PDA

View Full Version : My vegan diet almost killed me

jimnyc
11-05-2015, 10:38 AM
* I just want to say up front, that me posting this is in no way directed towards Noir, or Abbey, or anyone else that may be vegan or vegetarian. And I hope neither of you guys take offense. I don't believe an entire group is in danger. I'm posting this as one persons story.

---

Curled up in bed in her West Village apartment, shivering from cold and exhaustion, Jordan Younger tried to ignore the hunger pangs as she counted down the hours until she could have a glass of green juice.

The then-23-year-old New School student, in the midst of a grueling, monthlong, 800-calories-per-day juice cleanse, was truly suffering: Her lips were blue, her hair was falling out, her skin was blotchy and she hadn’t had her period in six months due to extreme vitamin deficiency.

During that time, she was busy saving face writing her blog the Blonde Vegan, in which she perkily chronicled her strict plant-based diet after building up an impressive 70,000 followers on Instagram.

“The obsession with my diet took up my every waking hour,” Younger, now 25, admits to The Post, speaking as her new memoir, “Breaking Vegan” — about how she controversially turned her back on veganism — is published this week. “It was stopping me from leading a normal life full of social activities and other interests.”

http://nypost.com/2015/11/04/my-vegan-diet-almost-killed-me/

gabosaurus
11-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Happy National Kale Day! (Not pictured -- Kale)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQuexZpUYAARsgw.png

idea stolen from Salt Lick BBQ in Austin

Gunny
11-05-2015, 11:48 AM
* I just want to say up front, that me posting this is in no way directed towards Noir, or Abbey, or anyone else that may be vegan or vegetarian. And I hope neither of you guys take offense. I don't believe an entire group is in danger. I'm posting this as one persons story.

---

Curled up in bed in her West Village apartment, shivering from cold and exhaustion, Jordan Younger tried to ignore the hunger pangs as she counted down the hours until she could have a glass of green juice.

The then-23-year-old New School student, in the midst of a grueling, monthlong, 800-calories-per-day juice cleanse, was truly suffering: Her lips were blue, her hair was falling out, her skin was blotchy and she hadn’t had her period in six months due to extreme vitamin deficiency.

During that time, she was busy saving face writing her blog the Blonde Vegan, in which she perkily chronicled her strict plant-based diet after building up an impressive 70,000 followers on Instagram.

“The obsession with my diet took up my every waking hour,” Younger, now 25, admits to The Post, speaking as her new memoir, “Breaking Vegan” — about how she controversially turned her back on veganism — is published this week. “It was stopping me from leading a normal life full of social activities and other interests.”

http://nypost.com/2015/11/04/my-vegan-diet-almost-killed-me/

Screw all THAT and I don't care WHO I offend. I tried bodybuilding diets a few times and they always ended in a ribeye, and about 6 Hershey bars. Usually made it about 3 days.

The worst thing that happened was when they invented MRE's trying to "look out for our health". F- you. If you're looking out for my health start with not sending me out to get shot at. That's a LOT unhealthier than what I'm eating. And if I'm going to get shot at, I want a damned steak and baked potato. You can assuage your guilt by calling the salad on the side "healthy".

Noir
11-10-2015, 10:54 AM
In many ways a tragic story, but the fact that she is blaming it on being vegan is insulting to vegans who take their nutrition seriously.

Maybe placing the blame on the diet is part of a coping mechanism that's helping her rebuild her health, which is understandable, and taking only her own interests into account in perfectly fine, but not when taken as a wider picture.

But hey, now it's just one more 'didn't you hear about that vegan who nearly died because they were vegan' for someone to bring up in boring convo's >,>

Drummond
11-10-2015, 11:19 AM
In many ways a tragic story, but the fact that she is blaming it on being vegan is insulting to vegans who take their nutrition seriously.

Maybe placing the blame on the diet is part of a coping mechanism that's helping her rebuild her health, which is understandable, and taking only her own interests into account in perfectly fine, but not when taken as a wider picture.

But hey, now it's just one more 'didn't you hear about that vegan who nearly died because they were vegan' for someone to bring up in boring convo's >,>

Vegans HAVE to take their nutrition seriously, because, if they've any interest in remaining healthy, they have to be careful about what they eat. B12 deficiency could be one thing to look out for, of course, if meat or dairy products are excluded. So, also, iron absorption could be an issue. Of lesser concern (but still needing to be monitored, to be sure) is the intake of sufficient protein.

And, for why ? Because veganism is a consciously arrived-at lifestyle, one which runs contrary to what human bodies are DESIGNED to eat !! Include meat, and you cure all the issues I've mentioned. Exclude it, and you have to quantify everything with almost scientific precision in order to escape long-term damage.

At my place of work, once upon a time a certain female colleague there decided to take up veganism. This she did for a considerable period, before falling ill with crippling pain. The reason for it was found to be a B12 deficiency.

Consequently .. she's incurred classic B12 deficiency damage, that of nerve damage. Her condition is irreversible, and she's currently fighting a case for premature retirement on health grounds. To my knowledge, she's been unable to attend work for at least a year.

The point of the story is this: veganism is a shifting away from a natural diet, one we're all meant to enjoy and remain healthy from, and one that MUST be scrupulously managed if one is to ensure that health is maintained.

I've sympathy for what it is that motivates vegans to remain vegans; please don't imagine otherwise. But ultimately, it's a fact that veganism is, ultimately, an unnatural skewing away from a more natural food intake.

Besides, I enjoy steak dinners immensely ... [for that matter, black pudding ...]

gabosaurus
11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Anyone who is suffering from the effects of a vegan diet should visit the State Fair of Texas. Where you can enjoy healthy treats like a deep fried Oreo wrapped in bacon. :p

Bilgerat
11-10-2015, 12:17 PM
You can assuage your guilt by calling the salad on the side "healthy".

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/35/f6/0935f651f7c398601371d0aaa9215725.jpg

Noir
11-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Vegans HAVE to take their nutrition seriously, because, if they've any interest in remaining healthy, they have to be careful about what they eat.

Everyone has to take nutrition seriously, many don't.

At my place of work, once upon a time...

Moral of the story - be aware of your diet.
No one wants to see anyone become sick or ill, but if someone doesn't invest their time to have knowledge of their dietary needs then they can only blame themselves.

Gunny
11-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Everyone has to take nutrition seriously, many don't.

Moral of the story - be aware of your diet.
No one wants to see anyone become sick or ill, but if someone doesn't invest their time to have knowledge of their dietary needs then they can only blame themselves.

A lot of people probably take it as seriously as you. They just don't take it the same way. You don't want to eat meat? More for me. The idea that is some postcard answer to eating is BS. Eating is based mostly on what you do. From your avatar, you look like a scrawny little fuck. Try powerlifting and doing Marine Corps PT on YOUR diet. The strongest I ever was I was eating a 12 oz steak, spinach and some one a days. Once I started trying to tailor that crap I lost strength and size.

And I REALLY hate people telling me what I can do and what I can eat. I can go get deep fried fish at Long John Silver's but can't have salt? GMAFB.

I I have to live miserably then just shoot me now. I don't give a rat's butt what you think about MY health. Take care of yourself and leave me the f*ck alone.

Abbey Marie
11-10-2015, 03:26 PM

It sounds to me like it wasn't what she ate, but how little she ate, that was the major problem.
Double the calorie intake, and take some supplements, and she should be fine, no?

Noir
11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
It sounds to me like it wasn't what she ate, but how little she ate, that was the major problem.
Double the calorie intake, and take some supplements, and she should be fine, no?

Exactly.
This woman was not eating right.
The fact of her being vegan was nothing to do with her poor health, but that is not how she is chasing to present it.