PDA

View Full Version : Sony slashes price of PS3 in North America

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 01:32 AM
TOKYO (AFP) - Sony Corp. announced Monday a 100-dollar price cut for the PlayStation 3 in North America and plans for a beefed-up version of the console in a bid to catch up with rivals Nintendo and Microsoft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sony said it had cut the price of the PlayStation 3 (PS3) with a 60-gigabyte hard drive to 499 dollars in the key North American market, effective immediately.

It also unveiled plans to sell a version of the PS3 with a 80-gigabyte hard drive in North America from next month for 599 dollars, following its launch in South Korea last month.

"We're introducing the 80-gigabyte model and with that comes the price cut of the 60-gigabyte" version, said Sony Computer Entertainment spokeswoman Nanako Kato in Tokyo.

The 80-gigabyte model "isn't that much different from the 60 gigabyte (model). It comes with the same features but more capacity," she said.

Sony has no plans at present to cut the price of the PS3 -- or introduce the beefed up version -- in other markets, Kato said.

"It depends on the demand. Each market has different conditions," she said.

PS3 sales are trailing those of Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360. The Wii outsold the PS3 by more than six to one in Japan in June, according to research from publisher Enterbrain.

US sales of the Wii with its simple motion-sensing controller have also outpaced those of the PS3.

Even after the price cut, the PS3 is still more expensive than its rivals -- the Wii cost 249 dollars in the United States while the Xbox 360 sells for 299 or 399 dollars.

Full Story...........
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070709/lf_afp/entertainmentlifestylejapanusgamesony_070709071407

It's still a ridicoulas(sp?) amount of money. Give it a couple months and it will be down to about $299.99 all's people have to do is have a little patience. I'd rather get the Wii, but that's just me.

darin
07-10-2007, 03:12 AM
So far, I'm happy w/ my "old skewl" xbox and Ps2 :)

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
So far, I'm happy w/ my "old skewl" xbox and Ps2 :)

Im happy with the system I just bought. It just came out on the market. It plays the old school Nintendo cartridges and the Super Nintendo Cartridges. I's only $49.99 definatly worth the money if you like the old school games like I do.