PDA

View Full Version : 'Rumblings' of Super Bowl Boycott After Houston Equal Rights Measure Rejected

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Houston, we have a problem.

That's the message supporters of the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO) are sending after voters rejected the measure Tuesday by a margin of 61 percent to 39 percent.

The controversial measure would have established nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people in the city, among other groups.

"I fear that this will have stained Houston's reputation as a tolerant, welcoming, global city," Houston Mayor Annise Parker said at an election night watch part in downtown Houston. "I absolutely fear that there will be a direct economic backlash as a result of this ordinance going into defeat and that's sad for Houston."

Parker and Houston's city council may now pursue a range of options from "issuing a clear public rhetorical statement about inclusion and accessibility in the city" to "pushing through another ordinance designed similar to HERO," according to Brandon Rottinghaus, a political science professor at the University of Houston.

"We're not going to see issue go away anytime soon because both sides are deeply passionate about it," Rottinghaus told ABC News today. "However, emotions are very high in Houston right now, so we may not see any political action right away."

Houston attorney John LaRue, who ran for the Houston City Council and led a campaign to support HERO, told ABC News today that though supporters were still "in shell shock," there are "rumblings of boycotts" and other next steps.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rumblings-super-bowl-boycott-houston-equal-rights-measure/story?id=34966488

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 10:35 AM
The voters have had their say. Opposing individuals or groups will have their say, via their wallets and various boycotts. This sucks either way you look at it. I support both sides. But it's almost like extortion - vote with us or we will take your money away. But this is no different than any other boycott, where it's just usually directed at one company/story. Something like this can harm the entire city. Then again, the 'majority' voted for this to happen. At least the majority that voted. And now future places that may vote, will now be fearful of repercussions if they vote with their conscience. But those who would likely boycott would be doing so based on their consciences. What a wicked circle it is.

Black Diamond
11-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Houston, we have a problem.

That's the message supporters of the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO) are sending after voters rejected the measure Tuesday by a margin of 61 percent to 39 percent.

The controversial measure would have established nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people in the city, among other groups.

"I fear that this will have stained Houston's reputation as a tolerant, welcoming, global city," Houston Mayor Annise Parker said at an election night watch part in downtown Houston. "I absolutely fear that there will be a direct economic backlash as a result of this ordinance going into defeat and that's sad for Houston."

Parker and Houston's city council may now pursue a range of options from "issuing a clear public rhetorical statement about inclusion and accessibility in the city" to "pushing through another ordinance designed similar to HERO," according to Brandon Rottinghaus, a political science professor at the University of Houston.

"We're not going to see issue go away anytime soon because both sides are deeply passionate about it," Rottinghaus told ABC News today. "However, emotions are very high in Houston right now, so we may not see any political action right away."

Houston attorney John LaRue, who ran for the Houston City Council and led a campaign to support HERO, told ABC News today that though supporters were still "in shell shock," there are "rumblings of boycotts" and other next steps.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rumblings-super-bowl-boycott-houston-equal-rights-measure/story?id=34966488

I am not usually interested in such cities, at least by modern definition. I spent the night in Houston once. It didn't feel like Texas at all. It felt more like Chicago.

Black Diamond
11-05-2015, 10:45 AM
The voters have had their say. Opposing individuals or groups will have their say, via their wallets and various boycotts. This sucks either way you look at it. I support both sides. But it's almost like extortion - vote with us or we will take your money away. But this is no different than any other boycott, where it's just usually directed at one company/story. Something like this can harm the entire city. Then again, the 'majority' voted for this to happen. At least the majority that voted. And now future places that may vote, will now be fearful of repercussions if they vote with their conscience. But those who would likely boycott would be doing so based on their consciences. What a wicked circle it is.

Expect to see a million gay flags at the Super Bowl.

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Expect to see a million gay flags at the Super Bowl.

I think the cameras would do their best to avoid any statements. Then again, they may point them out purposely and join in. :dunno:

Black Diamond
11-05-2015, 10:48 AM
I think the cameras would do their best to avoid any statements. Then again, they may point them out purposely and join in. :dunno:

If Bob Costas has any say....

fj1200
11-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Is Houston no longer welcoming and tolerant? Were they correcting a wrong or did they just want to "be nice."

/rhetorical questions