PDA

View Full Version : Problemo- Can't Quote Members Posts

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Just had a problem on my interview thread, I tried to quote Nighttrain and it presented me with this-

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7822&stc=1

Anyone else having this problem? Or am I just an idiot;):rolleyes:

Gunny
10-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Just had a problem on my interview thread, I tried to quote Nighttrain and it presented me with this-

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7822&stc=1

Anyone else having this problem? Or am I just an idiot;):rolleyes:

Try logging out then back in. I usually only get that if I time out or have a glitch. If you still have the problem just post it. Nightrain and Jim are both on. They can look into it.

Noir
10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Regular plebs can't post in the Interview forum, only Admin & Mods can.

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Regular plebs can't post in the Interview forum, only Admin & Mods can.
Cheers! I was waiting for people to write on the thread about my interview:laugh: I am such a mega pleb;)

jimnyc
10-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Sorry about that. Yeah, only staff members can post in that particular forum. It was only meant to try and keep the threads neat and tidy for future readers. I always tell everyone that they should start a new thread in the lounge to discuss the interviews.

What does the community say? Try and keep it as neat and uniform as possible - or open the section up so that everyone can reply directly on the threads?

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Sorry about that. Yeah, only staff members can post in that particular forum. It was only meant to try and keep the threads neat and tidy for future readers. I always tell everyone that they should start a new thread in the lounge to discuss the interviews.

What does the community say? Try and keep it as neat and uniform as possible - or open the section up so that everyone can reply directly on the threads?
Maybe if you sticky a thread called "Members Interviews: Reaction" in the lounge sub forum?

Black Diamond
10-23-2015, 10:20 AM

I think it should be kept as is. Prevent hijacking.

jimnyc
10-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Maybe if you sticky a thread called "Members Interviews: Reaction" in the lounge sub forum?

I like that idea, preserves the interviews but shows everyone where to go to discuss - a pre-made place to discuss.

I think it should be kept as is. Prevent hijacking.

Yups, I can see some of them turning into bash fests. A lot of interviews involve folks discussing family too. I just think it's a good thing for the board and should be left as such for folks to read and enjoy, and perhaps learn about one another.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 10:27 AM

I say leave it like it is. You have your questions and the people you interview answer them. If the peanut gallery wants to chime in, we got plenty of subforums.

Although, it might be cool if you let the people you interview have permission to post solely in their own interview. I know it's a pain in the butt, but if you're going to respond to an interview, they should have the right to respond to their own. Otherwise, I don't see the point to the possibility of someone from the peanut gallery derailing them. That would kind of defeat the point, wouldn't it?

Gunny
10-23-2015, 10:29 AM

Dang Brits ... always want another rule. :laugh:

Christie Brinkley
10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Dang Brits ... always want another rule. :laugh:
Better not be thinking of throwing any tea into water:rolleyes::tank:

jimnyc
10-23-2015, 10:33 AM
I say leave it like it is. You have your questions and the people you interview answer them. If the peanut gallery wants to chime in, we got plenty of subforums.

Although, it might be cool if you let the people you interview have permission to post solely in their own interview. I know it's a pain in the butt, but if you're going to respond to an interview, they should have the right to respond to their own. Otherwise, I don't see the point to the possibility of someone from the peanut gallery derailing them. That would kind of defeat the point, wouldn't it?

You can give rights via usergroups, but how would I give rights via individual? Not sure if you can.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
You can give rights via usergroups, but how would I give rights via individual? Not sure if you can.

Are you actually going to make me have to think? Damn. Now I know why Jeff moved to Atlanta. :laugh:

IIRC, you make that person a usergroup of one for that thread.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 11:12 AM
And my point is you and NT are having a conversation about her interview and she can't participate. I KNOW there's a way to do it, I just don't remember how. Got a few miles between me and running a board.

jimnyc
10-23-2015, 11:32 AM
And my point is you and NT are having a conversation about her interview and she can't participate. I KNOW there's a way to do it, I just don't remember how. Got a few miles between me and running a board.

I believe the only way would be to make a new usergroup, like "interviews", and then place said user in that usergroup, of course granting that group rights to that forum. Problem is, then you need to remove them eventually, or the rights remain for that forum forever. As far as I know there is no way to grant rights per thread - but of course we can ban per thread.

Or we could do like I did with the debates section, and just create another forum just beneath it for discussion.

Gunny
10-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I believe the only way would be to make a new usergroup, like "interviews", and then place said user in that usergroup, of course granting that group rights to that forum. Problem is, then you need to remove them eventually, or the rights remain for that forum forever. As far as I know there is no way to grant rights per thread - but of course we can ban per thread.

Or we could do like I did with the debates section, and just create another forum just beneath it for discussion.

Upon further review, the subforum for discussion sounds easiest. I can't remember how to restrict a thread to one person. And I don't think turning the interview threads to junk accomplishes anything. There's not a one of us that can't derail a dang train. :laugh: