PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules In Favor of Man Who Shot Down Drone

revelarts
11-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Judge Rules In Favor of Man Who Shot Down Drone

Kentucky Judge Rebecca Ward has cleared all charges against William Merideth who destroyed a drone hovering over his property with a shotgun, saying the drone was a invasion of privacy, local TV station WDRB-TV reports.

“He had a right to shoot at this drone, and I’m gonna dismiss this charge,” said Ward.

Merideth was arrested and charged with wanton endangerment, along with criminal mischief in July for destroying a drone that he suspected was spying on his 16-year-old daughter, who was sun-tanning in the backyard.

William was happy with the Judge’s decision stating, “I was in my right to protect my family and my property.” He expressed the importance of his case against the use of drones to harass people, he went on to say “The next time something like this happens, they’re gonna refer to it,” and encouraged property owners to use common sense when making these decisions. “Now I don’t encourage people to just go out and start blasting stuff for no reason – but three times in one day, three times over the course of a year, six times total, over one property? That’s not right, that’s harassment.”

Drone owner David Boggs testified that flight data recorded provides a different story and that his drone was flying higher than Meredith claimed, however since multiple people witnessed the drone flying below the tree line, Ward decided it was an invasion of privacy.
Judge Rules In Favor of Man Who Shot Down Drone for Spying on Daughter While Sun Tanning (http://therundownlive.com/judge-rules-in-favor-of-man-who-shot-down-drone-for-spying-on-daughter-while-sun-tanning/)

the Judge is Right.

Some want to claim it's wrong because a drone is Private Property.
But it's not like an unwanted car in your driveway, which you can have towed or push it down the street.
It like someone sticking a camera through your window.
there's an expected level of privacy you have on your property.
the invention of drones doesn't negate that expectation.

I'm glad the judge ruled this way I'd like to hope that if more Juries saw these cases the drone Crap would be shut down and people would get the message. this crap aint cool or legal. and will cost you your drone and Juries asking for damages.

Noir
11-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Taking down the drone seems fine - but shotting rounds off into the air Comes with its worries.

indago
11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

the Judge is Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjIAdImW_4

indago
11-11-2015, 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXwQVFt8Ho

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Taking down the drone seems fine - but shotting rounds off into the air Comes with its worries.

He fired a shotgun up, at the sky. At worst the pellets would come down only with the force of gravity and sting if hitting a person.
I can tell that you have no knowledge of guns but thats ok amigo--we that do will protect those that don't,
all the same. -Tyr

Judge made 100% correct judgment!!!!! :beer: -Tyr

Noir
11-11-2015, 11:16 AM
He fired a shotgun up, at the sky. At worst the pellets would come down only with the force of gravity and sting if hitting a person.
I can tell that you have no knowledge of guns but thats ok amigo--we that do will protect those that don't,
all the same. -Tyr

Judge made 100% correct judgment!!!!! :beer: -Tyr

I guess it'll all be down to the makeup of the pellets, what would a typical shotgun pellet weigh after being fired?

indago
11-11-2015, 11:20 AM
I guess it'll all be down to the makeup of the pellets, what would a typical shotgun pellet weigh after being fired?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

DragonStryk72
11-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Well, first we have to know whether he fired shot or slugs. Slugs would be dangerous, but are rarely in use outside of military/police use.

More usually, it's gonna be spray. From there, Guage comes into question. Undoubt3dly, the 12 Guage is the most popular size.

The shotgun is designed as a close-quarters weapon, and past that, becomes mostly useless. So really, the shotgun, while it certainly carries the greatest intimidation factor, it was the safest weapon given the situation

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Well, first we have to know whether he fired shot or slugs. Slugs would be dangerous, but are rarely in use outside of military/police use.

More usually, it's gonna be spray. From there, Guage comes into question. Undoubt3dly, the 12 Guage is the most popular size.

The shotgun is designed as a close-quarters weapon, and past that, becomes mostly useless. So really, the shotgun, while it certainly carries the greatest intimidation factor, it was the safest weapon given the situation

VERY LIKELY WAS EITHER Number 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 SHOT PELLETS.
SLUG OR BUCKSHOT USED FOR HUNTING DEER BUT ONLY IN 20GA, 16 GA AND/or 12 GA shotgun calibers
If slug or buckshot would be more dangerous than the number 4 thru 8 shot numbers..
I've shot them 4 thru 6 shot by the hundreds and hundreds. 7 and 8 are bird-shot for hunting birds, lower for are furry critters that require bigger heavier pellet to kill. I used number 5 shot for squirrels because of the long distances I shot at and number 6's for rabbits. -Tyr

Russ
11-11-2015, 08:41 PM

Judge Rules In Favor of Man Who Shot Down Drone for Spying on Daughter While Sun Tanning (http://therundownlive.com/judge-rules-in-favor-of-man-who-shot-down-drone-for-spying-on-daughter-while-sun-tanning/)

the Judge is Right.

Some want to claim it's wrong because a drone is Private Property.
But it's not like an unwanted car in your driveway, which you can have towed or push it down the street.
It like someone sticking a camera through your window.
there's an expected level of privacy you have on your property.
the invention of drones doesn't negate that expectation.

I'm glad the judge ruled this way I'd like to hope that if more Juries saw these cases the drone Crap would be shut down and people would get the message. this crap aint cool or legal. and will cost you your drone and Juries asking for damages.

The Judge is Right. You have the right to airspace over your property, and I know I wouldn't want some creeper's drone hovering over my back yard.
I wonder if anyone ever showed up asking about a missing drone? :laugh:

Noir
11-11-2015, 09:08 PM
The shotgun is designed as a close-quarters weapon, and past that, becomes mostly useless.

That was my thought, implying that the drone involved was flying pretty low at the time.

DragonStryk72
11-11-2015, 11:32 PM
That was my thought, implying that the drone involved was flying pretty low at the time.

Correct, but remember that those pellet will lose momentum far earlier than bullets from a pistol or rifle. The height and trajectory that they gain is the culprit in accidental hits from air firing a gun.

NightTrain
11-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Yep, the Judge got it right.

I'm pretty sure, though, that there are going to be others that find themselves in a world of hurt when they go in front of an Anti-Gun Judge on the same sort of case.

darin
11-12-2015, 05:29 AM
Wonder how things might be different if this was a Police drone?

Voted4Reagan
11-12-2015, 06:25 AM

Depends... some are smaller than bird seed. no real weight to them. And certainly not deadly falling from sky

Voted4Reagan
11-12-2015, 06:54 AM
http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html