PDA

View Full Version : Family hires attorney after girl receives detention for hugging classmate

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 04:55 AM
Mixed emotions here. 1) Stupid reason to give someone attention 2) they have been enforcing 'no touch' between girls/boys for a long, long time. And then some get 'sue happy.

It sucks, but I don't think they should win, IMO. What happens the next time a kid is punished for chewing gum in class? Passing a note around? If either get detention for such lame reasons - sue?

-----

OVIEDO, Fla. -

The family of a girl who was given detention for hugging a classmate has hired an attorney.

In a press release from the attorney's office, Morgan & Morgan, Matt Morgan said the law firm was hired to help raise awareness.

The incident happened Monday at Jackson Heights Middle School in Oviedo.

"I'm definitely hoping that we're bringing light to this subject," said Kathy Fishbough, whose daughter, Ella, was issued the detention. "I really didn't expect this."

Morgan said he believes there may be policies in place that discourage children from being kind to one another.

"According to these alleged policies and procedures, a simple hug given to a friend in their time of need is apparently worthy of reprimand," the law office said in a statement. "We believe this conduct sends the wrong message to our children. They should be encouraged to be kind, not discouraged. The family hopes to bring awareness to this issue in an attempt to make our school systems a more compassionate and loving place for children to spend their days."

Since News 6's story aired, the girl said they've been bombarded with interview requests from national media.

For the first time, on Wednesday, News 6 heard from the Seminole County School District. Representative Michael Lawrence said that while the district has been criticized for banning hugs, the real issue is how far students can go in showing affection.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/family-hires-attorney-after-girl-receives-detention-for-hugging-classmate/36265886

indago
11-05-2015, 05:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 05:59 AM
"Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone"

Hey, parents, teach your kids the rules - that have been around since forever.

Sure, it's a fairly dumb rule. As are the passing notes and other things I've always mentioned. But we might as well toss ALL rules if we're going to individually toss them out when things happen we don't like. I got detention a few times in like 2nd and 3rd grade, just for running!!

Gunny
11-05-2015, 12:06 PM
:wtf:

I wonder how many of y'all realize we live in as much if not more a police state than NAZI Germany was .....

Perianne
11-05-2015, 12:10 PM
We should take all the school uppity-ups, tie them to a tree, and wear out a whip on them.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 12:19 PM
We should take all the school uppity-ups, tie them to a tree, and wear out a whip on them.

Just the black ones. :laugh2:

LongTermGuy
11-06-2015, 11:42 PM

Only the white dedicated deceitful Liberals "manipulating" all... and controlling things

gabosaurus
11-07-2015, 12:00 AM
That would not fly in our schools. Girls in particular are very demonstrative in their formative years. They hug each other in the same manner that guys high five or exchange fist bumps.
Some kids do not enjoy that sort of personal interaction. We advise them to make their feelings known to others.
There are a lot of Christian schools that prohibit any type of body contact, particular between the two genders. The "leave room for Jesus" thing.

Gunny
11-07-2015, 09:24 AM
That would not fly in our schools. Girls in particular are very demonstrative in their formative years. They hug each other in the same manner that guys high five or exchange fist bumps.
Some kids do not enjoy that sort of personal interaction. We advise them to make their feelings known to others.
There are a lot of Christian schools that prohibit any type of body contact, particular between the two genders. The "leave room for Jesus" thing.

Nobody touched ME unless they wanted a fight, or was my girlfriend. We could still hold hands walking down the hall when I was in school. And if you ain't family, you STILL can't touch me.

Noir
11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Hugging? That's a principle of concern?
While they're at it why don't they stop such outrageous behaviour as talking and looking too.

Trigg
11-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Felt the need to throw that last sentence in there did ya :lame2:

This is a public school, not a Christian or any other faith school, you may want to flog that dead horse in another thread.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2015, 06:26 PM
I think Princess can handle one detention. Good lord. Sounds like a money grab to me.

And of course, the dopey courts won't throw the suit out.

gabosaurus
11-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a money grab to me.

Most of them are. Or else begs for attention and/or TV coverage. Sort of like inventing a strange name for your child and then complaining when he/she gets bullied for it.

"Mean children keep yelling 'Africa!' at perfect daughter, Sierraliona. I think it's racist!" :rolleyes:

glockmail
11-07-2015, 11:28 PM
Nobody touched ME unless they wanted a fight, or was my girlfriend. We could still hold hands walking down the hall when I was in school. And if you ain't family, you STILL can't touch me.

Lol you pussy

DragonStryk72
11-08-2015, 12:04 AM
You know what? They're right to sue.

Yup, gonna let that sit there for a moment.

The simple fact is, they're right. Schools should be teaching compassion, not working against. Now, normally I'd say that they should've just taken it up with the school. Problem is, pretty much no school will listen to an individual pair of parents, let alone amend policy based off of them. The school board will basically just kick it back to the school, so what's the other option? You either have to rally the local community, which rarely works, or you have to find a way to take leveraged action. In this case, a suit.

It sucks that it's come down to that, but it has. Why? Because schools are so worried about not even potentially offending a single person, that they are creating a completely toxic atmosphere, one where everyone is their own separate little island, as opposed to a communal group of people.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Problem is, pretty much no school will listen to an individual pair of parents, let alone amend policy based off of them. The school board will basically just kick it back to the school, so what's the other option?

I need to work in your school. That way, I wouldn't have to talk with parents every day.
Parents have a lot more options that faculty/staff do. They can call and talk to anyone. General problems go to an assistant principal first. They deal with discipline and issues with faculty. Personal problems are normally referred to a counselor.
Any parent can petition to address the school board in private session.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Lol you pussy

If you're here to start shit with me, all mouth no ass ... go for it. But how about you keep it out of everyone else's threads? Oh I forgot ... polite and considerate isn't in your vocabulary. Just being a dick is. Why don't you just disappear back to wherever you disappeared to? Take your little girlfriend with you. All y'all do is make everyone else miserable.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
If you're here to start shit with me, all mouth no ass ... go for it. But how about you keep it out of everyone else's threads? Oh I forgot ... polite and considerate isn't in your vocabulary. Just being a dick is. Why don't you just disappear back to wherever you disappeared to? Take your little girlfriend with you. All y'all do is make everyone else miserable.What girlfriend?

darin
11-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Ugh. Good god. Fire every school employee involved in this.

DragonStryk72
11-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I need to work in your school. That way, I wouldn't have to talk with parents every day.
Parents have a lot more options that faculty/staff do. They can call and talk to anyone. General problems go to an assistant principal first. They deal with discipline and issues with faculty. Personal problems are normally referred to a counselor.
Any parent can petition to address the school board in private session.

Teachers cannot amend school policy, and at least one teacher is materially involved in upholding the policy. The principal won't amend policy off of something like this, and like I directly saud, the school board will just kick it back to the school. So what's their other option?

glockmail
11-10-2015, 04:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs