PDA

View Full Version : Darin?

Abbey Marie
11-18-2015, 11:32 AM
dmp

We haven't heard from you in a while.

How's Germany? Any different since the Paris attacks? Are you all settled in?

darin
11-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Abbey! Hello!

Things are calm but we practice situational and strategic awareness by following solid force-protection hints, tips, tricks.

Germany is fan-frickin-tastic. I love it here. I feel at home. Kids are adjusting okay; dogs have never been happier. Work is moving fast - and I'm adjusting to the tempo, but I'm well-supported by my leadership - whose philosophy is this: Care for your family first - take the time needed and actions needed to invest in their adjustment and happiness/stability. Work will be here".

:)

I might have some photos....from around my area and community.

jimnyc
11-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Good to see you, Darin! Glad to hear that all is well with the family, and the doggies!!

Jeff
11-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Pictures look great Darin, glad all is working out well over there, Enjoy !!!

Abbey Marie
11-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Looks great; sounds great! I'm glad it is going so well.

:cool:

Gunny
11-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Abbey! Hello!

Things are calm but we practice situational and strategic awareness by following solid force-protection hints, tips, tricks.

Germany is fan-frickin-tastic. I love it here. I feel at home. Kids are adjusting okay; dogs have never been happier. Work is moving fast - and I'm adjusting to the tempo, but I'm well-supported by my leadership - whose philosophy is this: Care for your family first - take the time needed and actions needed to invest in their adjustment and happiness/stability. Work will be here".

:)

I might have some photos....from around my area and community.

F*cker. I was going to tell her you were buried in the back yard. :slap:

Abbey Marie
11-19-2015, 03:44 PM
F*cker. I was going to tell her you were buried in the back yard. :slap:

Gunny, you know you're too busy and your ribs are too sore, to dig a hole that big. ;)

glockmail
11-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Germany is awesome; I've been twice. Would love to visit for 6 months when I retire to see the seasons change and ski one winter.

Gunny
11-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Germany is awesome; I've been twice. Would love to visit for 6 months when I retire to see the seasons change and ski one winter.

I liked Japan better, but I lived in Europe. Don't like those Dark Ages streets and driving Hot Wheels cars on them. It's interesting that I lived in some of these places or been there, and I took it in, but if I had to choose, I'd like to go back to Iraklion, Crete. One of my favorite places.

darin
11-21-2015, 04:25 PM
More - from day's visit to rothenberg.

jimnyc
11-21-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't see any stores or any where to eat? Or is that all just residential area? I figured I would see some pubs too!

darin
11-22-2015, 09:54 AM
The stores and eateries are there - just look normal from the outside; but you can find them by the menu posted near the door.

namvet
11-22-2015, 10:27 AM
The stores and eateries are there - just look normal from the outside; but you can find them by the menu posted near the door.

how's the beer?? ;)

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zfpswi.jpg

glockmail
11-23-2015, 08:28 AM
I liked Japan better, but I lived in Europe. Don't like those Dark Ages streets and driving Hot Wheels cars on them. It's interesting that I lived in some of these places or been there, and I took it in, but if I had to choose, I'd like to go back to Iraklion, Crete. One of my favorite places.
Never been to Japan so can't compare. But my family is from southern Germany (4 generations ago) and I felt a connection there, almost as if I expected what was around the corner; a rather odd, yet familiar feeling.

darin
11-24-2015, 05:44 AM
The dark-ages roads and hotwheels cars are the among the best reasons to visit. Beautiful (and small) roads cross expanses of orchards and fields and snake through the tiniest of villages.

For the major travel, however Roads are fine. Couple that with the vastly-superior drivers and it's a win-win. ONE issue - Hard to leave the cruise on 100mph+ because of traffic or construction. Most commutes via freeway are a series of 80mph-ish cruising, then some construction, then short sprints to 100+. MUCH safer-feeling than general stateside commuting.

glockmail
11-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I haven't driven in Germany, yet, but I drove for a week in Ireland two years ago. Thier A roads are better than our interstates and the drivers don't hog the inside lane like they do here. They speed up, use it to pass then get back in the travel lane and slow back down to just above the posted limit. They have several classes of two lane roads designated by the striping. With adequate width they have a center line and shoulder lines, reduced width the shoulder lines disappear and your left mirror is brushing against the hedgerows, narrower still and the center line disappears! Passing requires opposing drivers to slow down and squeeze past each other.

Some of the roads are so narrow they are literally one-way and that's that. We worked our way about 2 miles on one to an ancient ruin, and magically, every time an opposing vehicle came through a wide spot in the road appeared.

jimnyc
11-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Darin! Just noticed you online. WHat's the time difference? What time is it in Oktoberfestland?

darin
11-25-2015, 02:18 AM
I am +6hrs to Eastern time. As I type this it's 0200 your time.:)

darin
11-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Frankenstein, Rhineland-Pflaz. yesterday.

darin
11-29-2015, 02:29 AM
one more

jimnyc
11-29-2015, 04:20 AM
Sweet pics as usual! And tell Ethan to stop making believe he's Batman and climbing his way to freedom!!