PDA

View Full Version : Another school overreaction to a minor incident- baby carrot = assault and battery

revelarts
10-25-2015, 08:41 PM
baby carrot = assault and battery
but but but "its the law" i guess right?
or as Barney Fife would say "NIP IT IN THE BUD! NIP IT!"

School Wants Teen Charged with Assault for Tossing Baby Carrot at Teacher
(https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/25/school-wants-teen-charged-with-assault-f)
According to WTVR (http://wtvr.com/2015/10/22/baby-carrot-assault-charge/), Aliya May threw the vitamin-packed projectile at her teacher when she passed her in the hall at Moody Middle School in Henrico County, Virginia:
"I don't even know how to combat the stupidity," Karrie May, whose 14-year-old daughter Aliya is currently suspended for launching the vegetable, said. May said her daughter has been out of school for a month.
"I don't understand this,” May said. “Yes, it happened, and I can see a couple of days in school detention or even a couple days out-of-school suspension. But this goes way beyond that. We have to go to court, and her charges aren't small: assault and battery with a weapon." …
"If it's a soft carrot, it may not be as offensive,” said CBS 6 legal expert Todd Stone. “But if it's a raw carrot, you don't have to have an injury or show you were hurt to prove a battery. It just has to be an offensive, vindictive touch. That's what the law says."

Alas, it was not a soft carrot. And so, in the school’s view, the carrot is a weapon, and was used to commit assault and battery.
While the school refused to comment on the case, Aliya’s mom told the TV station that the school’s disciplinary review board had asked Aliya to admit her guilt, but the girl declined. Says CBS 6, “Now mom said they await a summons to see what happens next.”
Aliya could be in for a root awakening. She’s missing a lot of school in the meantime.

http://monstergirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/barney-fife-andy-taylor.jpg?w=490

"the justice system at work"

revelarts
10-25-2015, 08:45 PM
the "weapon" used in the violent assault.
from the police report

https://localtvwtvr.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/carrots-on-ruler.jpeg?w=632&h=356

Perianne
10-25-2015, 08:49 PM
So, what would you want to happen to the girl who assaulted a teacher?

Abbey Marie
10-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Sounds like if she had apologized, it would have gone much better for her. Sounds like a bad character.

revelarts
10-25-2015, 09:53 PM
So, what would you want to happen to the girl who assaulted a teacher?

As the mom said. "a couple of days in school detention or even a couple days out-of-school suspension" that's understandable.
But An Apology like " I'm so sorry, i didn't mean to hit you Ms X" should have been enough IMO though.

Also personally I don't consider a tossed carrot that hits someone in the forehead an "assault" much less consider a baby carrot a "weapon" maybe i'm one of the few left in the U.S. that does.

to me an assault is a punch, kick, slap or a hard push at minimum. Or tossing something hard enough to cause real damage.
And all of the above with malicious intent.

A golfball a baseball even a soccer ball can be considered a "weapon" in the right context. but a baby carrot? and criminal charges?
That's just STUPID.

the lawyers have won the day making everyone litigious and overly sensitive.
And transforming nearly ever careless action or unkind look into a SERIOUS crime if brought to court.

Gunny
10-26-2015, 07:40 AM
baby carrot = assault and battery
but but but "its the law" i guess right?
or as Barney Fife would say "NIP IT IN THE BUD! NIP IT!"

School Wants Teen Charged with Assault for Tossing Baby Carrot at Teacher
(https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/25/school-wants-teen-charged-with-assault-f)
According to WTVR (http://wtvr.com/2015/10/22/baby-carrot-assault-charge/), Aliya May threw the vitamin-packed projectile at her teacher when she passed her in the hall at Moody Middle School in Henrico County, Virginia:
"I don't even know how to combat the stupidity," Karrie May, whose 14-year-old daughter Aliya is currently suspended for launching the vegetable, said. May said her daughter has been out of school for a month.
"I don't understand this,” May said. “Yes, it happened, and I can see a couple of days in school detention or even a couple days out-of-school suspension. But this goes way beyond that. We have to go to court, and her charges aren't small: assault and battery with a weapon." …
"If it's a soft carrot, it may not be as offensive,” said CBS 6 legal expert Todd Stone. “But if it's a raw carrot, you don't have to have an injury or show you were hurt to prove a battery. It just has to be an offensive, vindictive touch. That's what the law says."

Alas, it was not a soft carrot. And so, in the school’s view, the carrot is a weapon, and was used to commit assault and battery.
While the school refused to comment on the case, Aliya’s mom told the TV station that the school’s disciplinary review board had asked Aliya to admit her guilt, but the girl declined. Says CBS 6, “Now mom said they await a summons to see what happens next.”
Aliya could be in for a root awakening. She’s missing a lot of school in the meantime.

http://monstergirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/barney-fife-andy-taylor.jpg?w=490

"the justice system at work"

They have had to charge the entire cafeteria when I was a kid. We had actual food fights. :laugh:

Gunny
10-26-2015, 07:52 AM
As the mom said. "a couple of days in school detention or even a couple days out-of-school suspension" that's understandable.
But An Apology like " I'm so sorry, i didn't mean to hit you Ms X" should have been enough IMO though.

Also personally I don't consider a tossed carrot that hits someone in the forehead an "assault" much less consider a baby carrot a "weapon" maybe i'm one of the few left in the U.S. that does.

to me an assault is a punch, kick, slap or a hard push at minimum. Or tossing something hard enough to cause real damage.
And all of the above with malicious intent.

A golfball a baseball even a soccer ball can be considered a "weapon" in the right context. but a baby carrot? and criminal charges?
That's just STUPID.

the lawyers have won the day making everyone litigious and overly sensitive.
And transforming nearly ever careless action or unkind look into a SERIOUS crime if brought to court.

I don't know ... looks like a fairly dangerous weapon to ME. :laugh:

revelarts
10-26-2015, 07:55 AM
They have had to charge the entire cafeteria when I was a kid. We had actual food fights. :laugh:

LoL
A food fight would probably be considered a "RIOT", "TERRORISM" and multiple "Assaults" with "weapons", and they'd have called SWAT TEAMS and the national guard to restore order.

GITMO for all of you.:laugh:

NightTrain
10-26-2015, 08:04 AM
I don't know.. I like carrots.

Now, if she'd have thrown a lima bean, on the other hand....

Teachers deserve respect from their students. She deserves suspension at the most. But charging her with assault with a weapon? BS.

If that's the case, then the school is guilty of arming the entire student body with weaponized carrots.

Another case of zero common sense displayed by those adults that are supposed to teach it. No wonder kids are so fucked up these days.

Gunny
10-26-2015, 08:12 AM
I just don't get the wussification of this country.

We used to go into the woods across the street from base and have BB gun fights. We all knew the rules and how to shoot. No head shots.

We played football rougher than these NFL pansies nowadays do in nothing but shorts. I don't think I had skin on my knees from age 7 until I was about 18. No head, knees or nuts.

Tag team wrestling in the front yard using professional wrestling moves.

And yeah, we had lawn darts and tried to hit each other with them.

Get in a fight it was one on one and if anyone interfered, the other onlookers would "curtail" that person.

But we didn't go around whining and crying about every little slight. Crybabies need not apply with alpha male military brats.

But a baby carrot? GMAFB.

sundaydriver
10-26-2015, 09:44 AM

We used to go into the woods across the street from base and have BB gun fights. We all knew the rules and how to shoot. No head shots.

We played football rougher than these NFL pansies nowadays do in nothing but shorts. I don't think I had skin on my knees from age 7 until I was about 18. No head, knees or nuts.

Get in a fight it was one on one and if anyone interfered, the other onlookers would "curtail" that person.

But we didn't go around whining and crying about every little slight. Crybabies need not apply with alpha male military brats.

I grew up 2 blocks from the hospital because:

Dad: How did you get that arrow in your leg?
Me: Playing.

Dad: How did you get a machete sunk into your ankle like that?

Dad: How did you break your leg?

Dad: Doug has a broken leg and said; that you did it!
ME: After he broke my leg, shot me with an arrow, and plunged that machete into my ankle...I was done playing!

sundaydriver
10-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes ridiculous. I threw a tomato and hit one of the cafeteria ladies my freshman year. The school gave me my own seat and table away from everyone else for the rest of the year.

No arrests, convictions, or muss.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-26-2015, 10:00 AM

No bb guns with us--dad rules!!!
Slingshots and rocks ok'ed.- no head shots...
Stick sword fighting with just bruises ok'ed --not broken bones.
Fist fighting ok'ed, bloody nose busted lip, knots on head ok'ed. No knocked out teeth and kicking to the privates.
Nobody died, nobody was disabled and we grew up to be men--not the damn wussies the ffing libs/leftists idiots are grooming today!

Dad would have allowed even rougher stuff but we were poor and doctors aren't cheap!
I sent my brother to the doctor in a fight(lost my temper-lol)--got my ass whipped everyday for a week for that one. Was worth it in my mind--I was mean as hell back then but my dad knew he wanted all his sons tough--the world aint a gentle place he'd always say.. :laugh:--

Damn gunny , even we didnt try bb guns until we were much older and rule was leg shots(we wore two pair of pants) only.
Dad found out that month and beat all our asses --we stopped, but it was great fun while it lasted. Tyr

Gunny
10-26-2015, 10:03 AM
I grew up 2 blocks from the hospital because:

Dad: How did you get that arrow in your leg?

Dad: How did you get a machete sunk into your ankle like that?

Dad: How did you break your leg?

Dad: Doug has a broken leg and said; that you did it!
ME: After he broke my leg, shot me with an arrow, and plunged that machete into my ankle...I was done playing!

THAT ain't no sh*t, huh?

How'd you break your wrist?

Well I was climbing this tree and the branch broke. :laugh:

We just shrugged that sh*t off. Nowadays they'd be looking to sue the nursery the tree came from.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
THAT ain't no sh*t, huh?

How'd you break your wrist?

Well I was climbing this tree and the branch broke. :laugh:

We just shrugged that sh*t off. Nowadays they'd be looking to sue the nursery the tree came from.
Older brother deliberately shot me in the left buttock with an arrow, dad found out three days later,cautioned me not to play so rough with my older brother-- nobody punished.... o yea, Homer was his pet amongst the boys,
tis why I broke his nose at age 18.. :laugh:-TYR

Gunny
10-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Older brother deliberately shot me in the left buttock with an arrow, dad found out three days later,cautioned me not to play so rough with my older brother-- nobody punished.... o yea, Homer was his pet amongst the boys,
tis why I broke his nose at age 18.. :laugh:-TYR

But see, that's just normal shit to me. We used to wear our injuries around like a badge. Yeah I got a black eye, but I earned it. And I won. So who cares?

I just don't get the mentality nowadays. Yeah, I've been hit with a ball in the batter's box. Left handed pitchers can't pitch to left handed batters. Big deal. I wanted to play.

Elessar
10-26-2015, 03:10 PM
I don't know.. I like carrots.

Now, if she'd have thrown a lima bean, on the other hand....

Teachers deserve respect from their students. She deserves suspension at the most. But charging her with assault with a weapon? BS.

If that's the case, then the school is guilty of arming the entire student body with weaponized carrots.

Another case of zero common sense displayed by those adults that are supposed to teach it. No wonder kids are so fucked up these days.

That is all about as accurate as can be offered.

But in another thread I did state that "Common Sense is so rare these days, it should be considered a Super Power"...getting
to believe RESPECT is getting that way as well.