PDA

View Full Version : Why balance matters and all creatures are valuable

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2015, 07:18 PM
The water in each tank was taken from the same body of water at the same time.
The only difference is that one tank also contains oysters. A single adult oyster can filter and clean up to 50 gallons of water every day.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10649592_10152582219691785_3556843198272490133_n.j pg?oh=50ff93c360c8edaf9f9f671bd7bcc13f&oe=56B0F42A

Gunny
11-08-2015, 07:49 PM
The water in each tank was taken from the same body of water at the same time.
The only difference is that one tank also contains oysters. A single adult oyster can filter and clean up to 50 gallons of water every day.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10649592_10152582219691785_3556843198272490133_n.j pg?oh=50ff93c360c8edaf9f9f671bd7bcc13f&oe=56B0F42A

Oysters need fear nothing from me. Had one bite of one one time. :puke3:

I did make note of the water color between the tanks. ;)

LongTermGuy
11-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Interesting and informative good share....dont need to eat oysters....meh...

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Growing up on Long Island, seafood is a way of life. Oysters are little salty gems, add a little horseradish sauce and I am a happy woman.

LongTermGuy
11-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Growing up on Long Island, seafood is a way of life. Oysters are little salty gems, add a little horseradish sauce and I am a happy woman.

Got it...I just never acquired a taste for them...I tried...but couldn't take it

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Because not everything appeals to every taste. I can't stand blue cheese but every darned place that has wings serves em up with it. I have to ask for ranch dressing or some such.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Interesting and informative good share....dont need to eat oysters....meh...

Thing is, they farm them. Go to South Louisiana some time. I don't feel bad about eating something that's farmed. You won't find me running out to kill or eat something on the endangered species list. I usually do my "hunting" at the supermarket.

I'm a Texan. If there isn't a steak to go with it, it can't possibly be food.:laugh: But to each his own.

My guess would be the point is, the value of oysters on the environment vs eating them. And I LOVE clams and they do the same thing. They filter the water.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Because not everything appeals to every taste. I can't stand blue cheese but every darned place that has wings serves em up with it. I have to ask for ranch dressing or some such.

Really? I like blue cheese. Must be an East Coast thing. Used to get it a lot when I lived in Miami. You have to ask for that stuff out here. They'll put ranch on anything they think it'll fit on.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Never considered eating oysters or any related mollusks. Considering that many are bottom feeders who spend their adult processing the wastes of other sea creatures.

Drummond
11-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Never considered eating oysters or any related mollusks. Considering that many are bottom feeders who spend their adult processing the wastes of other sea creatures.

... meaning, therefore, that they must be rich in iodine ? Helps explain why they're so healthy to eat ... :coffee:

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Oysters:They are low in fat, calories and cholesterol in addition to being high in protein, iron, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, zinc and vitamin C.

Gunny
11-08-2015, 10:17 PM
... meaning, therefore, that they must be rich in iodine ? Helps explain why they're so healthy to eat ... :coffee:

It just means they taste good. I actually don't like fish. Lobster, crab legs or shrimp? I'm right on top of it.

Noir
11-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Not many care for much more than the *all important* 'can i stuff it in my face?' question.

Gunny
11-09-2015, 12:18 AM
Not many care for much more than the *all important* 'can i stuff it in my face?' question.

Sure they do. Why they farm them.

NightTrain
11-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Oysters & Clams are damn fine eating! Smoked oysters are even better.

I don't really go for fish, either, except Halibut... and I know they are a bottom feeder, along with Lobster & Crab. I guess I have a fetish for bottom feeding critters!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Got it...I just never acquired a taste for them...I tried...but couldn't take it

Raw--yuck...
God made fire so that meat could be cooked!!! Eating raw oysters, fish, etc not on my life!
Fried = ok , but I rarely ever ate oysters.
Haven't even ate fried oyster in about 20 years now .
Now due to health reasons I only eat chicken and/or fish as meats, no pork, no beef-(red meat) etc. unless its
wild-game = venison(deer meat) or squirrel, rabbit etc.
I tend to go with eating more like my Native American ancestors did.
They did not know what high blood pressure was before being introduced to white man food and ways.. ... --Tyr

Gunny
11-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Oysters & Clams are damn fine eating! Smoked oysters are even better.

I don't really go for fish, either, except Halibut... and I know they are a bottom feeder, along with Lobster & Crab. I guess I have a fetish for bottom feeding critters!

Yeah. Don't we all? Problem is, some of them walk on two legs. :laugh2:

Drummond
11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
It just means they taste good. I actually don't like fish. Lobster, crab legs or shrimp? I'm right on top of it.

Have you tried whelks, or jellied eels ?

Any good trip to London, then seeking out a jellied eel stall, would soon fix that ... for example, ...

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/09/23/tubby-isaacs-jellied-eel-stall-aldgate/

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7905&stc=1

At the furthest extent of Spitalfields where it meets Aldgate is Tubby Isaac’s Jellied Eel Stall, run today by Paul Simpson, fourth generation in this celebrated business founded in 1919, still selling the fresh seafood that was once the staple diet in this neighbourhood. Here where the traffic thunders down Aldgate High St, tucked round the corner of Goulston St, Tubby Isaac’s stall shelters from the hurly burly. And one morning this week, Paul told me the story of his world famous stall as he set up for the day, while I savoured the salty sweet seaweed scent of the seafood and eager customers arrived to eat that famous East End delicacy, jellied eels for breakfast.

Drummond
11-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Raw--yuck...
God made fire so that meat could be cooked!!! Eating raw oysters, fish, etc not on my life!
Fried = ok , but I rarely ever ate oysters.
Haven't even ate fried oyster in about 20 years now .
Now due to health reasons I only eat chicken and/or fish as meats, no pork, no beef-(red meat) etc. unless its
wild-game = venison(deer meat) or squirrel, rabbit etc.
I tend to go with eating more like my Native American ancestors did.
They did not know what high blood pressure was before being introduced to white man food and ways.. ... --Tyr

I go along with you to an extent, Tyr ... I always thoroughly enjoy a good steak. Or, to Jafar's annoyance, of course, bacon sandwiches, bacon & egg fry-ups, or pork chops ... :rolleyes:

But if I'm in the right mood for it, I'll also go for oysters, fish (especially mackerel) ... & frequently sushi. I'm well into the habit of nipping into my local Tesco and buying up a couple of their larger Sushi trays. All good, healthy protein, rich in Omega 3 (which, it's said, has highly beneficial effects on heart and artery health). When I was younger, my favourite food of all was salmon.

Drummond
11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
I go along with you to an extent, Tyr ... I always thoroughly enjoy a good steak. Or, to Jafar's annoyance, of course, bacon sandwiches, bacon & egg fry-ups, or pork chops ... :rolleyes:

But if I'm in the right mood for it, I'll also go for oysters, fish (especially mackerel) ... & frequently sushi. I'm well into the habit of nipping into my local Tesco and buying up a couple of their larger Sushi trays. All good, healthy protein, rich in Omega 3 (which, it's said, has highly beneficial effects on heart and artery health). When I was younger, my favourite food of all was salmon.

.. forgot to say .. all washed down with .. 'Tea, Earl Grey, hot' ... (at a pinch, maybe Assam tea, or my current favourite following my trip to Southport recently, 'Lancashire Tea' ...). [.. invoking fond memories of your summer trip to England, Gabby .. ?]

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7906&stc=1

WiccanLiberal
11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Gotta be done right in an old fashioned brown betty and steeped well so it has some body to it

Gunny
11-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Gotta be done right in an old fashioned brown betty and steeped well so it has some body to it

I actually drink tea. Had a buddy in base housing as a kid whose mother was a Brit. We drank tea and ate scones.