PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTION: Alerts When Quoted

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Is it possible to be alerted when someone quotes your post please? It is becoming a bit annoying scrolling through threads to see who has quoted you and sometimes looks as if you are ignoring them.

Cheers.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to be alerted when someone quotes your post please? It is becoming a bit annoying scrolling through threads to see who has quoted you and sometimes looks as if you are ignoring them.

Cheers.

A lot simpler though.

Go into your profile and subscribe to the threads you are interested in. I've never done it but been assured that it works.

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 10:22 AM
A lot simpler though.

Go into your profile and subscribe to the threads you are interested in. I've never done it but been assured that it works.
Then it would alert you to someone just posting on it or quoting another person? Would it specifically alert you to someone quoting you?

Gunny
10-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Then it would alert you to someone just posting on it or quoting another person? Would it specifically alert you to someone quoting you?

No. It alerts you to the fact someone has posted in a thread you're interested in as long as you check it.

We all go through the same thing. I find threads I posted in buried in the pile WAY after someone responded because someone comes along and covers them up. I just go with it. As far as the option you are questioning, you would have to get an answer from Jim. He has access to the database. I don't. And it's been so long since I ran a board I don't really remember.

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 10:31 AM
No. It alerts you to the fact someone has posted in a thread you're interested in as long as you check it.

We all go through the same thing. I find threads I posted in buried in the pile WAY after someone responded because someone comes along and covers them up. I just go with it. As far as the option you are questioning, you would have to get an answer from Jim. He has access to the database. I don't. And it's been so long since I ran a board I don't really remember.
It is annoying to flick back through pages of posts especially if it is a highly talked about topic which has many posts to try and find posts where people have quoted you.

NightTrain
10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
When I have a response I want someone to read, I'll thank them on the post that I'm quoting to call their attention to it.

Perianne
10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
I have seen quote notification on other sites and it is a handy feature.

NightTrain
10-30-2015, 10:37 AM
I don't know if it's an option here with this setup, but I'll ask Jim about it.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
It is annoying to flick back through pages of posts especially if it is a highly talked about topic which has many posts to try and find posts where people have quoted you.

Someone with less patience than me. There's a novel idea. :laugh:

You can ALWAYS go to your own posts. I know that feature is here. Click on it and it takes you right to where you want to be.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Cheers.

Let me make sure I know what it is you guys would like...

1 - getting alerted simply when someone quotes a post of yours...

2 - or when someone types a person's name with the symbol in front of it, like - @gunny and then gunny would get a notification?

The problem I see is logging in and seeing 90 notifications.

Noir
10-30-2015, 10:59 AM
An adequate workaround is setting the number of posts per page as 40 (rather than the default 10) and going into the thread ctrl+F for Find and type in part of your username, then search back which will highlight all instances of your name being used (i.e. in quote boxes) from the bottom of the page.

No as quick as a notification (if they're possible) but much quicker than any other looking method.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Btw...

Top of board, along navigation bar, all the way to the right - you have my threads and my posts. That's how I go backwards if I want to find things I posted previously. I do understand though, that I still may miss folks responding to me this way...

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 11:01 AM
An adequate workaround is setting the number of posts per page as 40 (rather than the default 10) and going into the thread ctrl+F for Find and type in part of your username, then search back which will highlight all instances of your name being used (i.e. in quote boxes) from the bottom of the page.

No as quick as a notification (if they're possible) but much quicker than any other looking method.

Noir is giving good advice here. The amount of posts per page is actually 15 per default. If one wants, they can stretch this to however many posts they prefer per page. *40 max as he correctly points out...

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I've only found one thus far, and it appears you would get the alert via PM, if you turned the option on anyway. I'll keep looking. This sounds like what is wanted, but I don't know about the PM thing, I would rather it goes where the rep and thanks go...

---
Description: This plugin will add a "Quote Notification" option for users to select. If selected, your board users will receive a notification by PM whenever someone quotes them in a post.

More settings:

If you want to change the content of the PM that gets sent, the phrases are quotenotify_subject and quotenotify_message;
The email notification has a separate phrase, quotenotify_emailmessage;
If you want to change the Profile Field options, find the "Quote Notification" field in your User Profile Field Manager in the ACP;
If you're not sure exactly what you're doing, you better leave these alone.

Warning: DO NOT change the title of the Profile Field from "Quote Notification", or the values from "Private Message", "Email", and "No" or this hack will not work.

User settings:

Your forum users can set their Quote Notification preferences via User CP > General Settings > under Messaging & Notification.

Perianne
10-30-2015, 11:55 AM

2 - or when someone types a person's name with the symbol in front of it, like - @gunny and then gunny would get a notification?

Actually, I like both of them. I have used them on other forums and they work fine. If someone doesn't want to see 90 notifications, they can turn off the features.

If it requires a software update, I will pay for it.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Actually, I like both of them. I have used them on other forums and they work fine. If someone doesn't want to see 90 notifications, they can turn off the features.

If it requires a software update, I will pay for it.

I believe.... the quote one goes to PM, whereas the @sign way of doing it would send it to your notifications, like rep and thanks.

And while that's awesome that you volunteer to pay, I don't think either one of these add-ons are premium aka paid.

Perianne
10-30-2015, 12:06 PM
I believe.... the quote one goes to PM, whereas the @sign way of doing it would send it to your notifications, like rep and thanks.

And while that's awesome that you volunteer to pay, I don't think either one of these add-ons are premium aka paid.

I think you are right there. To me it enhances the software for those who want to use it. And again, if someone doesn't want to use it, you can turn if off with personal settings.

Jim, while I am not complaining about this site and how it works, I hope you will turn on those features.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I think you are right there. To me it enhances the software for those who want to use it. And again, if someone doesn't want to use it, you can turn if off with personal settings.

Jim, while I am not complaining about this site and how it works, I hope you will turn on those features.

It would still need an install of this add-on, not just turning it on, that's why I'm waiting to see what everyone is most interested in. :)

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Here is a rundown of what the @ add-on does...

-----
Advanced @User Tagging: What is it?

DragonByte Technologies is proud to present [DBTech] Advanced @User Tagging.

The @user Tagging mod is designed to increase activity on your forum by allowing members to mention each other in posts when talking about them.
This is done in a very easy way, very similar to how Twitter mentions people. We use @ ; as the tags, so for instance you could say:
----
This new mod from @Dragonbyte Tech; is pretty cool.
----
The “@DragonByte Tech;” Will become a link to the DragonByte Tech users profile, it will also inform DragonByte Tech they had been mentioned, and link to the relevant thread/post via a new area in the profile section, as well as a new tab in the shoutbox.

It also allows members to “tag” the thread for specific other members by inputting their usernames in the tag box above the posts of the thread.

This is a great way to increase your forum activity with no extra admin input required – people will start to mention posts/threads to their friends, which will increase the amount of posting. This is especially useful of forums which have an international contingent (so threads posted in during the night for some of your members don't go overlooked) or forums which have a lot of posts/threads each day – again to make sure that a post a person might want to read doesn't get lost in the crowd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like this mod please hit the button to the right ---->

Please remember to click the, button to the right if you installed the mod ---->

What does 'Marking As Installed' do ?

* It helps you to stay on top of updates - members who have installed modifications will be notified by us whenever new updates are available.

* For security issues - vbulletin.org will contact all members who have installed a modification whenever a security issue is brought to their attention.

* Marking a modification as installed also helps us know how many people are using our work, giving us extra incentive to provide more features and new modifications.

We appreciate the support!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Priority support & Product Demos available at: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/forum.php

Translations available @ our website
Support for translations handled by the translator in its respective threads only.

Major Features
Twitter-style @ "Mentions": Typing @username produces a "Mention" that will alert the user to your post, as well as link to their profile.

Quote Alerts: Members you quote will be alerted, ensuring that discussions can continue smoothly even if they left the thread.

Profile Integration: Displays Mentions, Tags and Quotes in profile tabs for quick overview of a member's activities within the mod.

Complete Feature List
Lite

Emails:

Email alerts for all features
Globally disable emails for any of the features

General Features:

Ability to disable Thread Tag list entirely for guests
Globally disable any of the features

General:

Statistics Page: Top X Thread Tagged, Top X Mentioned (Lite locked to Top 5)
"Mention" alerts: Type @username to mention someone, and link to their profile. Email & forum notification
Quote alerts: Email & forum notification
Tag an user in a thread to alert them to the thread via a box above threads
View list of tagged users above threads, with link to see all tags
Profile Tabs: Lists both incoming and outgoing mentions, quotes and thread tags
Shoutbox Integration: New Shoutbox Tab to list incoming mentions & tags
Control how many users to display in inline tag list
Turn statistics page on & off
Control BBCode for mentioned usernames (Underline only)
Control [DBTech] vBShout integration
Turn features on & off per category
Globally disable email alerts
Ability to set maximum mentions per post (default: unlimited)

Pro

Hash Tags:
One-click (un)subscribe to hash tags via the post list page
Clicking a hashtag shows all posts tagged with that word.
(vB4) Forum Sidebar widget with Recent and Trending hash tags
Control number of Recent / Trending hash tags
Control time span for Recent / Trending hash tags (x Hours/Days/Weeks)
Control stat weights given to individual users using the hash tag, and number of uses in total (for the Trending score)
Control display of number of users, number of uses and trending score
Deny usergroups access to sidebar block
Emails:
Per-user email disable for any of the 4 features
General Features:
Ability to Mention and Thread Tag whole usergroups by typing their name. Per-UG permission to disable Mentions / Thread Tags for this UG.
General:
Ability to tag all your friends by checking a checkbox instead of typing out usernames
Ability to tag and mention all usergroups by typing out the usergroup name, permissions control what UGs can be mentioned and tagged
Turn off alerts from everyone except friends
Hide forum notifications for individual features
Turn off email alerts for individual features
Hash tags, Twitter-style, add a topic to your post, sends notification to subscribed users
(vB4) Forum Sidebar block with Recent & Trending hash tags
(vB4) Works with the Mobile Style (4.1.12+)
Turn tag list off
Control number of users displayed on Top X Stats
Hide "@" on mentions
Additional BBCode (Bold, Italic, Highlight) for mentions
Exclude usergroups from features
Exclude users from features

This mod displays a copyright notification in the footer of pages generated by this mod which includes:

1 Link to DragonByte Technologies homepage
1 Link to Product Description page of this modification
1 Link to Hivelocity Hosting (Lite version only, removable via a vBulletin Option)

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 12:20 PM
^^^ Keep in mind, the pro settings above we will not have, as that's the part that would be "paid". Do we see anything in the Pro section that is a MUST have?

Perianne
10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't really understand what the pro settings do. I just know that the ones we talked about are a definite plus. And the great thing, again, if someone doesn't like them they can turn off the notifications. But I think everyone will like it.

I'm kinda excited about it, but then again I am blonde and easy to please.

Perianne
10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't really understand what the pro settings do. I just know that the ones we talked about are a definite plus. And the great thing, again, if someone doesn't like them they can turn off the notifications. But I think everyone will like it.

I'm kinda excited about it, but then again I am blonde and easy to please.

Oh, and thanks again Jim for considering it. And thanks to CB for suggesting it.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 12:30 PM

Ain't a "you guys". I asked if we had the @ feature is all. This Christie's doing and not my fault this time. :laugh: She asked a question and I tried to answer is all.

To me, if a conversation is important, I remember it. If it's a good enough string, it'll be in the Top Ten. I usually only go fishing in the dark around 2-4 AM. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Ain't a "you guys". I asked if we had the @ feature is all. This Christie's doing and not my fault this time. :laugh: She asked a question and I tried to answer is all.

To me, if a conversation is important, I remember it. If it's a good enough string, it'll be in the Top Ten. I usually only go fishing in the dark around 2-4 AM. :laugh:

Installed!! It's up to all of us to figure out how to use...

It should get notifications for "mentions" - tagging (at the top of every OP), and quotes too. So Gunny, you should see one for the @ thing here, as well as I tagged you!

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Could be wrong, but can't find anything in the USERcp to turn this off at the user level. :(

Notice when you post, in the editor box above, you have the new blue looking CD thing, that is for mentions. Perianne

Noir
10-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Could be wrong, but can't find anything in the USERcp to turn this off at the user level. :(

Notice when you post, in the editor box above, you have the new blue looking CD thing, that is for mentions. @Perianne (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2722)

Ace.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Notice when you post, in the editor box above, you have the new blue looking CD thing, that is for mentions. @Perianne (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2722)

Yeah, well you need to f-ing find it. That crap's annoying as Hell to me.

And you BEST figure out how to restrict individuals. Can you imagine Jeff getting his hands on this? Geez ...

Perianne
10-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah, well you need to f-ing find it. That crap's annoying as Hell to me.

And you BEST figure out how to restrict individuals. Can you imagine Jeff getting his hands on this? Geez ...
Gunny, you will use it and you will like it. :)

Perianne
10-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Thank you, Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perianne
10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh, just to let everyone know....

When you do the @ thingy, and you look at your post after you posted it, the person's name will be in blue. If you misspell it, the person's name will not be in blue, so you need to fix it. Or not. Like this:

Misspelled:
@Perriannne

Correct
@Perianne

WiccanLiberal
10-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Seems it's already working. I just clicked on my notifications and it told me I was quoted.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Problem is, users that don't like it - I can't find a way to disable it. That's a deal breaker. :(

I will look into this in a bit, seems you need to Pro version in order to disable on the user level.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 01:14 PM
And they want $80 for the Pro - not worth it, no matter who pays, IMO. We'll leave it for now for trial, but that's my 2 cents. http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/purchase/20-advanced-user-tagging/

Gunny
10-30-2015, 01:14 PM
@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30), you will use it and you will like it. :)

Yeah. NO. I don't want to have conversations in my profile page. I don't mind the @ thing because I have used it to have fun. The rest of that junk needs out of MY box. I have no problem with anyone that wants it, but we should be able to turn it off. I like crusin' around in my flip flops.

Perianne
10-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Problem is, users that don't like it - I can't find a way to disable it. That's a deal breaker. :(

I will look into this in a bit, seems you need to Pro version in order to disable on the user level.

But you know someone is not going to like whatever you do. Please give it some time.... like a month to let people get used to it. Like I said, I will pay for the upgrade if you have to do that.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 01:18 PM

And they want $80 for the Pro - not worth it, no matter who pays, IMO. We'll leave it for now for trial, but that's my 2 cents. http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/purchase/20-advanced-user-tagging/

You are SO fired. You DON'T use weapons you can't disassemble. SO I'm going to have all this rat crap on my profile page forever? :bang3:

Perianne
10-30-2015, 01:20 PM
You are SO fired. You DON'T use weapons you can't disassemble. SO I'm going to have all this rat crap on my profile page forever? :bang3:

Okay, jimnyc. If people dislike it that much, then I vote to remove it. :(

Gunny
10-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Okay, @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1). If people dislike it that much, then I vote to remove it. :(

Hold your roll, sister. I'm a Marine. I can b*tch about the sun coming up. I'm also fair. The board doesn't revolve around ME. If people like it, I'll just deal.

I'm giving Jim crap just because he's still breathing. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm looking into how I can adjust this thing... But this is what I don't like, so far... And this was only like 5 mins...

http://i.imgur.com/5Kgaxpr.jpg

Gunny
10-30-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm looking into how I can adjust this thing... But this is what I don't like, so far... And this was only like 5 mins...

http://i.imgur.com/5Kgaxpr.jpg

Yeah, that's kind of what I saw. There's a different way, I just don't remember what it is. You don't have to have all the options. I DO remember THAT. You can shut one or more down. You know the old say: Use it or lose it. I haven't been in a database in 5 years.

You could always just have a poll and see who is for and who is against and let it decide the answer.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2015, 01:53 PM

I'm with you- I have no trouble with it the way it is. I prefer not to get more PM's, and I'd rather not clutter my notifications with it, so I guess I will have to turn it off if enabled.

Gunny
10-30-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm with you- I have no trouble with it the way it is. I prefer not to get more PM's, and I'd rather not clutter my notifications with it, so I guess I will have to turn it off if enabled.

That's just the problem. You can't turn it off at the individual level. And I'm trying to remember how this works. I still think thread subscription works. You can do that at the individual level in your user options. IIRC, it shows up the same as the rest of this stuff has. User options give the user a LOT of devices to tailor what they want to see. They just have to take the time to figure them out. I don't know them off the top of my head because I have never used them.

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Is it possible for both? jimnyc and quoting?

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 02:18 PM
The thread tags don't direct you to where the post is it just directs you to post 1

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Is it possible for both? @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1) and quoting?

@christie brinkley

Ok, I tagged you at the beginning of the thread, mentioned you & quoted you. I think that's too much personally... I disabled the tagging, and disabled the quoting - so you should only get one notification, and that's because I mentioned you.... let me know....

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 02:20 PM
mention - Christie Brinkley

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
The mentions only should be enabled right now, while the tagging and quoting notifications are disabled. Let's try just this one for now.

jimnyc
10-30-2015, 02:23 PM
This 'idea' may be good, and I'll look around further of course - but this particular one sucks. Look at the very bottom of the board, you'll notice that the copyrights are all shifted to the left. I'm looking to figure out how to fix, but the writer of the code states it's because of the style, being it's not the original.

Christie Brinkley
10-30-2015, 02:23 PM
The mentions only should be enabled right now, while the tagging and quoting notifications are disabled. Let's try just this one for now.
Yes the mentions worked, cheers;)

Gunny
11-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Probably the same as our phones. They don't ask anymore. My phone changes crap, like it or not. I'm suspecting my latest upgrade is doing the same since I look at my posts and say WTF? I never typed that. I think I'm getting auto-correct on my damned software now. And they no longer give you the option to turn it off.

Perianne
11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Probably the same as our phones. They don't ask anymore. My phone changes crap, like it or not. I'm suspecting my latest upgrade is doing the same since I look at my posts and say WTF? I never typed that. I think I'm getting auto-correct on my damned software now. And they no longer give you the option to turn it off.

So THAT is why you use such excellent grammar!!! :)

Gunny
11-04-2015, 12:26 PM
So THAT is why you use such excellent grammar!!! :)

Missy, MY grammar is better than this computer's. You can bet on that.

Perianne
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Missy, MY grammar is better than this computer's. You can bet on that.

Isn't it you who keeps messing up "they're", "there", and "their"? Or is it someone else? As in:

"The Muslims are taking they're goat over their so they can get there enjoyment from it".

Hahaha. I am sooo funny sometimes.

Gunny
11-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Isn't it you who keeps messing up "they're", "there", and "their"? Or is it someone else? As in:

"The Muslims are taking they're goat over their so they can get there enjoyment from it".

Hahaha. I am sooo funny sometimes.

Nope. Thar would be fj1200.

And I just tease him. I'm not a word NAZI. Look at how Jeff and Jim and I talk to each other. It's called "boys playing". The secret is clear to those that can see .... I know he can take it and he knows I can take what I dish out. You don't see any of us screwing with people we know can't handle it.

FJ bothers some people here. Doesn't bother me.

Black Diamond
11-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Nope. Thar would be fj1200.

And I just tease him. I'm not a word NAZI. Look at how Jeff and Jim and I talk to each other. It's called "boys playing". The secret is clear to those that can see .... I know he can take it and he knows I can take what I dish out. You don't see any of us screwing with people we know can't handle it.

FJ bothers some people here. Doesn't bother me.

I think the deal with fj is this: he's what most would consider a moderate Republican. I and most others here are what most would consider far right. He also controls his anger better than most. Mother f....

Gunny
11-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I think the deal with fj is this: he's what most would consider a moderate Republican. I and most others here are what most would consider far right. He also controls his anger better than most. Mother f....

I don't label people that actually think for themselves. All of this about labels. And labels have been everchanging. Lincoln was the first Republican President. Which side of the aisle was he on?

I like people for who they are. Simple as that. I look at what they say. I've agreed and disagreed with probably everyone on this board. So has FJ. Y'all don't see us for what we are. We look through the bullshit on both sides. Even when I disagree with him I can appreciate THAT,

He'd argue with a stick if he thought it'd argue back. But through the smokescreen he's as conservative any of us.

Black Diamond
11-04-2015, 02:01 PM
I don't label people that actually think for themselves. All of this about labels. And labels have been everchanging. Lincoln was the first Republican President. Which side of the aisle was he on?

I like people for who they are. Simple as that. I look at what they say. I've agreed and disagreed with probably everyone on this board. So has FJ. Y'all don't see us for what we are. We look through the bullshit on both sides. Even when I disagree with him I can appreciate THAT,

He'd argue with a stick if he thought it'd argue back. But through the smokescreen he's as conservative any of us.
Do you think he is left or right of you and me? And I get along with fj btw.

Gunny
11-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Do you think he is left or right of you and me? And I get along with fj btw.

I have no idea. U'd label FJ an independent Constitutionalist. And a contrarian and a geek. He processes info and argue both sides. I resemble that. Not a problem to me.

fj1200
11-04-2015, 02:38 PM
@fj1200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=728).

The interwebs solution to my ears are burning. You guys are sweet.

Black Diamond
11-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Don't tell anyone, you fuck. You will ruin our reputation

Gunny
11-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Nah. I just don't like labels nor misuse of words. If you look, it's a theme with me. I have no idea who FJ is. Don't care. And I've had some hellacious arguments with him. But when they're over, we just walk away. Jeff and I tease each other mercilessly. We take it for what it is.

You got an argument I feel like being part of I'm in. So are these guys. But I'd say at least on my part I'm too old, burned out and just don't give a f*ck enough to take this crap personally. If I react over the top in a moment, that's exactly what it is. A moment.

If you look, I get all up Gabby's backside and I really have no problem with her. Her politics? Yes. Her as a person? Nah. She's just who she is. If she can piss off one of us off it's a good day for her.

I understand FJ because I have the same personality. I can take the leftwing side of the argument and kick your ass just to be arguing.

Gunny
11-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Don't tell anyone, you fuck. You will ruin our reputation

He likes doing that shit. :laugh:

fj1200
11-04-2015, 03:43 PM
He likes doing that shit. :laugh:

Zing!

Drummond
11-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Hah ! I'm pretty much sure that my opinion of FJ is well known on this board.

But he specialises in trying to convince people he's something he's NOT .. like, a 'Thatcherite' (.. even, 'The One True Thatcherite'), even though he has serious disagreement with at least one feature of the kind of politician she was.

You folks choose what you want to believe, of course. The intended, striven-for image .. or, the reality.

Me, I get some of FJ's most vitriolic responses, because he knows I see through him. He cannot convince me he's something he's not, so in my case, he doesn't try.

aboutime
11-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Anyone who is so uninformed to still use the word "Interweb" rather than Internet, probably doesn't want the rest of us to know who the real SWEETIE is here. But you ruined it all by yourself FJ (for "F'ing Joke"):laugh:

fj1200
11-05-2015, 01:36 PM
... so in my case, he doesn't try.

Your imagination is to set to let in any new thoughts. You're living in the past.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Hah ! I'm pretty much sure that my opinion of FJ is well known on this board.

But he specialises in trying to convince people he's something he's NOT .. like, a 'Thatcherite' (.. even, 'The One True Thatcherite'), even though he has serious disagreement with at least one feature of the kind of politician she was.

You folks choose what you want to believe, of course. The intended, striven-for image .. or, the reality.

Me, I get some of FJ's most vitriolic responses, because he knows I see through him. He cannot convince me he's something he's not, so in my case, he doesn't try.

The point is, you don't take FJ for who and what he is. He's probably about as much "Thatcherite" as I am. I know she sent to Fleet to the Falklands and whooped some Argentinian ass and she and Reagan were friends. Otherwise, you need to look at some facts.

I don't know what you, AT and tyr have against the guy, but I can tell you THIS: EVERY time he gets under one of y'all's skins, he's getting what he wants and y'all just flail around calling him names. Which is what he wants. If he's your enemy, WHY give the enemy HIS way? I dictate my battles and where and how I fight them. I might fall into the soup on a message board every once in awhile, but you can rest assured in real life, I'm a machine.

Since I've come back to this board I've watched him lead y'all around like an orchestra director. And he's done it masterfully, Try looking past the words and seeing the intent. He's not actually a bad guy and he's not unintelligent. He's a little bastard when stirring up shit and antagonism comes into play.

Tsun Tzu: Know your enemy.

fj1200
11-05-2015, 01:57 PM
He's not actually a bad guy and he's not unintelligent.

:dance:

He's a little bastard...

:martian:

I'm so conflicted.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 02:03 PM
:dance:

:martian:

I'm so conflicted.

You're selling THAT one in the wrong place. :slap:

aboutime
11-05-2015, 05:08 PM
The point is, you don't take FJ for who and what he is. He's probably about as much "Thatcherite" as I am. I know she sent to Fleet to the Falklands and whooped some Argentinian ass and she and Reagan were friends. Otherwise, you need to look at some facts.

I don't know what you, AT and tyr have against the guy, but I can tell you THIS: EVERY time he gets under one of y'all's skins, he's getting what he wants and y'all just flail around calling him names. Which is what he wants. If he's your enemy, WHY give the enemy HIS way? I dictate my battles and where and how I fight them. I might fall into the soup on a message board every once in awhile, but you can rest assured in real life, I'm a machine.

Since I've come back to this board I've watched him lead y'all around like an orchestra director. And he's done it masterfully, Try looking past the words and seeing the intent. He's not actually a bad guy and he's not unintelligent. He's a little bastard when stirring up shit and antagonism comes into play.

Tsun Tzu: Know your enemy.

Right you are Gunny. FJ is just like you. Thinking you have the power to lead us around as well. Too bad for all concerned.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Right you are Gunny. FJ is just like you. Thinking you have the power to lead us around as well. Too bad for all concerned.

I think no such thing. I just don't don't misjudge others without engaging my intelligence first.