PDA

View Full Version : Former Bush surgeon general says he was muzzled

LiberalNation
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Science and politics/government mix about has well as oil and water. A surgeon general position should be non-partisan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710/hl_nm/bush_surgeongeneral_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The first U.S. surgeon general appointed by President George W. Bush accused the administration on Tuesday of political interference and muzzling him on key issues like embryonic stem cell research.

"Anything that doesn't fit into the political appointees' ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized or simply buried," Dr. Richard Carmona, who served as the nation's top doctor from 2002 until 2006, told a House of Representatives committee.

"The problem with this approach is that in public health, as in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science, or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds. The job of surgeon general is to be the doctor of the nation, not the doctor of a political party," Carmona added.

Carmona said Bush administration political appointees censored his speeches and kept him from talking out publicly about certain issues, including the science on embryonic stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration's embrace of "abstinence-only" sex education.

Carmona's comments came two days before a Senate committee is due to hold a hearing on Bush's nomination of Dr. James Holsinger as his successor. The administration allowed Carmona to finish his term as surgeon general last year without a replacement in place.

Gay rights activists and several leading Democrats have criticized Holsinger for what they see as "anti-gay" writings, but the White House has defended him as well qualified.

U.S. surgeons general in the past have issued influential reports on subjects including smoking, AIDS and mental health.

"Political interference with the work of the surgeon general appears to have reached a new level in this administration," said Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to which Carmona testified.

"The public expects that a surgeon general will be immune from political pressure and be allowed to express his or her professional views based on the best available science," he said.

Carmona said he was politically naive when he took the job, but became astounded at the partisanship and manipulation he witnessed as administration political appointees hemmed him in.

Bush in 2001 allowed federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but only with heavy restrictions that many scientists condemn as stifling.

Carmona said the administration prevented him from voicing views on stem cell research. Many scientists see it as a promising avenue for curing many diseases. But because it involves destroying human embryos, opponents call it immoral.

Carmona said he was prevented from talking publicly even about the science underpinning the research to enable the U.S. public to have a better understanding of a complicated issue. He said most of the public debate over the matter has been driven by political, ideological or theological motivations.

"I was blocked at every turn. I was told the decision had already been made -- stand down, don't talk about it," he said.

Carmona testified with two predecessors, Dr. C. Everett Koop, who served under President Ronald Reagan, and Dr. David Satcher, named by Clinton but whose term ended under Bush.

Carmona said some of his predecessors told him, "We have never seen it as partisan, as malicious, as vindictive, as mean-spirited as it is today, and you clearly have worse than anyone's had."

diuretic
07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
"Anything that doesn't fit into the political appointees' ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized or simply buried," Dr. Richard Carmona, who served as the nation's top doctor from 2002 until 2006, told a House of Representatives committee.

Sounds like the sort of crap the Taliban would pull.

stephanie
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
What's that saying........There's no honor among Criminals..

Just substitute "political hacks"...in place of criminals...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thbaby-crying-1.gif

Psychoblues
07-12-2007, 04:24 AM
The Dems railed against Carano. He is the worst of the worst right wing hacks with very little actual medical experience, the Dems said.

As much of a hack as he was, he ain't got a thing for the idiots that did everything to suppress anything that he offered in his professional medical opinions. "Always mention the good Prez. Bush" in each of your speeches? Come on now folks!!!!!! Ain't that anti American enough for you? There's more. Much more.

Abbey Marie
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
If I recall correctly, Clinton's SG testified at the same hearing, with similar complaints.

manu1959
07-12-2007, 12:11 PM
just curious but are your employees or does your boss let you say whatever you want whenever you want?

glockmail
07-12-2007, 01:41 PM
just curious but are your employees or does your boss let you say whatever you want whenever you want? I could never find a boss who would agree with that until I hired one for myself: me. :D

darin
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
... in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science, or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds.

Funny - Al Gore and other democrats do just that when beating the man-made Global Warming drum.

glockmail
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Funny - Al Gore and other democrats do just that when beating the man-made Global Warming drum. Al said the argument was over, and since he is the alpha male....

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Science and politics/government mix about has well as oil and water. A surgeon general position should be non-partisan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710/hl_nm/bush_surgeongeneral_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The first U.S. surgeon general appointed by President George W. Bush accused the administration on Tuesday of political interference and muzzling him on key issues like embryonic stem cell research.

"The problem with this approach is that in public health, as in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science, or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds. The job of surgeon general is to be the doctor of the nation, not the doctor of a political party," Carmona added.

Carmona said Bush administration political appointees censored his speeches and kept him from talking out publicly about certain issues, including the science on embryonic stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration's embrace of "abstinence-only" sex education.

Carmona's comments came two days before a Senate committee is due to hold a hearing on Bush's nomination of Dr. James Holsinger as his successor. The administration allowed Carmona to finish his term as surgeon general last year without a replacement in place.

Gay rights activists and several leading Democrats have criticized Holsinger for what they see as "anti-gay" writings, but the White House has defended him as well qualified.

U.S. surgeons general in the past have issued influential reports on subjects including smoking, AIDS and mental health.

"Political interference with the work of the surgeon general appears to have reached a new level in this administration," said Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to which Carmona testified.

"The public expects that a surgeon general will be immune from political pressure and be allowed to express his or her professional views based on the best available science," he said.

Carmona said he was politically naive when he took the job, but became astounded at the partisanship and manipulation he witnessed as administration political appointees hemmed him in.

Bush in 2001 allowed federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but only with heavy restrictions that many scientists condemn as stifling.

Carmona said the administration prevented him from voicing views on stem cell research. Many scientists see it as a promising avenue for curing many diseases. But because it involves destroying human embryos, opponents call it immoral.

Carmona said he was prevented from talking publicly even about the science underpinning the research to enable the U.S. public to have a better understanding of a complicated issue. He said most of the public debate over the matter has been driven by political, ideological or theological motivations.

"I was blocked at every turn. I was told the decision had already been made -- stand down, don't talk about it," he said.

Carmona testified with two predecessors, Dr. C. Everett Koop, who served under President Ronald Reagan, and Dr. David Satcher, named by Clinton but whose term ended under Bush.

Carmona said some of his predecessors told him, "We have never seen it as partisan, as malicious, as vindictive, as mean-spirited as it is today, and you clearly have worse than anyone's had."

He is just upset that President Bush replaced him, so he figures he will fo on the offensive and attack President Bush since there a a good number who dislike him and who is blinded by their hatered so they will believe anything this guy says. It's really pitiful.

waterrescuedude2000
07-13-2007, 01:35 AM
If guns are outlawed how can we shoot the liberals???

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 02:49 AM
I'll agree with you on this one, nm. It's pitiful.

He is just upset that President Bush replaced him, so he figures he will fo on the offensive and attack President Bush since there a a good number who dislike him and who is blinded by their hatered so they will believe anything this guy says. It's really pitiful.

Talk about blindness, have you had your glasses checked lately?

stephanie
07-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Something I hate the worst.......

Is all our little no goods, political hacks.....

Throwing one of these.......

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thtantrumgr7.gif

Practically, all of them make me want to puke......

FROM BOTH PARTIES........

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 04:39 AM
I know how you feel, staphy.

Something I hate the worst.......

Is all our little no goods, political hacks.....

Throwing one of these.......

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thtantrumgr7.gif

Practically, all of them make me want to puke......

FROM BOTH PARTIES........

Once you get through shitting your diaper, get back into the conversation. Oh, that's right, you never have been in a conversation!!!!! Sorry 'bout that.

stephanie
07-14-2007, 04:43 AM
I know how you feel, staphy.

Once you get through shitting your diaper, get back into the conversation. Oh, that's right, you never have been in a conversation!!!!! Sorry 'bout that.

:laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I know what you mean.

:laugh2:

Humor at oneself beats self pity every time!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
07-14-2007, 05:12 AM
I know what you mean.

Humor at oneself beats self pity every time!!!!!!!!!!

To me.......

Only humor........will override the stupidity of another post...

What else is there to say........The post itself was too stupid to respond to.........:coffee:

I'm not meaning a put down at LN........

I'm just laughing at another political hack......whining and bitching and complaining.......

It's so common............on both side of the parties..........

They all make me want to.....................PUKE...

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 05:19 AM
I can accept that. You haven't responded to the original post. Here it is again just to refresh your short memory.

"Science and politics/government mix about has well as oil and water. A surgeon general position should be non-partisan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710/...geongeneral_dc

The opposite of bravery is not cowardice but conformity. - Robert Anthony "

To me.......

Only humor........will override the stupidity of another post...

What else is there to say........The post itself was too stupid to respond to.........:coffee:

I'm not meaning a put down at LN........

I'm just laughing at another political hack......whining and bitching and complaining.......

It's so common............on both side of the parties..........

They all make me want to.....................PUKE...

Remember now or are you still shaking out your panties?

stephanie
07-14-2007, 05:24 AM
I can accept that. You haven't responded to the original post. Here it is again just to refresh your short memory.

"Science and politics/government mix about has well as oil and water. A surgeon general position should be non-partisan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710/...geongeneral_dc

The opposite of bravery is not cowardice but conformity. - Robert Anthony "

Remember now or are you still shaking out your panties?

Fer crying out loud.....

I did already respond to the post.........Post # 3

You need to catch up here babe........

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 05:35 AM
So what?

Fer crying out loud.....

I did already respond to the post.........Post # 3

You need to catch up here babe........

I responded to that as well and you haven't given anything to represent anything that you said there. In fact, assuming you said anything at all I find there are no redeeming factors to represent your only indicated understanding which is below average American ignorance.

stephanie
07-14-2007, 05:39 AM
So what?

I responded to that as well and you haven't given anything to represent anything that you said there. In fact, assuming you said anything at all I find there are no redeeming factors to represent your only indicated understanding which is below average American ignorance.

Huh?????

My below average intelligence couldn't make out...........what the hell you just said in the above rant....

Could you break it down into something............simpler???

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 05:47 AM
I did my best.

Huh?????

My below average intelligence couldn't make out...........what the hell you just said in the above rant....

Could you break it down into something............simpler???

Your refusal to accept or understand even the most elementary of problem resolution is not my problem. I would suggest you enroll in your nearest 6th grade class.

stephanie
07-14-2007, 05:50 AM
I did my best.

Your refusal to accept or understand even the most elementary of problem resolution is not my problem. I would suggest you enroll in your nearest 6th grade class.

Sheeesh.........

I'm gonna go chck intu mi neerest 5th grede clas.........

Tank yu fer yeur seggestion.........:cheers2:

Psychoblues
07-14-2007, 05:54 AM
I would suggest that you sober up a day or two (you know, get over the hangover) before you check in with any school.

Sheeesh.........

I'm gonna go chck intu mi neerest 5th grede clas.........

Tank yu fer yeur seggestion.........:cheers2:

Have another cape cod and put it on my tab.

stephanie
07-14-2007, 06:16 AM
I would suggest that you sober up a day or two (you know, get over the hangover) before you check in with any school.

Have another cape cod and put it on my tab.

I can...and have always paid for my own cape cods........Thank you...

Schooooooln or nut....

If that makes feel more of a man.........go for it.......

:cheers2:

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I'll agree with you on this one, nm. It's pitiful.

Talk about blindness, have you had your glasses checked lately?

I don't wear glasses.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Then I can assume that you are only stupid?

I don't wear glasses.

I can deal with that.

stephanie
07-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Like I GIVE A SHIT........

About a position of..........the SURGEON GENEARAL...????

Good grief...............We had the joke of a person........Joslyn Elders, during the Clinton administration........

All us sane people did............was laugh our asses off......at that one....:laugh2:

They should abolish the stupid posts.........and then we as citizens, wouldn't have to pay for the stupid........position....:poke:

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 03:59 AM
Somehow I wish that I hadn't bought you that last Cape Cod.

Like I GIVE A SHIT........

About a position of..........the SURGEON GENEARAL...????

Good grief...............We had the joke of a person........Joslyn Elders, during the Clinton administration........

All us sane people did............was laugh our asses off......at that one....:laugh2:

They should abolish the stupid posts.........and then we as citizens, wouldn't have to pay for the stupid........position....:poke:

Abolishing stupid posts would eliminate you altogether, wouldn't they? And just how is your being a "citizen" paying for any position that is more relevant than my own? Again, that last Cape Cod beat your ass big time, staphy. Sleep tight, Alaska, Staphy is on your watch!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
07-16-2007, 04:15 AM
Somehow I wish that I hadn't bought you that last Cape Cod.

Abolishing stupid posts would eliminate you altogether, wouldn't they? And just how is your being a "citizen" paying for any position that is more relevant than my own? Again, that last Cape Cod beat your ass big time, staphy. Sleep tight, Alaska, Staphy is on your watch!!!!!!!!!!!!

I.........will ....swear.....

That I will give you my.....opinion....

Without any bullshit, mixed in.........I will not try and fool, mislead, and tell ya crap, that you already didn't know..................

Nominate me as your Surgeon General.........I will do it........FOR FREE...:cheers2:

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Yep, you are what we need, staphy.

I.........will ....swear.....

That I will give you my.....opinion....

Without any bullshit, mixed in.........I will not try and fool, mislead, and tell ya crap, that you already didn't know..................

Nominate me as your Surgeon General.........I will do it........FOR FREE...:cheers2:

More coke heads and drunks will be greatly appreciated in this administration!!!!!!!!

stephanie
07-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Yep, you are what we need, staphy.

More coke heads and drunks will be greatly appreciated in this administration!!!!!!!!

Why......

Is it..any different.....then we have there now???

Clinton admitted he smoked, but didn't inhale

Bam bam......admitted he tired coke......but didn't.....sniff it down his nostrils...

What..........the hell stupid........do these people think we came from???

shrillary.........never cussed...

Their all a bunch...........of liars........

:poke: