PDA

View Full Version : Could The 'Big One' Be Coming Soon?

Christie Brinkley
10-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Over 400 small mini quakes have shaken the area around San Francisco Bay over the past 2 weeks. Breaking the record set in 2003.

San Ramon, California, appears to have broken a new earthquake record over the last two weeks: A total of 408 small quakes have shaken the East Bay city, almost four times the record set in 2003 in half the amount of time.

Is the 'big one' near?

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that as of Oct. 13 (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72540765#general_summary), the Northern California Seismic Network had detected 408 earthquakes – at least a dozen since 10 p.m. on Monday, with other quakes spilling into the early hours of Tuesday. Most quakes have clocked in with magnitudes ranging from 2.0 to 3.0.
In an Oct. 14 interview (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Quake-Swarm-Strikes-San-Ramon-332634961.html), Senior U.S. Geological Survey research geologist David Schwartz said the swarm is not all that unusual, noting that San Ramon Valley is at the "center of earthquake swarm activity" in the Bay Area. He recalled a 2003 swarm of 120 earthquakes over 31 days (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72540765#general_summary) in San Ramon, with the largest clocking in at a magnitude of 4.2.

Read More (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/New-Record-408-Quakes-Strike-San-Ramon-in-Two-Weeks-USGS-337453261.html)

jimnyc
10-27-2015, 12:35 PM
I've been hearing for a few years now that they are overdue for the big one. It's scary, as there WILL be a lot of casualties. Like they said, it's not a matter of "if", but a matter of when.

Christie Brinkley
10-27-2015, 12:44 PM
I've been hearing for a few years now that they are overdue for the big one. It's scary, as there WILL be a lot of casualties. Like they said, it's not a matter of "if", but a matter of when.
I bet FEMA are licking their lips. Bet they will be doing the same type of things like they did after Katrina. That area is liberal jellyfish land so the death toll will be high when it happens.

jimnyc
10-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I bet FEMA are licking their lips. Bet they will be doing the same type of things like they did after Katrina. That area is liberal jellyfish land so the death toll will be high when it happens.

The only reason I ever really cared was because of my cousin that lived out there for so many years. He's now moved to Hawaii, so I really don't care if the place crumbles and floats away, with a few leading liberal politicians I can think of out there leading the way. :)

Christie Brinkley
10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
The only reason I ever really cared was because of my cousin that lived out there for so many years. He's now moved to Hawaii, so I really don't care if the place crumbles and floats away, with a few leading liberal politicians I can think of out there leading the way. :)
If it slips into the sea there would probably be a Tsunami?:rolleyes:;)

fj1200
10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Is the 'big one' near?

No.

Christie Brinkley
10-27-2015, 01:17 PM
No.
So there is not going to be a large earthquake in southern California?:rolleyes:

fj1200
10-27-2015, 01:19 PM
So there is not going to be a large earthquake in southern California?:rolleyes:

There will not be the 'big one.' Especially because they've had 400+ 'little ones.' At least not "coming soon." Happy to help.

Christie Brinkley
10-27-2015, 01:21 PM
There will not be the 'big one.' Especially because they've had 400+ 'little ones.' At least not "coming soon." Happy to help.
Thanks resident expert seismologist:laugh:

fj1200
10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks resident expert seismologist:laugh:

You're welcome. :)

gabosaurus
10-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Earthquakes are an inherent threat in California. Same as blizzards, Nor'easters, hurricanes and tornadoes are to other regions.

hjmick
10-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Oh hell, I lived there for better than 34 years and they were talking about "the big one any day now" the whole time.

Now I will say that living on top of the epicenter during the Northridge quake made for an exciting morning...

And just for the record, the epicenter was not actually in Northridge...

NightTrain
10-27-2015, 06:00 PM
My understanding is that when you've got a bunch of little quakes, they're relieving the pressure between the plates.

It's when those little ones stop and the energy builds up that you've got a monster quake about to unleash.

hjmick
10-27-2015, 06:06 PM
My understanding is that when you've got a bunch of little quakes, they're relieving the pressure between the plates.

It's when those little ones stop and the energy builds up that you've got a monster quake about to unleash.

They can also be a precursor to a larger quake...

jimnyc
10-27-2015, 06:14 PM
I just want to say, that now more than ever, I hope the plates collide with the most massive force ever and dump a few assholes into the Pacific.

WiccanLiberal
10-27-2015, 07:40 PM
The USGS is apparently not too concerned as these are all relatively small quakes and similar swarms have occurred in the area over the years without any serious consequence.

Christie Brinkley
10-28-2015, 07:05 AM

You can't know for sure if that is releasing a lot of the pressure, instead it could just be a precursor to a bigger release of pressure.

Christie Brinkley
10-28-2015, 07:06 AM
I just want to say, that now more than ever, I hope the plates collide with the most massive force ever and dump a few assholes into the Pacific.
Less Democrat voters then?:rolleyes: