PDA

View Full Version : Other Language?

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Do any of you know how to speak another language?

Gunny
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Do any of you know how to speak another language?

Yes.

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Yes.
Mind telling us? I am sure you guys just like to be awkward;)

Gunny
11-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Mind telling us? I am sure you guys just like to be awkward;)

I'm from South Texas. Just which other language you want to take a guess at that I speak? I understand Spanish very well. Awkward at speaking it because they talk too fast. I have to translate in my head then reply.

Know a little Japanese.

Was trying to learn Greek but we got reassigned too soon.

Gunny
11-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Also speak a bit of YOUR language.

When you say "Get out the torch from the boot and check under the bonnet" that means get the flashlight from the trunk and check under the hood here. :)

Perianne
11-03-2015, 01:53 PM
I took Spanish in high school and again in college, and yet again in later college. I understand a lot of what is said if they are not speaking too rapidly. I understand enough and can speak enough to be able to barely communicate.

Noir
11-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I can follow the basics of French but that's about it, English presents enough problems as it is without branching out to butcher other languages.

Gunny
11-03-2015, 02:05 PM
I can follow the basics of French but that's about it, English presents enough problems as it is without branching out to butcher other languages.

Always the negativity from you. Try learning something. It works like a charm. Do I sound like a Brit to you? But I know what YOU are talking about. And I damned sure ain't no Spaniard. And BTW, learning French is about as hard as learning Spanish. Took a year of that one too. Same rules apply. Just different syntax.

Try learning some Chinese, Pick your favorite dialect and translation of the symbols.

Christie Brinkley
11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Without causing a cyber brawl:rolleyes:

I have committed myself to learning Russian.

Perianne
11-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Always the negativity from you. Try learning something. It works like a charm. Do I sound like a Brit to you? But I know what YOU are talking about. And I damned sure ain't no Spaniard. And BTW, learning French is about as hard as learning Spanish. Took a year of that one too. Same rules apply. Just different syntax.

Try learning some Chinese, Pick your favorite dialect and translation of the symbols.

I found French to be more difficult than Spanish. Everyone is different I guess.

Gunny
11-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Yeah? You learn to spell it you got MY respect. People are too hung up on titles and let their politics dictate. I wish I;d got to to stay on Crete longer. My teacher at the time was half Greek half American and she was teaching me Greek. Mostly so my :hyper: butt wasn't disrupting class. :laugh:

Elessar
11-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Some French but out of practice. I had a dear friend that immigrated (legally) from Paris.
She helped me more with it. The most elegant lady I have ever known.

Before that, used it with dealing with French-Canadians when I worked waterfronts during the
summers in south New Jersey. A bit of a different dialect for them.

Otherwise, I am quite fluent in Typonese!:laugh:

Noir
11-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Negative maybe, but such is life - my brain just isn't wired for languages.

Gunny
11-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Negative maybe, but such is life - my brain just isn't wired for languages.

If your brain isn't wired for languages then you don't really need to make a comment. Do you? You don't have to talk just to feel your tongue rattle against the roof of your mouth. Do you see ME in the cooking, poetry or otherwise I wouldn't know WTF I was talking about threads? NO. Only by accident.

This isn't a brag thing for me. I've had to assimilate into other cultures and languages throughout my life. I LOVED living in Iraklion. I used to tool my little rear end down the cobblestone streets to the market because I was the only one in my family that could talk to the Greeks. They made THE best bread EVER. My mom was lucky that stuff ever made it home.:laugh:

Noir
11-04-2015, 10:29 AM
If your brain isn't wired for languages then you don't really need to make a comment. Do you? You don't have to talk just to feel your tongue rattle against the roof of your mouth. Do you see ME in the cooking, poetry or otherwise I wouldn't know WTF I was talking about threads? NO. Only by accident.

Mamma mia, and you thought i was being negative! xD
I commented because i can follow french as mentioned (:

Gunny
11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Mamma mia, and you thought i was being negative! xD
I commented because i can follow french as mentioned (:

You ARE being negative. You're in a thread you don't belong in. You just had to run your mouth. Some of us speak more languages than one.

Want some negativity? What I've seen from you is you stand for absolutely nothing. All you do is put down what others DO stand for. Simple thread, simple question. Your response should have just been "no", IF you even had one.

Now, why don't you stop doing your best to derail a thread that apparently, by self-admission has NOTHING to do with you.

Black Diamond
11-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Why doesn't that surprise me? :laugh:

Seriously, CB. I think that's great. Especially given it's a different alphabet. I think learning languages challenges the brain in a good way.

jimnyc
11-04-2015, 11:00 AM
English of course. Spanish my seconds best. Chinese. Italian. A little Thai and a little Greek...

Perianne
11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
How many of you can speak Appalachian hill talk?

Gunny
11-04-2015, 11:33 AM

I can. Paternal half is from Southern TN and Northern AL. Not that there are any 'shiners in MY blood. But you don't have to buy when you're in the holler in MY neck of the woods.:laugh:

Elessar
11-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Raises his hand.

Grew up in West Virginia!

Abbey Marie
11-04-2015, 09:50 PM

My daughter minored in Russian in college, and it looks like a bear to learn (pun intended).

Abbey Marie
11-04-2015, 09:50 PM
I speak Bronx. :coffee:

gabosaurus
11-04-2015, 10:51 PM
I speak smatterings of Spanish and German. My daughter knows more Spanish and German than I do. Plus a bit of Farsi.

My sister, on the other hand, is fluent in Spanish, German and French.