PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Gun, Except For Me

Kathianne
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Another case:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288737,00.html

Texas State Lawmaker Opposing Deadly Force Bill Shoots Would-Be Thief

Monday, July 09, 2007

HOUSTON — A state lawmaker who opposed a bill giving Texans stronger right to defend themselves with deadly force pulled a gun and shot a man he says was trying to steal copper wiring from a construction site, police said Monday.

Rep. Borris Miles told police he was fixing a leak on the second floor of the Houston house he's building Sunday night when he heard a noise downstairs and saw two men trying to steal the copper. After Miles confronted the pair, one of the men threw a pocketknife at him, Houston Police spokesman Victor Senties.

Miles, a former law enforcement officer, shot the man in the left leg, police said. The wounded suspect was being treated at a Houston hospital. Police were trying to identify the other suspect.

Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against the wounded suspect, Senties said.

Police said Miles, who is in his freshman term, is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. No charges have been filed against Miles, Senties said.

Miles, a Democrat, voted against a bill that gives Texans stronger legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles, and workplaces. The so-called "castle doctrine," passed by the Legislature this year, states that a person has no duty to retreat from an intruder before using deadly force. The law goes into effect Sept. 1.

glockmail
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Democrat, hypocrite.

diuretic
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
He's probably lucky he's in Texas I mean, shooting a bloke who chucks a pocketknife at you is just a bit over the top. Good shot though, got him in the leg. I would have thought his law enforcement training/experience would have seen him in a Weaver Stance doube-tapping into the chest.

Monkeybone
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
he threw a knife, that is assualt with a deadly weapon. a cop will give you 20 ft max if you are coming at them with a knife beforef they cap ya

trobinett
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
He's probably lucky he's in Texas I mean, shooting a bloke who chucks a pocketknife at you is just a bit over the top. Good shot though, got him in the leg. I would have thought his law enforcement training/experience would have seen him in a Weaver Stance doube-tapping into the chest.

Of course a calm, and collected individual like yourself would of had the presents of mind to talk the man down, direct him to the nearest self help center, and of turned the criminal from his mindless, and wrongful ways.

Good for you sir..............:coffee:

diuretic
07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
he threw a knife, that is assualt with a deadly weapon. a cop will give you 20 ft max if you are coming at them with a knife beforef they cap ya

33 feet/11 metres I think it is. Once the knife is chucked though, that makes it a bit problematic. I'm putting myself in that position and I think I'd be sweating it a bit in court later.

diuretic
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Of course a calm, and collected individual like yourself would of had the presents of mind to talk the man down, direct him to the nearest self help center, and of turned the criminal from his mindless, and wrongful ways.

Good for you sir..............:coffee:

How come you know me so well? :laugh2:

No, that would have been totally inappropriate. I wouldn't do that. I'd assess the danger to me and act accordingly.

Gaffer
07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Pistols are notorious for being inaccurate. He probably fired numerous times. Got lucky with a hit to the leg. But he's still a hypocrit.

diuretic
07-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Pistols are notorious for being inaccurate. He probably fired numerous times. Got lucky with a hit to the leg. But he's still a hypocrit.

Even I can hit a man-size target from about 12 feet* or so. I can even do it at about 20 feet but over that I'd prefer a shotgun.

*Using a S&W .357 revolver.