PDA

View Full Version : Moscow put S-400 missile battery in Latakia, able to hit targets 400 kilometers away

Balu
11-13-2015, 06:24 AM
<header><hgroup>Russia said to deploy advanced missile system in SyriaReport claims Moscow put S-400 missile battery in Latakia, capable of hitting targets 400 kilometers away</hgroup>By Times of Israel staff (http://www.timesofisrael.com/writers/times-of-israel-staff/) <meta content="2015-11-13" itemprop="dateCreated">November 13, 2015, 9:53 am 3 (http://www.timesofisrael.com/russia-deploys-sophisticated-missile-system-in-syria/#comments)

http://cdn.timesofisrael.com/uploads/2015/11/12208492_1677432712499478_3337252222062819125_n-635x357.jpg (http://cdn.timesofisrael.com/uploads/2015/11/12208492_1677432712499478_3337252222062819125_n.jp g)A Russian Su-24 fighter jet taxis at an air base near Latakia, Syria, with an alleged S-400 air defense battery in the background. (Russian Defense Ministry Facebook)

</header>

Moscow has reportedly deployed a sophisticated anti-aircraft system near the Syrian port city of Latakia capable of striking aircraft as far distant as Tel Aviv, the Daily Mail reported Friday (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3316195/Vladimir-Putin-deploys-advanced-Growler-anti-aircraft-missile-Syria-able-hit-jets-altitude-90-000-feet-far-away-Tel-Aviv.html).

http://news-front.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/S-400_02.jpg

The paper said that photos released by the Russian Defense Ministry appear to show installations at the Russian air base near Latakia belonging to the S-400 Air Defense System, known to NATO as SA-21 “Growler.”

The photo of the radar installation in question, posted on the Defense Ministry Facebook page, (https://www.facebook.com/1492252324350852/photos/pb.1492252324350852.-2207520000.1447399257./1677432712499478/?type=3&theater) is blurred by the exhaust of a Russian military aircraft. It is part of a series of photographs posted from a recent media visit to the Latakia air base.
The report could not be independently confirmed.
Certain versions of the missiles used in the S-400 Air Defense System have a maximum range of 400 kilometers (250 miles), placing much of northern and central Israel, as well as Cyprus, Lebanon and southern Turkey, in their range. The missile system is considered among the most advanced in the world, capable of targeting F-15, F-16 and potentially the sophisticated F-22 Raptor fighter jets.
It wasn’t immediately clear what kinds of surface-to-air missiles Russia has deployed to Latakia.
The report came out as Russia increased its military presence in Syria as part of its air war to help bolster its ally, Syrian President Bashar Assad, and carry out strikes against Syrian rebel groups, including the Islamic State.
Last month, Israel and Russia arranged to coordinate their respective activities in Syrian airspace to prevent unwanted conflict and miscommunication. Since then, Israel has reportedly carried out two airstrikes on targets in Syria, the most recent one an alleged arms shipment earlier this week.
Earlier this week, Iran said it would receive most of the previous generation S-300 air defense missile systems it ordered from Russia by the end of the year, despite vocal opposition to the move by Israel.
“We signed a contract with Russia. It is being done. We will acquire a large portion of the systems by the end of this year,” Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan told state television late Tuesday.
He said Iranian troops were being trained in Russia to operate the surface-to-air missile systems.
This week, the state-run Russian Technologies corporation Rostec announced the signing of a delivery contract (http://www.timesofisrael.com/russian-weapons-chief-s-300-deal-with-iran-has-been-signed/) in Tehran for S-300 missiles.
Russia will provide Iran with a “modernized and updated” version of the missile systems, following up on an initial contract signed in 2007, Rostec Director General Sergey Chemezov said in a statement.
One of the most sophisticated anti-aircraft weapons in the world, the S-300 is capable of tracking multiple planes at once, and some versions have an interception range of up to 200 kilometers.

http://cdn.timesofisrael.com/uploads/2013/05/Russia-Israel_Horo-e1369983500563-635x357.jpg (http://cdn.timesofisrael.com/uploads/2013/05/Russia-Israel_Horo-e1369983500563.jpg)
A Russian S-300 anti-aircraft missile system on display at an undisclosed location in Russia (AP)

Israel has long sought to block the sale to Iran of the S-300 system, which analysts say could impede a potential Israeli strike on Tehran’s nuclear facilities. Other officials have expressed concern that the systems could reach Syria and Hezbollah, diluting Israel’s regional air supremacy.
Russia initially agreed to sell the system to Iran in 2007 but then balked, saying at the time it was complying with a United Nations arms embargo on the Islamic Republic.
In April, shortly after the announcement of the Lausanne outline for the nuclear deal between world powers and Iran, Russia announced it was lifting the ban on selling the advanced missile defense system to Iran, over American and Israeli objections.
In August, Iran and Russia announced (http://www.timesofisrael.com/russia-iran-close-deal-on-delivery-of-advanced-anti-aircraft-weapons/) that the system would be delivered by the end of the year, with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov saying at the time that “just technical details” remained to be agreed upon.

Balu
11-13-2015, 06:44 AM
See also

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3316195/Vladimir-Putin-deploys-advanced-Growler-anti-aircraft-missile-Syria-able-hit-jets-altitude-90-000-feet-far-away-Tel-Aviv.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://thesaker.is/russia-deploys-s-400-in-syria/ (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3316195/Vladimir-Putin-deploys-advanced-Growler-anti-aircraft-missile-Syria-able-hit-jets-altitude-90-000-feet-far-away-Tel-Aviv.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)

NightTrain
11-13-2015, 07:16 AM
This is a game changer. Covering Israel with possibly hostile AA is going to really rachet up tensions and is going to fuel a new arms race in the Middle East.

Now we're going to have to deploy countermeasures for the Israelis to negate the Growler system, and the ball is put back in Putin's court to escalate. Let's not forget that there are multiple countries flying missions in that area.

Lots of potential for things to go very wrong over there.

Balu
11-13-2015, 07:23 AM
This is a game changer. Covering Israel with possibly hostile AA is going to really rachet up tensions and is going to fuel a new arms race in the Middle East.

Now we're going to have to deploy countermeasures for the Israelis to negate the Growler system, and the ball is put back in Putin's court to escalate. Let's not forget that there are multiple countries flying missions in that area.

Besides, Syria as an independent country, a subject of International Law, a member of the United Nations, may close its air space to ensure its own sovereignty over it. And Syria has a Right to do this.
How about this situation? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Christie Brinkley
11-13-2015, 07:32 AM

Syrian government gave permission for the Russians to do this in their own country... problem?

Balu
11-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Let's not forget that there are multiple countries flying missions in that area.

Can you remind me of the corresponding UN Security Council resolution or an agreement between the Government of Syria and the United States allowing and authorizing the US military aircrafts to be in the airspace of Syria.
Maybe I missed something? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

NightTrain
11-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Besides, Syria as an independent country, a subject of International Law, a member of the United Nations, may close its air space to ensure its own sovereignty over it. And Syria has a Right to do this.
How about this situation? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

No argument that Syria has the right to defend it's airspace. Of course it does.

That Growler system covers most of Israel, though, that's my point. It's a direct threat to their country in the hands of Bashar al-Assad who may or may not continue to keep control of his country. He has not been historically friendly, to put it mildly, with Israel.

If Bashar al-Assad is toppled, I hope that Putin has a plan to quickly remove or destroy that AA system before it falls into the hands of rabid muzzies who would love to begin shooting down Israeli aircraft and airliners with it.

Balu
11-13-2015, 07:54 AM
No argument that Syria has the right to defend it's airspace. Of course it does.

That Growler system covers most of Israel, though, that's my point. It's a direct threat to their country in the hands of Bashar al-Assad who may or may not continue to keep control of his country. He has not been historically friendly, to put it mildly, with Israel.

If Bashar al-Assad is toppled, I hope that Putin has a plan to quickly remove or destroy that AA system before it falls into the hands of rabid muzzies who would love to begin shooting down Israeli aircraft and airliners with it.

Friendly or not this is lyrics.
S-400 systems is an excessive defending means against anything, the US may deliver to Israel to strengthen their offensive abilities.

NightTrain
11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Friendly or not this is lyrics.
S-400 systems is an excessive defending means against anything, the US may deliver to Israel to strengthen their offensive abilities.

I strongly suspect that we're in the process of delivering the means to Israel to defeat the Growler... and I'm good with that. The more hardware we give to Israel, the better. It'll be put to good use in their capable hands.

In any event, I'm happy that you Russians are there killing off terrorists.

Balu, put in a good word to Putin from me to step up the airstrikes. I'd like to see more bombings and higher numbers - the retard we have as President doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done.

Balu
11-13-2015, 08:39 AM
I strongly suspect that we're in the process of delivering the means to Israel to defeat the Growler... and I'm good with that. The more hardware we give to Israel, the better. It'll be put to good use in their capable hands.

In any event, I'm happy that you Russians are there killing off terrorists.

Balu, put in a good word to Putin from me to step up the airstrikes. I'd like to see more bombings and higher numbers - the retard we have as President doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done.

You omitted one thing - "S-400" deployed to protect and defend OUR air forces in Latakia and is operated by Russians. And this is another pair of shoes.

NightTrain
11-13-2015, 08:53 AM
You omitted one thing - "S-400" deployed to protect and defend OUR air forces in Latakia and is operated by Russians. And this is another pair of shoes.

Defend against what? The muzzies you guys are killing don't have aircraft... crude drones or possible SCUD missiles?

Gunny
11-13-2015, 08:56 AM

That's assuming their plane makes the trip. :laugh:

Balu
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
2 NightTrain

I would like to draw your attention to the following:
S-400 is too complicated for "off hand" employment and it requires advanced training of the personnel and crews. This training may be effected only in a framework of an export contract prior to actual delivery. So, there are no reasons neither for Americans nor for Jews to worry about yet. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Balu
11-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Defend against what? The muzzies you guys are killing don't have aircraft... crude drones or possible SCUD missiles?

Against all the possible threats. For example - North Korea or Iran. :laugh:

Seriously speaking, I want remind you about that launch of a ballistic missile in Mediterranean towards Syria, which was caught and reported in seconds, by our radar station in Armavir (Russia) to your great surprise.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

RUSSIAN MILITARY FORCES HAD DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE SURE THAT WEAPON NEVER FALLS INTO STINKING MUZZY BASTARDS HANDS!!!!!

Currently I applaud Putin killing ragheads in Syria and in any other muzzy bastard territory over there.
The more the better as no muzzy is friend or ally to our government, culture and way of life! :beer:
I never fail to clearly see my enemies, because I was taught so well by my father and grandfather about survival, something over half this nation is -DELIBERATELY NOT- taught now..-Tyr

Gunny
11-13-2015, 09:21 AM
RUSSIAN MILITARY FORCES HAD DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE SURE THAT WEAPON NEVER FALLS INTO STINKING MUZZY BASTARDS HANDS!!!!!

Currently I applaud Putin killing ragheads in Syria and in any other muzzy bastard territory over there.
The more the better as no muzzy is friend or ally to our government, culture and way of life! :beer:
I never fail to clearly see my enemies, because I was taught so well by my father and grandfather about survival, something over half this nation is -DELIBERATELY NOT- taught now..-Tyr

Oh, you mean like the ones they're selling to Iran? Or the fact that most of the world to include our criminals are armed with AK's? I'm sure THAT won't happen.

Russians have been rip-off artists from Day One. The AK is a ripoff of the German MG-42. Their planes are cheap knock-offs of ours and have been since WWII. Compare a YAK with a P-39 Bell. And they didn't even bother on the B-29 to pretend. They duplicated it straight up.

They're not good spies even though THEY think they are. They're always getting someone to sell them technology. Or tapping a certain dumbass bitch's unsecure computer who apparently STILL has no charges filed against her despite blatant violations of the USC.

Balu
11-13-2015, 09:28 AM
I always wonder HOW ISIS managed to get American weapons you are supplying so called "moderate opposition" with?
Besides, any opposition is is the internal affair of any country and supporting any opposition from abroad is nothing, but interference into internal affairs of a country.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2015, 09:32 AM
I always wonder HOW ISIS managed to get American weapons you are supplying so called "moderate opposition" with?
Besides, any opposition is is the internal affair of any country and supporting any opposition from abroad is nothing, but interference into internal affairs of a country.

Our traitor president gave ISIS those weapons in my opinion.
His treason does not negate my premise and/or my personal stand on any of this.
I want his sorry ass in jail or punished to the max as prescribe by our laws, (sadly-- will never happen).-Tyr

Balu
11-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Our traitor president gave ISIS those weapons in my opinion.
His treason does not negate my premise and/or my personal stand on any of this.
I want his sorry ass in jail or punished to the max as prescribe by our laws, (sadly-- will never happen).-Tyr
Unfortunately this is not the President, who make such decisions. He may only approve or delay them. IMHO.

Gunny
11-13-2015, 09:44 AM

Is it "Dumb Question Day"? or what? On 8 tours in the ME I don't recall seeing ONE Arab with an M-16. Seems they all had AK-47s. Wonder where THOSE came from? Hell, you can go to East Los Angeles and find an arsenal of AK-47s. Last I checked, WE didn't design, mass produce nor disseminate that particular weapon to any-and-everyone with a few bucks.

And as far as your question goes, don't blame any of us with balls and brains for ISIS getting their hands on any US weapons. You can complain to President Barry. He pulled our troops out too soon and left our stuff in the hands of incompetents. Ain't a whole lot of math to do here, junior.

NightTrain
11-13-2015, 09:49 AM
2 NightTrain

I would like to draw your attention to the following:
S-400 is too complicated for "off hand" employment and it requires advanced training of the personnel and crews. This training may be effected only in a framework of an export contract prior to actual delivery. So, there are no reasons neither for Americans nor for Jews to worry about yet. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Oh, I'm sure that it requires a lot of training and expertise to operate the Growler effectively.

I'm just hoping you guys aren't training up the Syrians to use that system independently.

Gunny
11-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Oh, I'm sure that it requires a lot of training and expertise to operate the Growler effectively.

I'm just hoping you guys aren't training up the Syrians to use that system independently.

THAT is THE issue. Russia is broke. Worse than we are. They will sell ANYTHING. They've armed most of the 3rd World with zero regard for the consequences.

Balu
11-13-2015, 10:00 AM

I did not hear about export contracts to deliver such complexes to Syria yet. :rolleyes:
The procedure to conclude such contracts is very complicated and requires making decisions on the highest level were we used to calculate the consequences for a long period of time, considering all the possible changes of the situation in this or that region the maximum possible way. :rolleyes:

Gunny
11-13-2015, 10:07 AM

You get the feeling little commie boy has me on ignore? He sure as Hell hasn't responded to repeated servings of facts. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2015, 10:15 AM
THAT is THE issue. Russia is broke. Worse than we are. They will sell ANYTHING. They've armed most of the 3rd World with zero regard for the consequences.
And obama has done even worse..
He arms our enemies, insults our allies and weakens our military. With that reality in mind--who can blame Russia for stepping up to the plate to gain influence in the M.E. and also hit ISIS, BECAUSE BARRY BASTARD ONLY PRETENDS TO TRULY HIT THEM.
Hell, he is too busy trying to figure out how to better arm them!!! --TYR

Gunny
11-13-2015, 10:22 AM
And obama has done even worse..
He arms our enemies, insults our allies and weakens our military. With that reality in mind--who can blame Russia for stepping up to the plate to gain influence in the M.E. and also hit ISIS, BECAUSE BARRY BASTARD ONLY PRETENDS TO TRULY HIT THEM.
Hell, he is too busy trying to figure out how to better arm them!!! --TYR

Y'know, I HATE rooting for Putin and Russia. I'm a Cold War boy. I think it's just sad that we've fallen this far in 7 years and we're rooting for the f-ing bad guys.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Y'know, I HATE rooting for Putin and Russia. I'm a Cold War boy. I think it's just sad that we've fallen this far in 7 years and we're rooting for the f-ing bad guys.

Bad guys are good guys sometimes my friend.
Both you and I are examples of that methinks.. :beer: :beer: --Tyr

Balu
11-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Bad guys are good guys sometimes my friend.
Both you and I are examples of that methinks.. :beer: :beer: --Tyr
Honey Gunny is in my ignore list, so I'll tell here.
No one prevented the United States before to destroy ISIS, whom they brought forth. You had all the technical capabilities for this. As the USA with all their Allies failed to do this, but let ISIS to expand, it means you were not interested in it, and this is not a personal fault of Obama, you all keep on repeating here.

Gunny
11-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Honey Gunny is in my ignore list, so I'll tell here.
No one prevented the United States before to destroy ISIS, whom they brought forth. You had all the technical capabilities for this. As the USA with all their Allies failed to do this, but let ISIS to expand, it means you were not interested in it, and this is not a personal fault of Obama, you all keep on repeating here.

Only pussies have ignore lists. Someone feel free to quote me so Boris can read it.

Balu
11-13-2015, 11:31 AM
British newspaper Daily Mail about the alleged placing at the air base in Syria's air defense missile systems (AAMS) S-400 is a disinformation, said the spokesman of Russian Defense Ministry, Major-General Igor Konashenkov. :laugh: