PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory Voting

Perianne
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
A leftist's argument for compulsory voting. What do you say, yea or nay?

Not enough people vote. It’s a perennial source of concern in American politics. There’s no shortage of reforms designed to address the problem, but one idea that seems particularly promising, at least in theory, is compulsory voting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/a-feasible-roadmap-to-compulsory-voting/413422/#article-comments

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Does none of the above count as voting?

Perianne
11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Does none of the above count as voting?

According to the link, yes, it does. The leftists simply want to require everyone to appear at the balloting station. You can even turn in a blank ticket.

According to the author, why compulsory voting is good is because,

Partly because higher participation is itself a democratic good. But also for the sake of partisan advantage. Registered non-voters lean substantially more Democratic than registered voters. If they were required to go to the polls, election outcomes would shift markedly to the left.

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 01:26 PM
According to the link, yes, it does. The leftists simply want to require everyone to appear at the balloting station. You can even turn in a blank ticket.

According to the author, why compulsory voting is good is because,

Partly because higher participation is itself a democratic good. But also for the sake of partisan advantage. Registered non-voters lean substantially more Democratic than registered voters. If they were required to go to the polls, election outcomes would shift markedly to the left.
I still don't understand why none of the above has not taken off in the states?

Noir
11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
To my knowledge this is what they do in Australia. Seems like a decent system, you can always chose to spoil your ballot if you want etc.

The only problem really comes with 'how are you going to punish non-voters' which could be pretty contentious.

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 01:32 PM
To my knowledge this is what they do in Australia. Seems like a decent system, you can always chose to spoil your ballot if you want etc.

The only problem really comes with 'how are you going to punish non-voters' which could be pretty contentious.
Politically correct gulags I mean fun camps?:rolleyes:

Trigg
11-03-2015, 03:33 PM
horrible idea.

There are too many uninformed people who are to lazy to follow what politicians stand for. The last thing I want is all of them being made to vote.

No thanks, stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKosd0xJadE

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 03:42 PM
horrible idea.

There are too many uninformed people who are to lazy to follow what politicians stand for. The last thing I want is all of them being made to vote.

No thanks, stay home.

1st woman is Gabby from this forum. Jeeez you know it is California.

Elessar
11-03-2015, 05:28 PM
What many people neglect to think about, is that refusing to vote
just because you do not like....ummm..presidential candidates, for example,
does not mean you should not neglect other things on a ballot.

That just shows ignorance.

I held my nose voting for Al Gore...and after his vein-popping behavior
I regretted putting in a vote for him. He would have pee'ed his
pants at 9/11 if he had made it.

You do not have to mark every block. Yet the same folks often cry
that things do not go their way with government. Tough shit...

Bilgerat
11-03-2015, 06:37 PM
We could always vote "present"

After all, that's what El Jefe did 129 times :thumb:

WiccanLiberal
11-03-2015, 08:09 PM
What many people neglect to think about, is that refusing to vote
just because you do not like....ummm..presidential candidates, for example,
does not mean you should not neglect other things on a ballot.

That just shows ignorance.

I held my nose voting for Al Gore...and after his vein-popping behavior
I regretted putting in a vote for him. He would have pee'ed his
pants at 9/11 if he had made it.

You do not have to mark every block. Yet the same folks often cry
that things do not go their way with government. Tough shit...

Voting is a privilege but also an obligation. We have been given our freedom by those who founded and defended this country. I firmly believe we should all vote. That said, I find the idea of compulsory voting leaves a bad taste. Choosing not to exercise our franchise may also be a way of expressing our political will. I have voted every year since I was eligible. I am proud of that although I have sometimes regretted my choices and I have also, at times, elected NOT to make a choice in a given political contest. Even when I don't particularly care, I make the effort to find at least a few local races that matter in some way. That is certainly the case this year. This is my first time voting in this location. I made it a point to look up the local contests last week and investigate the candidates. And I gave my selections the the consideration I always do.

Black Diamond
11-03-2015, 08:11 PM
It does make that "If someone were to hold a gun to your head and said pick one" scenario a bit more real.

Russ
11-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Sorry, Noir, but I could not disagree more. Compulsory voting could never be a decent system. People who don't care enough to vote are doing us a favor when their votes aren't used - because they aren't nullifying the votes of involved citizens with their own ill-considered, spurious, and often randomly-selected votes. Are we a better nation if we get 99% voter turnout? No, we're not, because voter turnouts above 65% generally include some really lousy voters that don't give a dam about our country.

I don't understand the obsessed attempts by liberals to get 100% voter turnout. Oh wait, I get it, they think that people who don't vote on their own would vote overwhelmingly Democratic if they were forced or paid to vote. Or if it was made absurdly easy, like postage-paid absentee ballots shoved it their hands at the DMV (possibly with Hillary's name pre-printed on it). Its not about participation, it's about winning the election for Democrats at any cost. Now it makes sense.

Btw, I know a country that gets 100% voter participation - North Korea. Is it a good thing if we become more like them?

Noir
11-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Sorry, Noir, but I could not disagree more. Compulsory voting could never be a decent system. People who don't care enough to vote are doing us a favor when their votes aren't used - because they aren't nullifying the votes of involved citizens with their own ill-considered, spurious, and often randomly-selected votes. Are we a better nation if we get 99% voter turnout? No, we're not, because voter turnouts above 65% generally include some really lousy voters that don't give a dam about our country. I don't understand the obsessed attempts by liberals to get 100% voter turnout. Oh wait, I get it, they think that people who don't vote on their own would vote overwhelmingly Democratic if they were forced or paid to vote. Or if it was made absurdly easy, like postage-paid absentee ballots shoved it their hands at the DMV (possibly with Hillary's name pre-printed on it). Its not about participation, it's about winning the election for Democrats at any cost. Now it makes sense. Btw, I know a country that gets 100% voter participation - North Korea. Is it a good thing if we become more like them?

Some civic duties are just that, duties, and should probably be treated as such. And much as you may find it distasteful, your vote is worth no more or less than the most or least politically engaged.

As for North Korea, silly argument is silly. By way of an example - if i have it right you believe that that a gay marriage should not be recognised, just like North Korea, is it a good thing to be more like them?

reason10
11-17-2015, 12:15 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/a-feasible-roadmap-to-compulsory-voting/413422/#article-comments

Leftists vote several times anyway. And they advocate illegal aliens voting as well.

I've got a better idea. You vote if you pay taxes. If you don't pay taxes, you don't vote. And if you pay a certain amount, or maybe an amount OVER a certain amount, you get more than one vote.

Enforce that and Democrats will be out of power forever. Nobody with a job is stupid enough to vote Democrat.

PixieStix
11-17-2015, 12:40 AM
horrible idea.

No thanks, stay home.

OMG. God in Heaven, help us!

LongTermGuy
11-17-2015, 12:49 AM
horrible idea.

No thanks, stay home.

.....I don't feel many of them Dont understand what it really is or means...which is `obvious` in the video...

Thanks for the share...going to bed....I hope I don't have nightmares.....

....Yes.."God help us"

*But...I have a good feeling he will.....:)

country
11-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Voting is a privilege but also an obligation. We have been given our freedom by those who founded and defended this country. I firmly believe we should all vote. That said, I find the idea of compulsory voting leaves a bad taste. Choosing not to exercise our franchise may also be a way of expressing our political will. I have voted every year since I was eligible. I am proud of that although I have sometimes regretted my choices and I have also, at times, elected NOT to make a choice in a given political contest. Even when I don't particularly care, I make the effort to find at least a few local races that matter in some way. That is certainly the case this year. This is my first time voting in this location. I made it a point to look up the local contests last week and investigate the candidates. And I gave my selections the the consideration I always do.

Voting is an obligation?? I would think learning the issues and candidates should be an obligation before casting a vote.Too many people, especially young dancing with the stars crowd and college students who don't make an effort to watch the news or read a paper, vote for a personality or single issue. I would prefer these voters educate themselves before voting.

gabosaurus
11-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Countries that have compulsory voting often have mandated choices as well.

reason10
11-18-2015, 02:56 PM

Strange thing, coming from the left. Seems like they'd be happy with fewer people actually voting. It wouldn't affect their numbers in the slightest. They are content to stuff ballot boxes with votes from illegal aliens and dead people.

Gunny
11-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Sorry, Noir, but I could not disagree more. Compulsory voting could never be a decent system. People who don't care enough to vote are doing us a favor when their votes aren't used - because they aren't nullifying the votes of involved citizens with their own ill-considered, spurious, and often randomly-selected votes. Are we a better nation if we get 99% voter turnout? No, we're not, because voter turnouts above 65% generally include some really lousy voters that don't give a dam about our country.

I don't understand the obsessed attempts by liberals to get 100% voter turnout. Oh wait, I get it, they think that people who don't vote on their own would vote overwhelmingly Democratic if they were forced or paid to vote. Or if it was made absurdly easy, like postage-paid absentee ballots shoved it their hands at the DMV (possibly with Hillary's name pre-printed on it). Its not about participation, it's about winning the election for Democrats at any cost. Now it makes sense.

Btw, I know a country that gets 100% voter participation - North Korea. Is it a good thing if we become more like them?

I agree, but where do we stop the bleeding?