PDA

View Full Version : How would you react to Road Rage?

gabosaurus
11-15-2015, 10:41 PM
I have been fortunate to have never encountered "road rage" while driving. Perhaps I drive too carefully or in the wrong places.

It happened to my sister today when she was driving my daughter home from spending Saturday night at her home. Apparently she was driving too slow for someone, who began to tailgate her. The driver finally pulled out in an adjoining lane, passed my sister and cut in front of her, then slammed on the brakes. My sister honked and began swearing at the driver, who stopped his car.
My daughter said that when the driver, a fairly overweight Latino guy, got out of his car, my sister ran up and got in his face. A lot of very vulgar and threatening Spanish terms were used. The guy then got back in his car and drove off.

I probably would not have reacted that way. But I am guessing many of you would become similarly upset. :cool:

LongTermGuy
11-15-2015, 11:41 PM
I have been fortunate to have never encountered "road rage" while driving. Perhaps I drive too carefully or in the wrong places.

It happened to my sister today when she was driving my daughter home from spending Saturday night at her home. Apparently she was driving too slow for someone, who began to tailgate her. The driver finally pulled out in an adjoining lane, passed my sister and cut in front of her, then slammed on the brakes. My sister honked and began swearing at the driver, who stopped his car.
My daughter said that when the driver, a fairly overweight Latino guy, got out of his car, my sister ran up and got in his face. A lot of very vulgar and threatening Spanish terms were used. The guy then got back in his car and drove off.

I probably would not have reacted that way. But I am guessing many of you would become similarly upset. :cool:

No...I believe many of us `wouldn't react that way`....we are smarter than that...not worth the hassle or consequences...Many of us have more to lose than any ass-hole....Truth.

revelarts
11-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Had some Dude on the highway get pissed at me for some reason a few months ago.
He drove in front of me waving his finger around in the air, flapping his mouth. (is this where i put his race in the story?) i never could figure out what pissed him off. I just kept driving he eventual loss interest as well.
no time for BS, just keep driving, get a life.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 02:27 AM
No...I believe many of us `wouldn't react that way`....we are smarter than that...not worth the hassle or consequences...Many of us have more to lose than any ass-hole....Truth.

I have to count to ten SLOWLY. And I do a lot of cussing. My GF's actually worse than me. Probably be spending more time holding her back than me doing anything. :laugh:

indago
11-16-2015, 07:28 AM
I saw an Inside Edition program where several road rage incidents were videoed, and the ones that caused the most damage to the aggressor, and the least damage to the recipient, were the ones where the recipient videoed, with a cellphone, the whole incident, getting license plate numbers, and then turning them over to the police. The aggressor was then arrested later and charged, paying large fines.

glockmail
11-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Best to video. My son is driving the Mustang now, and that seems to invite stupidity among other drivers. He has a dash camera always on. If the aggressor approaches my car, the pistol comes out of my console.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I saw an Inside Edition program where several road rage incidents were videoed, and the ones that caused the most damage to the aggressor, and the least damage to the recipient, were the ones where the recipient videoed, with a cellphone, the whole incident, getting license plate numbers, and then turning them over to the police. The aggressor was then arrested later and charged, paying large fines.

I hate that video crap. I like glock's answer better. I ain't running and whining to any damned body. You come after me, bring your lunch.

And it's weird as Hell here. I'm used to stop n go traffic in big cities. ABQ is like a NASCAR race. My 3/4 ton pickup is NOT an advantage here. :laugh:

LongTermGuy
11-16-2015, 09:26 AM
I have to count to ten SLOWLY. And I do a lot of cussing. My GF's actually worse than me. Probably be spending more time holding her back than me doing anything. :laugh:

Yup...It aint easy...Breath deeply...Do not turn on the death machine!:coffee:

Gunny
11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Yup...It aint easy...Breath deeply...Do not turn on the death machine!:coffee:

It's weird in a way. These girls will go off in a second. I actually have the worst temper of almost anyone I know so I KNOW I can't afford to lose it. A few days in the Dade County jail taught me THAT lesson when I was a teenager. Indago likes to talk his stuff, but I elbowed a cop in the mouth for grabbing me by the hair (I DID used to have some of that stuff).

What I don't get is I drive a fire engine red, GMC 2500 HD with aftermarket bumpers. And you're going to cut me off or run up my ass in your Honda Civic? Your hood will go under my truck. Means it's straight to windshield for you. And it ain't like you can't see it.

jimnyc
11-16-2015, 09:53 AM
I used to have a bit of road rage back in the day. I would never have done so to a woman, and certainly not getting out of a car and into her face. But I've been known to try and push a person or 30 off the side of the road for driving like idiots.

And yep, I take the deep breaths now, and just drive slowly to begin with to avoid any potential issues. And I take xanax. But sometimes the 'ol bird STILL has to come out. :)

Gunny
11-16-2015, 10:03 AM
I used to have a bit of road rage back in the day. I would never have done so to a woman, and certainly not getting out of a car and into her face. But I've been known to try and push a person or 30 off the side of the road for driving like idiots.

And yep, I take the deep breaths now, and just drive slowly to begin with to avoid any potential issues. And I take xanax. But sometimes the 'ol bird STILL has to come out. :)

I'll ride your ass in the aforementioned truck. ESPECIALLY if your face is stuck in your phone. THAT pisses me off like nothing else. Let me get in the left hand lane, drive below the speed limit so I can text my BFF. How about leave the damned phone alone until you get somewhere?

Then there are the idiots playing Frogger like no else exists or has anywhere to go but them.

And yeah, I do just what you said .... I pick my times and places so I just don't have to deal with it.

LongTermGuy
11-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Ohhhhh...yes sir....agree...many of us have a hidden past of bad choices at one time.......Then... one day...wisdom paid us a visit......and we learned...and became more efficient.

reason10
11-16-2015, 10:19 AM

I moved out of Orlando. Problem mostly solved.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-16-2015, 10:20 AM
I still get mad but rarely ever do much more than that--simply can not afford to let my rage machine turn on.
Back in the 70's actually chased down male drivers that almost caused a wreck by their stupidity and even beat hell out of 5 of them over than decade long+ period. Perhaps a dozen others that I merely followed to their destination and gave 'em a verbal warning.
That next time they do that shat to me, I will stomp their ass. My 73 Dodge Charger became pretty well known to be careful around,
EVEN IF PARKED IN A PARKING LOT-:laugh::laugh:
STOMPED A DUDE FOR SLAMMING HIS DOOR OPEN ON MY NEW CAR. PINGED MY CAR DOOR PRETTY GOOD.
I being a nice guy told him, just give me 40 bucks for the damage or I will beat ur ass.
He-being no candy-ass , balked and said FU. I BUSTED HIM UP PRETTY GOOD- MADE MY POINT.
I don't know maybe I did go a bit overboard back then. But thing is, had the guy showed any respect, he'd not gotten stomped.
A simple -"sorry man"- would have gone a long way but his attitude was--"tough luck dude".
I never played that kind of game......
I bez mellow now..- ;);) Tyr

revelarts
11-16-2015, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

Gunny
11-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Ohhhhh...yes sir....agree...many of us have a hidden past of bad choices at one time.......Then... one day...wisdom paid us a visit......and we learned...and became more efficient.

Now you're a philosopher, huh? When the f*ck did THAT happen? :laugh:

The funny part to me is you talk to teens now and it's like, you haven't invented anything new, dipstick. And they just look at you like you're stupid. But remember when WE did the same thing? I used to look at my parents like WTF-ever. :laugh:

Teens nowadays don't even speak the same language we do and want to put earrings in their noses. :wtf:

gabosaurus
11-16-2015, 11:35 AM
My sister inherited my mom's bad temper. Thinking about it, I doubt she would have done anything if the guy hadn't gotten out of his car. But with my daughter with her, she was going to react like a mother pit bull.
I did call the CHP this morning and report the guy's license plate number.

Elessar
11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
My 6000 pound Yukon does not have much to worry about.

I was going to pick up my Mom from her heart surgery, having to drive US 199 to Medford
that had lots of icy spots on it. Some clown in a dodge sedan started tailgating me. It was too
slick to do anything more than the posted limit - and I have mud and snow tires all the way around.
I slowed down more just to give him the message that I did not want to tow him.:laugh:
He whipped around me and swooped right in front of me and ended up swerving all over the damn road
with that front wheel drive piece of crap. I laughed may ass off as I passed him once he ended up
off the pavement along the side of the road.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 02:58 PM
My sister inherited my mom's bad temper. Thinking about it, I doubt she would have done anything if the guy hadn't gotten out of his car. But with my daughter with her, she was going to react like a mother pit bull.

If the kid's with you, bets are off. Anyone screws with one my GFs daughters I'm just looking for popcorn. I won't have to do anything. If you screw with one of MY kids, you better have a rocket ship. The Earth ain't a big enough place to hide.

Parents are funny like that. :)

Trigg
11-16-2015, 03:04 PM

you're lucky your sister didn't get shot.

I've never been driving when confronted with a situation like that. I have been tailgated, I simply slow down more so whoever they are can go around me that much faster.

Honestly if some dipshit wants to drive like an idiot and cause a wreck I'd rather have nothing to do with it.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 03:10 PM
you're lucky your sister didn't get shot.

I've never been driving when confronted with a situation like that. I have been tailgated, I simply slow down more so whoever they are can go around me that much faster.

Honestly if some dipshit wants to drive like an idiot and cause a wreck I'd rather have nothing to do with it.

Depends on where you live. I'll do the same to a tailgaiter. At the same time, I'll ride your tail if you do 50 in the left lane and I'm GOOD at it. When I'm doing the speed limit I stay to the right. In Texas we have this other famous sign that says "left lane is for passing only".

country
11-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Its ok to get upset when you are cut off in traffic or someone riding your bumper, but never pull over and confront a stranger over road rage. Just not a good idea.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Its ok to get upset when you are cut off in traffic or someone riding your bumper, but never pull over and confront a stranger over road rage. Just not a good idea.

True enough. If I do that, confrontation is going to be Smith, Wesson and me. (And yeah, I stole that from a Dirty Harry movie. F-ing shameless, huh?) :laugh:

LongTermGuy
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
True enough. If I do that, confrontation is going to be Smith, Wesson and me. (And yeah, I stole that from a Dirty Harry movie. F-ing shameless, huh?) :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:...ahhhh..Understand completely brother Gunny....But that might not be a good idea....One ass-hole is not worth losing your freedom for....wait for SHTF...(its coming)when there are no Liberal laws protecting ass-holes and scum-bags...be patient my brother..............:thumb:

Gunny
11-16-2015, 04:24 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:...ahhhh..Understand completely brother Gunny....But that might not be a good idea....One ass-hole is not worth losing your freedom for....wait for SHTF...(its coming)when there are no Liberal laws protecting ass-holes and scum-bags...be patient my brother..............:thumb:

There are a LOT of people still breathing and should be thankful for that one reason.

gabosaurus
11-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Fortunately, California is not Texas. You are not going to encounter many gun-toting hotheads.
My guess is that when someone tailgates you, then pulls in front and forces you off the road, you have ample time to size that person up. I doubt my sister would have confronted a potential gang member.

My daughter actually took some photos of the confrontation on her phone and sent a couple to a CHP online reporting site. She got an e-mail back stating that her report was being investigated.

Gunny
11-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Fortunately, California is not Texas. You are not going to encounter many gun-toting hotheads.
My guess is that when someone tailgates you, then pulls in front and forces you off the road, you have ample time to size that person up. I doubt my sister would have confronted a potential gang member.

My daughter actually took some photos of the confrontation on her phone and sent a couple to a CHP online reporting site. She got an e-mail back stating that her report was being investigated.

You mean fortunately the Left Coast isn't Texas. Try going inland. You're about as welcome as the plague. and I probably have more time in CA than you have breathing. You'll have to work that angle on someone else.

Trigg
11-16-2015, 09:11 PM

You keep telling yourself that. I'd be furious if someone put my child in danger by getting out of the car and confronting a person pissed enough to force them over.

PixieStix
11-17-2015, 12:02 AM
I think it was 2009, I was on my way to my favorite grocery store. I was stopped at a red light in the far right lane. The sign by the red light said "no turn on red before 4 pm". So I was sitting there waiting for it to change when this large woman in a SUV was enraged and blowing the horn at me like a crazy person, stuck her head out the window and said, "F-ing turn you stupid bitch!!!." I shot her the finger. She was enraged. Anyway the light changed and I got in the turn lane to turn into my store. She sped up beside me and threw a can of tea at me, it hit my car, sounded like a shotgun. I got behind her and called the police and gave them her license plate number and drove to the police station. Turns out she lived right behind the police station and they walked up there and arrested her :laugh:

Long story short she had to pay me $1200.00 in restitution. I bet she is calmer these days. :coffee: I hope so, anyway

red state
11-17-2015, 12:04 AM
My 6000 pound Yukon does not have much to worry about.

I was going to pick up my Mom from her heart surgery, having to drive US 199 to Medford
that had lots of icy spots on it. Some clown in a dodge sedan started tailgating me. It was too
slick to do anything more than the posted limit - and I have mud and snow tires all the way around.
I slowed down more just to give him the message that I did not want to tow him.:laugh:
He whipped around me and swooped right in front of me and ended up swerving all over the damn road
with that front wheel drive piece of crap. I laughed may ass off as I passed him once he ended up
off the pavement along the side of the road.

Now that is what we call poetic justice. :lol: Don't you just love when Karma kicks in?!!! My daughter recently threw a fit about my getting into her gourmet coffee (fixed her some as well) but just an hour or so after throwing a fit.......she breaks her brand new coffee pot!!!

Getting back on topic, however, I don't get along with folks from Louisiana (AT ALL) at least three incidents involved what I call "ragin' Cajuns" but I'll mention this one:

I & the family were leaving Severville a few years ago and the traffic was awful and at a CRAWL. Cops were everywhere, which was rare for that area, and I saw a space in the left lane of about 100 feet and needed to turn left on to I40 in a few red lights so I flicked the turn signal on and preparded to creep over. When I did, this guy (who was 100 feet or so behind) seemed to punch the darn thing but I truly needed over so I continued to creep over into the necessary (unoccupied space). He then stayed right on my tail for the next red light or two so I tapped my breaks. He WAY over reacted by slamming on his breaks and at the next red light, got out and approached my door. as we "talked it out", and with hand on my 38, the much older gentleman was left ranting and raving like a lunitic as the light turned green and his wife turned RED. I felt so sorry for her because he looked as though he'd have a heart attack in the roadside ditch with cars honking at HIM to get his fool self back in. I saw him at the next red light as the traffic finally cleared and allowed for faster driving. His window was down and you could distinctly read his lips to say "U @$$HOLE". I got a big laugh out of it because he was actually speeding right by one of the cops!!! Karma. The other story regarding 'them folks' from Louisiana, will be for another day but I'll tell you right now..........THEY don't seem all that bright. I told my family (as we all laughed and left the loonie out in the street) that I wish I had a loaded water pistol with grape jelly instead of a 38.

There was the time I got flipped off going to the mountains on I40............I thought I was going too slow but I was later contemplated the liberal-type car and remembered that I did have a ROMNEY sticker on my car. Can't blame anyone for flipping off a Mittens supporter......heck, I'd probably flip myself off because I really didn't like Mittens either.....just thought that he just MAYBE had a chance to beat Ole Big Ears and wanted to shove the liberal's noses in it as best I could. Not wise to go looking for trouble and if I were Gabs-too-much, I'd actually be really pissed at my sister for placing my daughter in a dangerous situations. Just saying.

Thanks for the post, Elessar, I got a much needed chuckle out of that story.

red state
11-17-2015, 12:08 AM
I think it was 2009, I was on my way to my favorite grocery store. I was stopped at a red light in the far right lane. The sign by the red light said "no turn on red before 4 pm". So I was sitting there waiting for it to change when this large woman in a SUV was enraged and blowing the horn at me like a crazy person, stuck her head out the window and said, "F-ing turn you stupid bitch!!!." I shot her the finger. She was enraged. Anyway the light changed and I got in the turn lane to turn into my store. She sped up beside me and threw a can of tea at me, it hit my car, sounded like a shotgun. I got behind her and called the police and gave them her license plate number and drove to the police station. Turns out she lived right behind the police station and they walked up there and arrested her :laugh:

Long story short she had to pay me $1200.00 in restitution. I bet she is calmer these days. :coffee: I hope so, anyway

QUESTIONS:

How did they find her guilty (and of what)
What was the damages to her car (or mental anguish possibly)?
Did you have to appear in court or was it simply obvious that she threw tea on your car?

PixieStix
11-17-2015, 12:51 AM
QUESTIONS:

How did they find her guilty (and of what)
What was the damages to her car (or mental anguish possibly)?
Did you have to appear in court or was it simply obvious that she threw tea on your car?

They found the can on the street with her fingerprints on it.

There were no damages to her car

Yes I had to appear in court and she finally pled, and was fined. Damages to my car was 600.00 or so.

Jeff
11-17-2015, 07:22 AM
If I am driving my truck I try to just avoid nit wits like this Guy Gabs, now if I am on my bike and someone starts riding my ass I throw both hands in the air and then slow down, if they don't get off my butt I reach in my vest pocket and grab the sinker ( I always carry a few ) and lob it up in the air. At that point I will pull over and see if the offender has the balls to pull over with me ( funny how many keep driving once ya jump off the bike, not sure if they are just pussies or maybe the 45 on my side has something to do with it :laugh: )

glockmail
11-17-2015, 07:55 AM
If I am driving my truck I try to just avoid nit wits like this Guy Gabs, now if I am on my bike and someone starts riding my ass I throw both hands in the air and then slow down, if they don't get off my butt I reach in my vest pocket and grab the sinker ( I always carry a few ) and lob it up in the air. At that point I will pull over and see if the offender has the balls to pull over with me ( funny how many keep driving once ya jump off the bike, not sure if they are just pussies or maybe the 45 on my side has something to do with it :laugh: )

That's one reason why I drive with 4 wheels instead of two. But yeah, it's amazing how their attitudes change once you're both stopped. Standing up, getting off your bike, unzipping your jacket and leaving your helmet on has a quieting effect on road ragers. LOL

Jeff
11-17-2015, 08:10 AM
That's one reason why I drive with 4 wheels instead of two. But yeah, it's amazing how their attitudes change once you're both stopped. Standing up, getting off your bike, unzipping your jacket and leaving your helmet on has a quieting effect on road ragers. LOL

Most do their best James Dean ( flip me off, scream like bad asses as they speed by ) as I am getting off of my bike standing there waiting on them. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
11-17-2015, 10:38 AM

I once had someone do the "pull in front and slam the brakes" thing to me. It turned out to be the friend I was on the way to meet for lunch. Needless to say, I did not get out of the car and confront her. I never thought of her the same afterwards.

Abbey Marie
11-17-2015, 10:40 AM

Other drivers are virtually begging for it.

Gunny
11-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Other drivers are virtually begging for it.

I rarely drive anymore. I got about a 6 block radius in any direction. My GF usually drives and I just hold on.:laugh: Just going for smokes around here means you have to get your Dale Earnhart on.

Elessar
11-17-2015, 05:18 PM

I had a co-worker who was on NYPD and did mounted work as well as vice.
He actually worked with Serpico for a while, too.

He was a horse mounted cop, then went to motorcycles.

He told me the best way to deter a tailgater when on a bike was to
toss a handful of ball-bearings behind him. They rather tend to bounce
and do a "bit" of damage. So Marty kept ball bearings in his
jacket all the time.

Damn...he was nuts!

Perianne
11-17-2015, 05:36 PM
I ran a stop sign one time and nearly caused a wreck. The other guy got out and came over to my car and started screaming at me. He did not know my husband was in his truck behind me. My husband beat the guy unconscious and left him on the side of the road.

I suspect the other guy never did road rage again.

I have always loved telling that story because it had a happy ending.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-17-2015, 08:54 PM
I ran a stop sign one time and nearly caused a wreck. The other guy got out and came over to my car and started screaming at me. He did not know my husband was in his truck behind me. My husband beat the guy unconscious and left him on the side of the road.

I suspect the other guy never did road rage again.

I have always loved telling that story because it had a happy ending.

I never say a thing to females about their bad driving. But guys are a different story.
If they are being asses about it I often follow them to anyplace except their home or a private residence or police station--then I confront the assholes. Have not down that in about 11 years now. Riza calmed me down and doesn't put up with me acting that way now about bad driving.
Crazy women drivers I just get the hell away from as fast as I can.....-Tyr

Jeff
11-18-2015, 07:57 AM

jacket all the time.

Damn...he was nuts!

I prefer the sinkers only cause 1 I have plenty of them, and 2 they are easy to retrieve in my pocket. ( probably only cause I have carried them for the last 30 years ) And if lobbed just right they will shatter a windshield. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 11:42 AM

jacket all the time.

Damn...he was nuts!

I worked with a guy who kept large bolts in his car. I was with him when he tossed one, too. I doubt I could ever do it myself, but it would sure be satisfying!

Gunny
11-18-2015, 11:44 AM
I worked with a guy who kept large bolts in his car. I was with him when he tossed one, too. I doubt I could ever do it myself, but it would sure be satisfying!

Did you just agree with someone doing something bad, Abs? I need a cold compress now ....

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Did you just agree with someone doing something bad, Abs? I need a cold compress now ....

I've told you- my car is my un-sanctified zone. All bets are off when I'm behind the wheel. :laugh2:

(I figure God will understand...)
:eek:

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 12:08 PM
I prefer the sinkers only cause 1 I have plenty of them, and 2 they are easy to retrieve in my pocket. ( probably only cause I have carried them for the last 30 years ) And if lobbed just right they will shatter a windshield. :laugh:

People seriously tailgate you on your bike?

http://m.memegen.com/n0c13e.jpg

Gunny
11-18-2015, 12:12 PM
I've told you- my car is my un-sanctified zone. All bets are off when I'm behind the wheel. :laugh2:

ATTENTION ... Abs is being bad. :laugh2:

And you said a cuss word week before last. I think Russ needs to have a talk with YOU, young lady.

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 12:14 PM
ATTENTION ... Abs is being bad. :laugh2:

And you said a cuss word week before last. I think Russ needs to have a talk with YOU, young lady.

Lol, he would like that!

Elessar
11-18-2015, 02:48 PM

Ball bearings bounce better than lead and can shatter windshields
and damage radiators:laugh:

Gunny
11-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Ball bearings bounce better than lead and can shatter windshields
and damage radiators:laugh:

Especially when you load them in a shotgun.

gabosaurus
11-18-2015, 04:32 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/ucuiv.jpg

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 05:40 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/ucuiv.jpg

Lol. But I'm not driving badly, Lord. Everyone else is! :laugh2:

Jeff
11-18-2015, 08:23 PM
People seriously tailgate you on your bike?

http://m.memegen.com/n0c13e.jpg

Not a whole bunch Abbey, but we do get some ( usually young punks ) that want to see how tough they are. But when the sinker bounces off their car and I pull over it is at that point that they realize how tough they are. :laugh:

gabosaurus
11-18-2015, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't know how to react if a biker rolled up next to me. I doubt I would know how directions to the nearest Twin Peaks. :rolleyes:

glockmail
11-19-2015, 07:44 AM
I routinely drove the speed limit or slightly over on my bike so picked up a lot tailgaitors. I'd pull to the left side of my lane, slow just a bit, and give them a big wave with my left arm, instructing them to safely pass me.