pick a better spot for this storm to hit, I'm not sure where.

As far as this "Global Summit" you mentioned ... I suppose if they think they can change global cyclical climate change, they probably think they can drive hurricanes.:laugh:
The climate cult are probably disappointed it was not as deadly as predicted.

Gunny
10-24-2015, 06:48 AM
The climate cult are probably disappointed it was not as deadly as predicted.

If they were so concerned about the climate, they'd cut down own their dang summits where they release more hot air accomplishing nothing but a promise to have another summit than all the vehicles in LA.

Christie Brinkley
10-24-2015, 06:52 AM
If they were so concerned about the climate, they'd cut down own their dang summits where they release more hot air accomplishing nothing but a promise to have another summit than all the vehicles in LA.
The people who are these alarmists are mostly millionaires/billionaires that ride around in private jets!

Gunny
10-24-2015, 07:10 AM
The people who are these alarmists are mostly millionaires/billionaires that ride around in private jets!

I'm well aware of that. The Democrats in this country are the biggest hypocrites in the world, I think. They want to make rules for everyone else, but think they, the leftist elite, are above them.

jimnyc
10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
I haven't scoured the news much yet this morning. Can someone confirm and please tell me that Mexico blew away?

Gunny
10-24-2015, 07:31 AM
I haven't scoured the news much yet this morning. Can someone confirm and please tell me that Mexico blew away?

You wish. :laugh: The storm hit an unpopulated area and did minimal damage.

jimnyc
10-24-2015, 07:37 AM
You wish. :laugh: The storm hit an unpopulated area and did minimal damage.

I was hoping that maybe Mexico got lifted up, kinda like the house in Wizard of Oz, and landed in maybe Norway, France, maybe even Spain. They can go south, southeast, and take their chances with the nice fellas from ISIS. Or walk north, northwest and go to the places that are just dying to take in millions of them and use the money of all of the citizens to help out these poor folks. :)

Gunny
10-24-2015, 07:42 AM
I was hoping that maybe Mexico got lifted up, kinda like the house in Wizard of Oz, and landed in maybe Norway, France, maybe even Spain. They can go south, southeast, and take their chances with the nice fellas from ISIS. Or walk north, northwest and go to the places that are just dying to take in millions of them and use the money of all of the citizens to help out these poor folks. :)

THAT is actually a concern. You know Obama will welcome the refugees with open arms at OUR expense. I'm kind of glad it didn't do much damage.

jimnyc
10-24-2015, 07:44 AM
THAT is actually a concern. You know Obama will welcome the refugees with open arms at OUR expense. I'm kind of glad it didn't do much damage.

That's true, haven't even considered that angle. Maineman is now down in Mexico and I'd hate to see that weirdo come back again. LOL

Gunny
10-24-2015, 08:16 AM
That's true, haven't even considered that angle. Maineman is now down in Mexico and I'd hate to see that weirdo come back again. LOL

Damn. Talk about ghosts from the past. :laugh:

Guess they don't have internet where he lives or we'd STILL be graced with his presence.

jimnyc
10-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Damn. Talk about ghosts from the past. :laugh:

Guess they don't have internet where he lives or we'd STILL be graced with his presence.

He's had quite a few accounts here. I saw him create like 20 accounts at another board. I have no clue how many he did at USMB. But I will guarantee that eventually he squishes back in here like a slug, along with homoHowey who likes to create multiple accounts.

Gunny
10-24-2015, 08:50 AM
He's had quite a few accounts here. I saw him create like 20 accounts at another board. I have no clue how many he did at USMB. But I will guarantee that eventually he squishes back in here like a slug, along with homoHowey who likes to create multiple accounts.

When he was on USMB when I ran it, he had ONE. I tracked IPs. We finally had a "Come to Jesus Meeting" about it and he backed off. Agnapostate tried the same crap.

Perianne
10-24-2015, 11:01 AM

There are still Mexicans in Mexico???

jimnyc
10-24-2015, 11:36 AM
There are still Mexicans in Mexico???

No. They are "undocumented immigrants in waiting".

Perianne
10-24-2015, 01:23 PM
No. They are "undocumented immigrants in waiting".

I wonder how they like a foreign object invading their shores?

Little-Acorn
10-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I've heard that sea temperatures were a couple of degrees wormer than usual ("El Nino").

But is there any indication that this caused the hurricane?

Or is this part of the "breakfast causes lunch" meme?

Abbey Marie
10-24-2015, 06:08 PM

I"d choose Denmark. Since they are so perfect and all.