PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Speak vs Military Speak

Gunny
11-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Told ya' I was getting around to starting this thread. :)

We, the vets -- and especially those of us that spent career in the military -- don't understand you civilians anymore than you do us. You're always getting your little feelings hurt. Think we don't like you because we carry ourselves in a different way than you do. We always threaten to kill each other several times a day and y'all want to file a lawsuit.

Point is, if you think you make any more sense to us than we do you, think again. I don't understand a LOT of civilian BS mind-think. Y'all are spoiled, pampered brats to me. And I can go on and on about this one. I can make a meal in ONE (count it) pot and eat out of it. Y'all got to trash half the kitchen. Every dish you dirty is a dish that has to be cleaned.

There's a rhyme and a reason to everything for us. We have a plan. Y'all just scatterbrain around, don't care about the consequences of your actions, and wait for someone else to clean up after you. The consequences of OUR actions costs lives.

Y'all need to quit blaming everything on everyone else and take a look in the mirror at WHO is to blame for your actions.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I do make a mess of the kitchen. But my food is sooooo tasty!

Gunny
11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I do make a mess of the kitchen. But my food is sooooo tasty!

See? Food either sucks to us, or it REALLY sucks. It's fuel. Nothing more. Tasty is not in my vocabulary. What I NEED is.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 12:57 PM
See? Food either sucks to us, or it REALLY sucks. It's fuel. Nothing more. Tasty is not in my vocabulary. What I NEED is.

Gunny, you silly monkey!! Don't you enjoy Thanksgiving dinner? If you never have before, then I need to send you some good food.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Gunny, you silly monkey!! Don't you enjoy Thanksgiving dinner? If you never have before, then I need to send you some good food.

Actually, no. I don't appreciate any kind of hog fest. I usually eat about 6-8 times a day, and small portions. I've done it for so long I can't eat even a whole plate of food at one time. I weight 200 pounds and just one of these girls can scarf down more in one sitting than I can.

I don't appreciate Thanksgiving at all. I hate turkey and I REALLY hate carving it. I usually manage to scrounge up some ham for me. When I was younger and could work out 4 hours a day I could eat anything in sight. I just got out of the habit of eating like that. I'm not even a deal at an all you can eat buffet anymore. Maybe Chinese or seafood, but Golden Corral is no deal. They'd have hated me in my 20s. :) Got asked to leave an all you can eat shrimp deal at Sizzler once.

I just have different eating habits than civilians who like to load themselves to gills 3 times a day. If y'all had to get up and move in the field you'd be puking all over the place.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Actually, no. I don't appreciate any kind of hog fest. I usually eat about 6-8 times a day, and small portions. I've done it for so long I can't eat even a whole plate of food at one time. I weight 200 pounds and just one of these girls can scarf down more in one sitting than I can.

I don't appreciate Thanksgiving at all. I hate turkey and I REALLY hate carving it. I usually manage to scrounge up some ham for me. When I was younger and could work out 4 hours a day I could eat anything in sight. I just got out of the habit of eating like that. I'm not even a deal at an all you can eat buffet anymore. Maybe Chinese or seafood, but Golden Corral is no deal. They'd have hated me in my 20s. :) Got asked to leave an all you can eat shrimp deal at Sizzler once.

I just have different eating habits than civilians who like to load themselves to gills 3 times a day. If y'all had to get up and move in the field you'd be puking all over the place.

I understand, sir. And again, I appreciate your service and what you have had to do.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 01:30 PM
I understand, sir. And again, I appreciate your service and what you have had to do.

It's not about that. First, I'm not a "sir". I'm a Gunnery Sergeant. We work for a living. Officers who hang at the O Club and on the golf course are "sir's".

Second, my point is the difference in how we speak -- our cultures. I was pointing out the fact that y'all (not YOU specifically) never understand what we are saying. Other side of the coin is, we look at y'all with cocked head like little puppies. It's like WHAT can you be thinking.

And I admit, I'm worse than most. I grew up in the military then was in it. I wasn't out until I was 40 years old. And my dad was harder on us than any Marine I ever met. First Marine I got in a fight with I was 14 or 15 and I was holding my own and my dad suddenly showed up. The Air Force MSgt won. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't get my temper out of the sky.

I've also said more than once I make a lousy civilian. It's not a blame game though. We do what we do, and y'all do what you do. I just can't figure most of you out.

For instance, you mentioned Thanksgiving. Y'all pig out til your stuffed, then plop on the sofa and watch the Cowboys lose. My brain is: if I have to get up and fight I have to be able to move.

And you don't have to thank me for my service. I know who is and isn't sincere. For the most part anyway. This thread's more of an explanation of the differences between us.

Perianne
11-05-2015, 01:35 PM
It's not about that. First, I'm not a "sir". I'm a Gunnery Sergeant. We work for a living. Officers who hang at the O Club and on the golf course are "sir's".

Second, my point is the difference in how we speak -- our cultures. I was pointing out the fact that y'all (not YOU specifically) never understand what we are saying. Other side of the coin is, we look at y'all with cocked head like little puppies. It's like WHAT can you be thinking.

And I admit, I'm worse than most. I grew up in the military then was in it. I wasn't out until I was 40 years old. And my dad was harder on us than any Marine I ever met. First Marine I got in a fight with I was 14 or 15 and I was holding my own and my dad suddenly showed up. The Air Force MSgt won. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't get my temper out of the sky.

I've also said more than once I make a lousy civilian. It's not a blame game though. We do what we do, and y'all do what you do. I just can't figure most of you out.

For instance, you mentioned Thanksgiving. Y'all pig out til your stuffed, then plop on the sofa and watch the Cowboys lose. My brain is: if I have to get up and fight I have to be able to move.

And you don't have to thank me for my service. I know who is and isn't sincere. For the most part anyway. This thread's more of an explanation of the differences between us.

Maybe you don't understand it and don't want it, but I always call men I respect "sir". Including you.

Elessar
11-05-2015, 01:42 PM
I understand the eating habits.

When I worked in Command Centers on 12 hours shifts, there was no guarantee of
going to the galley and getting something.

I ate before I left home and always carried stuff to nibble on while on watch.
Some times we were so busy, I could not even do that. I had to wait until I got home.

Aye....a different lifestyle all together.

Gunny
11-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Maybe you don't understand it and don't want it, but I always call men I respect "sir". Including you.

Which is kind of my point. We speak differently. I always call civilians "sir" or "ma'am". Been locked onto THAT since before I remember. In military-speak, only officers are sir or ma'am. Unless you're a Drill Instructor. If a troop called me sir, there was an ass-chewing on the horizon.

I didn't take offense and I was just :poke: at you. But it DOES bear out the point of the thread, right?

Gunny
11-05-2015, 02:29 PM
I understand the eating habits.

When I worked in Command Centers on 12 hours shifts, there was no guarantee of
going to the galley and getting something.

I ate before I left home and always carried stuff to nibble on while on watch.
Some times we were so busy, I could not even do that. I had to wait until I got home.

Aye....a different lifestyle all together.

Trying to give me flashbacks? You know, last float I was on I got $20 for a can a peaches and $40 for a can of Copenhagen. From the XO, no less. And I don't even dip. :laugh:

Elessar
11-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Trying to give me flashbacks? You know, last float I was on I got $20 for a can a peaches and $40 for a can of Copenhagen. From the XO, no less. And I don't even dip. :laugh:

Well...I certainly do not envy the MRE's that you had to use.:laugh:

But Dad brought some K-Rations back from England and 'Nam.
Some of them were not half bad!

Gunny
11-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Well...I certainly do not envy the MRE's that you had to use.:laugh:

But Dad brought some K-Rations back from England and 'Nam.
Some of them were not half bad!

I used to pack ziploc bags full of protein powder once they went to MRE's. I couldn't stand them. It was another one of somebody's "great idea" to feed us only the amount of calories it takes to sustain about a 5'1" 120 lb person. I was a powerlifter. During Desert Storm we got 2 MRE's a day. Screw all that. Gimme back my c-rats. My bones alone weigh more than 120 pounds and you have to get a damned waiver to get in at 5'!" and 120 pounds anyway. I was that size by 6th grade.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Another thing I don't get ... I was questioned for eating stuff out of a can. Let's see, one empty can and plastic fork. Dishes are DONE. Y'all have to wreck half the kitchen to make ONE dish. As "Robot" used to say in Lost in Space: "Does not compute."

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Y'all need to quit blaming everything on everyone else and take a look in the mirror at WHO is to blame for your actions.

What is the use of having a man around if you can't blame stuff on him? :coffee:

Gunny
11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
What is the use of having a man around if you can't blame stuff on him? :coffee:

I'll have to give you THAT one. :laugh:

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, is the man still to blame? :laugh2:

Elessar
11-08-2015, 12:56 PM

You are silly at times

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Gunny, do you notice any difference in the way civilians behave if they come from military parents? Seems to me that my father's influence on me made me more self sufficient and less tolerant of the BS some of my contemporaries take for granted.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Gunny, do you notice any difference in the way civilians behave if they come from military parents? Seems to me that my father's influence on me made me more self sufficient and less tolerant of the BS some of my contemporaries take for granted.

I don't know. I am from military parents. I spent the 1st 40 years in the military.

I get being self sufficient. I've slept under trucks just because the engine was warm. My "GF" was an M-40A1. If you gave me some canned food I had a "John Wayne" on my dog tags and I'd eat with my fingers if I had to.

Then I listen to people whine about silly crap like they didn't get enough drizzle on their damned pancakes.

So I get it.

Bilgerat
11-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Gunny, how do we expect the civilians to understand us when we don't even speak the same language between ourselves.

For example, how to secure a building;

U S Army - The Army would secure a building by locking all doors, put bars on the windows, and establish one entrance with a guard post and armed guards and carefully check the IDs of all personnel who try to enter.

U S Navy and U S Coast Guard - They would secure a building by swabbing all decks, turn off all coffee pots, turn off all lights, lock all office doors, and lock all entrances as they leave the building.

U S Marines - The Marines would secure a building by assaulting it with a combined arms team, breaking into all interior rooms, shooting all resistance, and planting demolition charges as they evacuate in an orderly manner. They would then level the building to prevent further enemy use.

U S Air Force - The Air Force would secure a building by having the Base Contracting Officer negotiate a three-year lease with a option to purchase.

:)

Gunny
11-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Gunny, how do we expect the civilians to understand us when we don't even speak the same language between ourselves.

U S Army - The Army would secure a building by locking all doors, put bars on the windows, and establish one entrance with a guard post and armed guards and carefully check the IDs of all personnel who try to enter.

U S Navy and U S Coast Guard - They would secure a building by swabbing all decks, turn off all coffee pots, turn off all lights, lock all office doors, and lock all entrances as they leave the building.

U S Marines - The Marines would secure a building by assaulting it with a combined arms team, breaking into all interior rooms, shooting all resistance, and planting demolition charges as they evacuate in an orderly manner. They would then level the building to prevent further enemy use.

U S Air Force - The Air Force would secure a building by having the Base Contracting Officer negotiate a three-year lease with a option to purchase.

I remember this crap from when I was in San Diego. They deployed Marines to back up the cops during the riots after the Rodney King thing. The cops said "cover us" and we opened fire. :laugh: We got sent back to base. :laugh:

glockmail
11-08-2015, 02:09 PM

That's retarded. There are a handful of things worth living for, and food is one of them. I never use more than one pot, as I am the grill master.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 02:26 PM
That's retarded. There are a handful of things worth living for, and food is one of them. I never use more than one pot, as I am the grill master.

You don't know what you're talking about. Don't you wish you did?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I'll have to give you THAT one. :laugh:

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, is the man still to blame? :laugh2:

YES!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS!

Just ask any woman thats lived with a real man and not some wimpy ass imitation.
They arent right about it but at least they've seen the real deal. And learned that only one person
has the final say so on truly important life sustaining matters--
it had better be the one that is charged with protecting and defending the weaker party IMHO!--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2015, 02:35 PM

I NEVER GOT FAT BUT GREAT FOOD ONCE WAS A MAJOR PLEASURE...
But now due to a heart attack back in 2009- I've made a major dietary change-- sadly, eating healthy my friend is rarely ever tasty!
Now my body weight is only about 2 or 3 pounds more than my perfect weight. And I now have about 98% of my former strength back.
Some of that 2% loss is due to being in my early 60's methinks. I just haven't the will to exercise to stay in perfect fighting shape any longer. -Tyr

Gunny
11-08-2015, 02:46 PM
But now due to a heart attack back in 2009- I've made a major dietary change-- sadly, eating healthy my friend is rarely ever tasty!
Now my body weight is only about 2 or 3 pounds more than my perfect weight. And I now have about 98% of my former strength back.
Some of that 2% loss is due to being in my early 60's methinks. I just haven't the will to exercise to stay in perfect fighting shape any longer. -Tyr

You had a heart attack? That sucks.

I'm 30 pounds over my "perfect" bodyweight. Was a powerlifter. I STILL work out best as I can. And I'm STILL stronger and bigger than most. But I can't do sh*t I used to be able to do.

I hope I never have a heart attack, and it runs in the family. I hope everything works for you.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 02:55 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. Don't you wish you did?

Right, because your opinion is the only thing that matters.

Elessar
11-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Oh Shit.....

That is classic and funny!

Elessar
11-08-2015, 03:04 PM
I don't know. I am from military parents. I spent the 1st 40 years in the military.

I get being self sufficient. I've slept under trucks just because the engine was warm. My "GF" was an M-40A1. If you gave me some canned food I had a "John Wayne" on my dog tags and I'd eat with my fingers if I had to.

Then I listen to people whine about silly crap like they didn't get enough drizzle on their damned pancakes.

So I get it.

I have several P-38's on me.

Marvelous little tool.

Elessar
11-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Right, because your opinion is the only thing that matters.

You are rather weird and insulting

Bilgerat
11-08-2015, 03:15 PM

I've learned not to tell my Lady "It will make a stool" when she asks me how her food tastes :laugh:

Bilgerat
11-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Always remember, the word "DIET" is nothing more than the word DIE with a "T" added :beer:

Bilgerat
11-08-2015, 03:25 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS!

Just ask any woman thats lived with a real man and not some wimpy ass imitation.
They arent right about it but at least they've seen the real deal. And learned that only one person
has the final say so on truly important life sustaining matters--
it had better be the one that is charged with protecting and defending the weaker party IMHO!--Tyr

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12189786_1329419563829640_8205370894745971253_n.jp g?oh=8225639a08dcfe207a33bcc8d6435c57&oe=56BFA0B6

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
You had a heart attack? That sucks.

I'm 30 pounds over my "perfect" bodyweight. Was a powerlifter. I STILL work out best as I can. And I'm STILL stronger and bigger than most. But I can't do sh*t I used to be able to do.

I hope I never have a heart attack, and it runs in the family. I hope everything works for you.

Lucky for me mine was not a major one. Showed an early heart disease factor and also the heart doc stated otherwise I had a strong heart. One stent implanted --the second smallest stent they use.
Since that awakening-my diet change and other life changes I made has put me in a better state of being than I was then in 6+ years ago!
Of course none of that altered that I am now almost 7 years older!
And old age sucks big time, can't piss over a five foot fence, daly the gals unto they moan out O' GOD -:laugh:
LIMIT NOW BEING ONE BEAUTIFUL GAL.
NO COMPLAINTS ON THAT SCORE-- AS I DAMN SURE FOUND A WINNER THIS TIME AROUND.:beer:-TYR

Gunny
11-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Lucky for me mine was not a major one. Showed an early heart disease factor and also the heart doc stated otherwise I had a strong heart. One stent implanted --the second smallest stent they use.
Since that awakening-my diet change and other life changes I made has put me in a better state of being than I was then in 6+ years ago!
Of course none of that altered that I am now almost 7 years older!
And old age sucks big time, can't piss over a five foot fence, daly the gals unto they moan out O' GOD -:laugh:
LIMIT NOW BEING ONE BEAUTIFUL GAL.
NO COMPLAINTS ON THAT SCORE-- AS I DAMN SURE FOUND A WINNER THIS TIME AROUND.:beer:-TYR

I hear ya brother. That old age crap ain't having a happy camper effect on me. What I've noticed though is us rednecks are STILL the worst thing anyone wants to run into. I gauge myself based on what I used to be. When I gauge myself against wimps ... they're still wimps.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I hear ya brother. That old age crap ain't having a happy camper effect on me. What I've noticed though is us rednecks are STILL the worst thing anyone wants to run into. I gauge myself based on what I used to be. When I gauge myself against wimps ... they're still wimps.

Iffin I hit a hundred and twenty I still would not be down to the wimp level my friend. We old Southern rednecks that were raised RIGHT- never fall that damn low IMHO..
AND "REDNECKS" AS WE KNOW IT TO TRULY BE IS A BADGE OF HONOR RATHER THAN THE INSULTING TERM MOST THE WORLD THINKS IT IS.. A FACT AS YOU WELL KNOW. :beer: :beer: -TYR

Gunny
11-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Iffin I hit a hundred and twenty I still would not be down to the wimp level my friend. We old Southern rednecks that were raised RIGHT- never fall that damn low IMHO..
AND "REDNECKS" AS WE KNOW IT TO TRULY BE IS A BADGE OF HONOR RATHER THAN THE INSULTING TERM MOST THE WORLD THINKS IT IS.. A FACT AS YOU WELL KNOW. :beer: :beer: -TYR

Dude, I tool around in Wranglers or Levi's and Wrangler pearl snap shirts. Got some steel-toe Wolverine boots and buckles as big as anyone's license plate. Got a camo hat that says MARINES on the front. Anyone thinks I'm not a redneck has been smoking something.

And you're damned fukkin A skippy I'm proud to be one.

Drummond
11-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Oh, I think having Obama around to 'blame stuff on' hasn't got as much to do with his gender as you imagine, Gabby ...:coffee:

jimnyc
11-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I have moved the offending posts to a new thread in the cage. Let's please keep the hostility in there.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?52474-Glock-Gunny-fight

Gunny
11-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I have moved the offending posts to a new thread in the cage. Let's please keep the hostility in there.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?52474-Glock-Gunny-fight

I find it very interesting in retrospect. I just scared the f*ck out of a dog as big as me by staring him down and growling at him. Am I really that much of an animal? I thought I was trying to be nice.

Bilgerat
11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
I find it very interesting in retrospect. I just scared the f*ck out of a dog as big as me by staring him down and growling at him. Am I really that much of an animal? I thought I was trying to be nice.

My Lady and I went out for a stroll after a nice dinner (out of town).

While walking a few "youts" walked towards us, making noise.. While she tensed, she allowed me to handle the situation.

I just smiled at the "youts", making THEM nervous.

For some reason THEY crossed the street. http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7938&stc=1

The walk was most enjoyable :cool:

LongTermGuy
11-16-2015, 12:20 AM

While walking a few "youts" walked towards us, making noise.. While she tensed, she allowed me to handle the situation.

For some reason THEY crossed the street. http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7938&stc=1

They "feel" The deep...rage and nastiness embedded deep within you brother...understand :):beer:

Gunny
11-16-2015, 02:31 AM

Got to spread it around. And good on you. Stand up to these punks and they're all of of a sudden stepping and fetching.
re all of

Gunny
11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
And don't go into a convenience store and call it a "stop n rob". They'll be calling for a SWAT team. Sure, I'm going to walk unarmed into a stop n rob 3 blocks from where I live, where I get my cigarettes every damned day, in my Marine ball cap and Lynyrd Skynyrd rebel flag t shirt and think no one will recognize me. And let's not forget the getaway vehicle - fire engine red 3/4 ton pickup you could spot from Mars.

Gunny
12-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Brought to my attention (for all you vets) ....

I know how we are, but a person on this board mentioned the passing of a friend of his that was a vet and I was the only one that responded. We served with these people. Maybe a few ought to loosen up on that tight-lipped shit and say "thanks" or "condolences".

We ARE people too and this was one member's friend. I understand it ain't going to mean shit to him. He's dead. But it might mean something to those that called him friend.

CSM
12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Brought to my attention (for all you vets) ....

I know how we are, but a person on this board mentioned the passing of a friend of his that was a vet and I was the only one that responded. We served with these people. Maybe a few ought to loosen up on that tight-lipped shit and say "thanks" or "condolences".

We ARE people too and this was one member's friend. I understand it ain't going to mean shit to him. He's dead. But it might mean something to those that called him friend.

Damn...missed that one Gunny. can ya link to it?

Gunny
12-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Damn...missed that one Gunny. can ya link to it?

Pretty sure this one's it.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?52932-A-tribute-to-my-friend