PDA

View Full Version : Patriots cheating again!!

jimnyc
11-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Let me say before anyone even reads the article. I think it's a joke. I don't believe it for a second. I don't know if the writer gives a little itty bitty lean towards something just not right on purpose... but it's just pure luck on this is all. I recall an article from back in the late 90's on this. They pointed out that sometimes a team may go on long streaks, but in the end it really does almost work out towards being 50-50 for everyone.

-----

Cue the conspiracy theories.

The New England Patriots, fair or not, are forever synonymous with cheating — or at least as long as head coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady are doing their thing. From spy-gate to deflate-gate or any other "gate" they have been suspected of — bugged locker rooms, doctored energy drinks, icy hot in the athletic supporters, and the like — there has been a pall cast over this team.

But they also win a lot. Games and coin flips, it turns out.

Skill or luck? As noted by the Boston Globe, the Patriots have won 19 of their past 25 coin flips, which is about a 1 in 189.5 probability (or 0.5 percent chance). Worse odds even than when the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers lucked their way into the top pick in the draft, able to take Kyrie Irving.

How does Belichick do it?

Assuming he, or someone else with the team, is not pulling a McNally and doctoring the coins, the Patriots are just getting lucky. But it's what they're doing with that luck that gives them an advantage.

Winning the toss typically means that NFL teams defer to the second half and opt to kick off to start the game to the opponent. Why give them first dibs at the ball? There are a number of reasons, but gaining second-half momentum, adjusting to weather conditions or getting a first look at how a team comes out offensively could give the Patriots a window into what kind of gameplan the opponent is trying to execute.

The Patriots tend to defer but not always.

“It’s one of the things we discuss prior to the game," Belichick said. “We try to do what’s best for that particular game, for that particular situation. Sometimes we actually withhold that decision until we see what the actual field conditions are for that particular game — like last Thursday night."

Of course, the headline suggests something funny is at work here — that's a pretty incredible success rate for a supposedly 50-50 proposition. And if it was any other team receiving the luck, no one would bat an eye. But with the no-stone-unturned Patriots — or to some of you, Those Cheating Dogs — this has a foul scent to it.

But, sorry ... we don't expect Coingate to be a yearlong, NFL-driven saga. That wouldn't be money well spent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/lucky-or-good--patriots-winning-coin-tosses-at-nearly-impossible-rate-002223011.html

LongTermGuy
11-06-2015, 09:32 PM
:laugh:
http://sites.psu.edu/sac5758/wp-content/uploads/sites/15027/2015/02/Spygate.jpg

Black Diamond
11-06-2015, 09:40 PM
:laugh:
http://sites.psu.edu/sac5758/wp-content/uploads/sites/15027/2015/02/Spygate.jpg

Buffalo Bill?

Abbey Marie
11-07-2015, 01:09 AM
The thread title should read: "Patriots Cheating Still" :laugh:

Jeff
11-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Cheatin Bastards !!!

Gunny
11-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I've heard this crap since the 60s. The Packers cheated. The Colts, Cowboys were cheaters. My brother, a die-hard Cowboys fan thinks the Steelers were the worst cheaters in history. WHoever's on top.

But I KNOW the 49ers and Foreskins were cheaters. :laugh:

glockmail
11-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Who cares? It's just a silly game.

Bilgerat
11-08-2015, 09:16 AM
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12193772_10154235507885016_4744026942784309800_n.j pg?oh=bd8ee3a279d63841e3c0c5b7dc11cc60&oe=56B0B466

Gunny
11-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I don't get this big deal being made about the NFL and its image, PERIOD. WHAT image? They portray themselves as some moral authority and role models when they are a bunch of adults playing a kid's game and getting paid millions for it.

The NFL itself is a microcosm of the US Government. A bunch of stupid rules that tie the player's hands behind their backs and referees who selectively enforce rules which determine the outcomes of games. The Patriots would not have been in the running in 01 had not both the Raiders and Steelers been screwed in the playoffs by bad (or timely) calls.

Then, if you want to get to the players, I GUARANTEE if they werre drug tested as much as military personnel are, there'd be a LOT smaller players in the NFL.