PDA

View Full Version : 7-Elevens turn into 'Simpsons' Kwik-E-Marts

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 01:39 AM
DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- Over the weekend, 7-Eleven Inc. turned a dozen stores into Kwik-E-Marts, the fictional convenience stores of "The Simpsons" fame, in the latest example of marketers making life imitate art.

A Dallas, Texas, 7-Eleven has temporarily become a Kwik-E-Mart as a tie-in to "The Simpsons Movie."

Those stores and most of the 6,000-plus other 7-Elevens in North America will sell items that until now existed only on television: Buzz Cola, KrustyO's cereal and Squishees, the slushy drink knockoff of Slurpees.

It's all part of a campaign to hype the July 27 opening of "The Simpsons Movie," the big-screen debut for the long-running television cartoon, which loves to lampoon 7-Eleven as a store that sells all kinds of unhealthy snacks and is run by a man with a thick Indian accent.

For 20th Century Fox Film Corp. and Homer's creators at Gracie Films, the stunt is a cheap way to call attention to their movie, since 7-Eleven is bearing all the costs, which executives of the retail chain put at somewhere in the single millions.

At 7-Eleven, they're hoping it shows the ubiquitous chain has a trait seen in few corporations -- the ability to laugh at themselves. See a Seattle 7-Eleven decked out in Kwik-E-Mart finery »

"We thought if you really want to do something different, the idea of actually changing stores into Kwik-E-Marts was over the top but a natural," said Bobbi Merkel, an executive for 7-Eleven's advertising agency, FreshWorks, a unit of Omnicom Group Inc. "It shows they get the joke."

The monthlong promotion has been rumored a long time -- it's hard to keep a secret known by so many suppliers and franchisees -- but 7-Eleven managed to keep the locations of the stores quiet until early Sunday morning. That's when the exteriors of 11 U.S. stores and one in Canada were flocked in industrial foam and given new signs to replicate the animated look of Kwik-E-Marts.

The U.S. locations where a 7-Eleven store was transformed into a "Simpsons" Kwik-E-Mart are New York City; Chicago, Illinois; Dallas, Texas; Denver, Colorado; Burbank, California; Los Angeles, California; Henderson, Nevada; Orlando, Florida; Mountain View, California; Seattle, Washington; and Bladensburg, Maryland.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/02/7.eleven.kwik.e.mart.ap/index.html

Wow, I wonder how much this is costing Fox? It is a great advertisement idea.

dan
07-10-2007, 04:46 AM
This is very smart advertising. The only thing is... in the show, Kwik-E-Mart is depicted as a run-down, dirty, crappy store (much like most 7-11s!). Seems weird for them to want to model their stores after that.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
This is very smart advertising. The only thing is... in the show, Kwik-E-Mart is depicted as a run-down, dirty, crappy store (much like most 7-11s!). Seems weird for them to want to model their stores after that.

Dunno?

waterrescuedude2000
07-11-2007, 01:52 AM
now thats just awesome they need to do that more often

dan
07-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I wonder if they're going to get Indians to work at all the stores. Oh, wait a minute.....

Harharharharhar.

Yurt
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't see the big deal. These guys want to run/franchise/own a convenience store, more power to them. People said the same crap about the Irish at the turn of the century. I don't care if they drive all the taxis or have all the stores, they did it. You don't see blacks running stores in their "hood." No, you see Koreans working their but off to make a living and what do you get, blacks complaining about Koreans working in their freakin hood.

These guys are legal (hope so) and guess what, they are working their asses off to make a better living. Is that not the american dream?

dan
07-13-2007, 04:03 AM
I was just joking around, I couldn't care less who's working at my convenience store, as long as I'm getting good service, which I always have with the middle eastern workers here.

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't see the big deal. These guys want to run/franchise/own a convenience store, more power to them. People said the same crap about the Irish at the turn of the century. I don't care if they drive all the taxis or have all the stores, they did it. You don't see blacks running stores in their "hood." No, you see Koreans working their but off to make a living and what do you get, blacks complaining about Koreans working in their freakin hood.

These guys are legal (hope so) and guess what, they are working their asses off to make a better living. Is that not the american dream?

I couldn't agree with you more. As long as they are here legally, paying their taxes and obeying the law I wish them all the luck in the world. I think it's kinda neat how they are doing this for the Simpsons Movie. I think Dan was just being sarcastic though.

Yurt
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I was just joking around, I couldn't care less who's working at my convenience store, as long as I'm getting good service, which I always have with the middle eastern workers here.

No worries, my post wasn't directed at you or anyone. Just a random soapbox moment :cool:

Yurt
07-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. As long as they are here legally, paying their taxes and obeying the law I wish them all the luck in the world. I think it's kinda neat how they are doing this for the Simpsons Movie. I think Dan was just being sarcastic though.

Why not?

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Why not?

That's a saying, meaning I agree with you. :poke:

Yurt
07-13-2007, 04:34 PM
That's a saying, meaning I agree with you. :poke:

I know, I just find it odd linguistically. Just saying.... :coffee:

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I know, I just find it odd linguistically. Just saying.... :coffee:

Hmmmmmmmmmm :laugh2:

Trinity
07-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I wonder if they're going to get Indians to work at all the stores. Oh, wait a minute.....

Harharharharhar.

:laugh2:

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Harharharharhar.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: