PDA

View Full Version : My daughter has a date on Saturday

gabosaurus
11-06-2015, 06:50 PM
I have just been notified that my 9th grade daughter has a date on Saturday. Not a "meet up with other kids" thing or a "let's go to homecoming" occasion.
A real live date where the guy (an 11th grader) comes by to pick her up and take her out for the evening.

I am officially terrified. :uhoh: :wtf:

Voted4Reagan
11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Make sure she wears this.......

http://rlv.zcache.com/guns_dont_kill_dads_with_daughters_do_t_shirts-r161506cbb4844ed4b722317e9ee44460_804gy_324.jpg

jimnyc
11-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Weird...

How old do you need to be to drive out there? I thought I didn't get my license till later than that. What's their plans and where they going? It's weird you say that, as Jordan also has a date on saturday. His we are just dropping him off at her house in Darien, CT. More like a visit to play computer games and monopoly, with the parents in full view. Then a group friends get together on sunday. Which is awesome, as I get rid of him for the game!!

I don't trust kids driving at that age, all too retarded still. I know I did it, and that's exactly why I say what I do!! And yes, I know the kids need to learn sometime, but no need to practice at nighttime while my kid is in the car! :)

gabosaurus
11-06-2015, 07:36 PM
In typical teen fashion, the guy asked Friday afternoon and my daughter accepted. I was then informed by text.
You have to be 16 to get a driver's license. I believe this guy just turned 17. I don't know him, but my daughter is fairly discerning and does not suffer fools lightly. Teen dates here usually involve dinner and a movie.

Jim, isn't your son around 17? I am sure he is well disciplined considering his family background.

V4R's T-shirt made me LMAO. I need to find one for my husband. :laugh:

jimnyc
11-06-2015, 07:42 PM
In typical teen fashion, the guy asked Friday afternoon and my daughter accepted. I was then informed by text.
You have to be 16 to get a driver's license. I believe this guy just turned 17. I don't know him, but my daughter is fairly discerning and does not suffer fools lightly. Teen dates here usually involve dinner and a movie.

Jim, isn't your son around 17? I am sure he is well disciplined considering his family background.

V4R's T-shirt made me LMAO. I need to find one for my husband. :laugh:

Jordan turns 15 on the 28th of this month. He's been nagging about driving for like 3 years now. He seems to think I can change the DMV's mind somehow. As for dating, he is like me, a big big mouth on the internet and texting and such, but then the quietest shyest guy in the world as soon as he is alone with a girl or 2. But also similar to me, as soon as he is prodded to open up, you'll look for a way to stick him back in the jar and get rid of him.

Dinner and a movie is cool. Use psychology to make sure they aren't up to no good. Ask for picture of the coolest meal ever that she got. Same for the movie and everything else. Maybe accidentally call just once. Hiring a neighborhood kid $10 to follow them is up to you.

Christie Brinkley
11-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Have you met the guy Gabo?

gabosaurus
11-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Have you met the guy Gabo?

I have not. But he has to come by and pick her up. We insist on meeting all guys she goes out with and she is OK with that.
My dad didn't shadow my dates (his mistake :cool: ) and I will not do it. I told my daughter that I will trust her as long as she gives me reason to.

Voted4Reagan
11-06-2015, 10:56 PM
I have not. But he has to come by and pick her up. We insist on meeting all guys she goes out with and she is OK with that.
My dad didn't shadow my dates (his mistake :cool: ) and I will not do it. I told my daughter that I will trust her as long as she gives me reason to.

http://www.zazzle.com/protective+dad+tshirts

gabosaurus
11-07-2015, 12:13 AM
"He's a nice guy, mom. You and Dad will like him."

The fact that my sister and I used to say the same thing does not make me feel more comfortable. :terror:

Jeff
11-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Good luck to the young lady, and yes I bet you are scared to death. I have boys ( 13 and 14 ) and am scared every time they go out on a date, I remember my dates at that age and well hell they are to young to play house.

Gunny
11-07-2015, 10:16 AM
I have just been notified that my 9th grade daughter has a date on Saturday. Not a "meet up with other kids" thing or a "let's go to homecoming" occasion.
A real live date where the guy (an 11th grader) comes by to pick her up and take her out for the evening.

Have to meet dad to date MY daughter. And I do the "official terrifying".

Don't you worry a tad about this .45 I'm cleaning boy. What time you bringing the princess back?

gabosaurus
11-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Well, that was certainly unexpected. :eek:

The parents of the guy who is taking out my daughter tonight called this morning and asked my husband and I over to their home for lunch. So we went over and met them.
They were quite a proper duo, very (to my husband's pleasure) Republican. The husband works in offshore oil and gas exploration. They were rather suspicious of us, so I allowed my husband to do the majority of the talking.
They have not yet met our daughter. Which is probably for the best. :laugh:

Trigg
11-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Your brave, I didn't let any of my kids start going on single dates until they were 16. Group dates and parents dropping them off at the movies or where ever.

gabosaurus
11-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Your brave, I didn't let any of my kids start going on single dates until they were 16. Group dates and parents dropping them off at the movies or where ever.

My dad tried that. My ever rebellious sister just went out without telling anyone. :cool:

I allowed it starting this year. Providing that we get to meet the guy first. This is actually the first non-group date she has been on.
I don't feel near as anxious after meeting the guy. He put up a good front, but my husband could tell the poor guy was petrified. Probably had an upsetting prior experience dating some Marine dad's daughter. :p
He was very polite and respectful. He has a 10 pm curfew, so I didn't bother asking when they would be back.

glockmail
11-07-2015, 11:33 PM

Of what?

DragonStryk72
11-07-2015, 11:49 PM
"He's a nice guy, mom. You and Dad will like him."

The fact that my sister and I used to say the same thing does not make me feel more comfortable. :terror:

lol, I remember my sister Heather's first date. Dad insisted it would be dinner at our house, so he could meet Rick. He was all set for making this an extremely intimidating affair, and Heather and I kept smirking about it.

See, rick's an Eagle Scout, so I knew him, and understood that Dad was making a number of assumptions that were not going to hold. So me and Heather hang out in the dining together at the dinner table, so I can "show her my Magic cards" (aka watch the hilarity ensure), when my brother lets him in. Dad's ready, sitting imperiously in his chair... as Rick is forced to duck under the doorframe to get inside. The look on dad's face was priceless.

In the end, it was me who intimidated him, and I hadn't meant to. I'd been working during the summers at Scout Camp as a CIT (Counselor In Training), and Rick had apparently seen me around the archery range, which is where I was teaching. We'd made rather a sport at the range of coming up with shooting challenges, getting more difficulty as our skill levels increased from repetition. One we had done, Rick saw: We set up a bunch of deer targets at different lengths down the range, and as you aimed each shot, a particular body part was called out at random by your opponent. I went 7-for-7 headshots down the line, and had done so at a fairly rapid rate. He hadn't made the last name connection though, til he saw me sitting with Heather, laughing at our dad.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Why intimidate someone? Poor guy is probably frightened enough as it is.
My dad never sought to frighten anyone. He was just engage a guy in conversation. My sister brought a guy over once who was dumb as a rock. My dad kept asking him things and he just sat there. Poor guy never came over again. :laugh:

My husband just makes small talk. He trusts my daughter to make intelligent choices.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Just buy her some condoms. Lots and lots of condums.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Just buy her some condoms. Lots and lots of condums.

I will leave the condoms to your kids. Mine has already decided it is way too soon for that. Guys who disagree will likely find out the true purpose of steel tip shoes. :cool:

DragonStryk72
11-08-2015, 03:03 AM
Why intimidate someone? Poor guy is probably frightened enough as it is.
My dad never sought to frighten anyone. He was just engage a guy in conversation. My sister brought a guy over once who was dumb as a rock. My dad kept asking him things and he just sat there. Poor guy never came over again. :laugh:

My husband just makes small talk. He trusts my daughter to make intelligent choices.

In fairness, I wasn't trying to intimidate him. I was fighting for a pack of double stuff oreos. He just happened to see what happens when I've got approriate motivation.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 07:10 AM
I will leave the condoms to your kids. Mine has already decided it is way too soon for that. Guys who disagree will likely find out the true purpose of steel tip shoes. :cool:
My kids are adults. Violence solves nothing and could only get her hurt. You need to teach her how to be safe, with condums of course.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 11:20 AM
My kids are adults. Violence solves nothing and could only get her hurt. You need to teach her how to be safe, with condums of course.

My daughter is on birth control. For reasons not related to preventing pregnancy.
She has already learned about birth control, teen pregnancy and other such situations. In fact, one girl in her grade is currently pregnant. Or was. (to which my daughter replied "who is stupid enough to get pregnant in high school?")

Perianne
11-08-2015, 11:25 AM
My daughter is on birth control. For reasons not related to preventing pregnancy.
She has already learned about birth control, teen pregnancy and other such situations. In fact, one girl in her grade is currently pregnant. Or was. (to which my daughter replied "who is stupid enough to get pregnant in high school?")

Gabosaurus, as a mother of a daughter myself, I wish the best for you and your daughter. I hope she has a fun date, but not too fun. She sounds like a fine young woman. Tell her to vote for Perianne for president.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Gabosaurus, as a mother of a daughter myself, I wish the best for you and your daughter. I hope she has a fun date, but not too fun. She sounds like a fine young woman. Tell her to vote for Perianne for president.

Alas, the date did not go well. The poor boy was not a good conversationalist. He was a bit conservative and did not like Taylor Swift. A major faux pas among teenage girls.
Oh well, life is for learning.

Harry Kane of Tottenham just scored a goal. A teenage shriek of excitement resounds through the room. So obviously she is not filled with remorse over last night.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/80853000/jpg/_80853808_tottenham'sharrykane.jpg

Gunny
11-08-2015, 11:48 AM
My dad tried that. My ever rebellious sister just went out without telling anyone. :cool:

I allowed it starting this year. Providing that we get to meet the guy first. This is actually the first non-group date she has been on.
I don't feel near as anxious after meeting the guy. He put up a good front, but my husband could tell the poor guy was petrified. Probably had an upsetting prior experience dating some Marine dad's daughter. :p
He was very polite and respectful. He has a 10 pm curfew, so I didn't bother asking when they would be back.

Nothing you can do. Raised my daughter as a single parent. The only deal I got was because her period was irregular (and horrible) I got her put on the pill. I ran with that excuse like I was OJ. :laugh:

Can worry all you want and they're going to do what they're going to do. Just like WE did.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Pills don't protect from STDs. Buy her lots of condums, for her safety. Or do you expect the government to do that?