PDA

View Full Version : Wrecking ball snaps loose, bounces down street

-Cp
07-10-2007, 10:55 AM
MEADVILLE, Pa. - A 1,500-pound wrecking ball broke loose from a crane cable and raced downhill, smashing into several cars and injuring three people before coming to rest in the trunk of a car at an intersection Monday.

The wrecking ball, about 3 feet across, was being used to demolish part of a library at Allegheny College when the cable snapped, police said. The crane operator tried to stop it, but it rolled nearly three-quarters of a mile downhill, damaging more than a dozen vehicles as it bounced from curb to curb, police said.

Most of the damaged vehicles were parked, but the ball slammed into the rear of Alex Habay’s car stopped at an intersection, causing a chain reaction accident with two other cars at the traffic light, police said.

“All of a sudden, the back windshield exploded and I hit the car in front of me,” said Habay, 20, a junior at Allegheny College.

The ball lodged in the trunk of a car, pushing the vehicle about 20 feet.

“I got out of my car and couldn’t believe it when I walked back and saw this giant wrecking ball sitting in the trunk of the last car,” said Meadville police Officer Brian Joseph.

Meadville is about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19689640/

darin
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I wonder if Insurance companies will use THIS accident to further their unequal-pricing for Males in their early 20s?

Monkeybone
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
hate to say it, but i laughed

glockmail
07-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Reminds me of tose insurance commercilas a year or so back when the shopping cart dislodges, rolls down the hill, truck avoids it and hits a utility pole, which falls on the guys garage. Sort of a Rube Goldberg thing.

5stringJeff
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I wonder if Insurance companies will use THIS accident to further their unequal-pricing for Males in their early 20s?

You mean the pricing that's based on males in their early 20's getting in accidents that cost the insurance companies more money? :)

Yurt
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Sans the injuries, that would have been cool to see..

waterrescuedude2000
07-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Well at least it wasn't 3 dead. With a ball weighing that much it could have easily killed them.

Jon
07-11-2007, 06:20 AM
You mean the pricing that's based on males in their early 20's getting in accidents that cost the insurance companies more money? :)

Nah. He's talking about the "Penis Tax":

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FtEp5yc-g3A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FtEp5yc-g3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:laugh2:

jimnyc
07-11-2007, 08:22 AM
hate to say it, but i laughed

Don't feel bad, I laughed at the title before even opening the thread!

dan
07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Dmp, meet ownage. Ownage, this is dmp.

Yurt
07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Jon:

:lol: That was seriously funny. He actually made good points, 25 a second puberty...LOL, does size matter...LOL.