PDA

View Full Version : Christie adds NJ to list blocking Syrians

Abbey Marie
11-17-2015, 07:21 PM
Yay for Christie, I knew I liked him.

(But note the last sentence). :(

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 02:54PMTRENTON, N.J. --
Gov. Chris Christie says the state of New Jersey will no longer accept Syrian refugees in the wake of last week's Paris attacks.

In a letter to President Barack Obama on Tuesday, the Republican presidential contender said he doesn't believe that background checks are stringent enough to ensure those entering the war-torn county don't pose a threat.

"I cannot allow New Jersey to participate in any program that will result in Syrian refugees - any one of whom could be connected to terrorism - being placed in our state," he wrote in the letter.

Legal experts say governors don't have the authority to block refugees from settling in their communities under the Refugee Act of 1980.

AP article as covered by our local news.

namvet
11-17-2015, 07:37 PM
my state still refuses to block this attack. so i will continue my assault against state leaders

jimnyc
11-17-2015, 07:42 PM
While they may not be able to enforce their desires - it sends a huge message about where voters stand on syrian refugees, illegal immigration and terrorism.

Kathianne
11-17-2015, 07:51 PM
It's now 26 governors who've declared they do not want refugees in their states. While they may not have the power to actually prevent this, it becomes more and more politically costly for the administration and his party to ignore in an election year.

I shudder at the year to come with Obama in position.

Perianne
11-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Add Kentucky to that list.

Kentucky's incoming Republican governor has joined governors of several states in opposing the resettlement of Syrian refugees in light of the recent terror attacks in Paris.

http://www.wbko.com/content/news/Bevin-refuses-to-allow-Syrian-refugees-into-Kentucky-350723651.html

indago
11-17-2015, 08:05 PM
If the Fed wants them in the country so bad they can put them on Federal Property rather than burden States with them...

namvet
11-17-2015, 08:06 PM
put them all to death

namvet
11-17-2015, 08:14 PM
If the Fed wants them in the country so bad they can put them on Federal Property rather than burden States with them...

no charge to the taxpayers??

Perianne
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
put them all to death

Make them good Muslims.

namvet
11-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Make them good Muslims.

contradiction in terms

Perianne
11-17-2015, 09:55 PM
put them all to death

Make them good Muslims.

contradiction in terms

Ha! namvet. A dead Muslim is a good Muslim! :)