PDA

View Full Version : Armless woman refused service at McDonald's

-Cp
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Rockford, IL woman Dawn Larson, who was born without arms, was refused service at a McDonald's drive through, because the staff refused to let her take her food away with her feet (she uses her feet to drive, handle money, etc). The staff were vociferously revolted by the woman's disability.

McDonald's head office response? A $10 gift-certificate

http://craphound.com/images/amrlessmcds.jpg

Dawn says her disability's never stopped her from leading a normal life. "I do everyday things like everyday people." But on November 3rd, she says that changed. Larson pulled up to the McDonald's drive through on Kishwaukee Street and ordered food for her and her sons. She drove to the first window, gave the cashier her credit card with her foot, and pulled up to get her food. Dawn says, "The first girl said, 'Girl, you ain't got no arms' and the manager said she couldn't hand me her food and she just kept sticking to the fact that I didn't have no arms and she was disgusted by it. I had the right to eat my dinner and feed my kids and they took that away from me."

Larson says the manager eventually agreed to hand Larson's son the food. But she says an incident 3 and a half moths later at the McDonald's on 11th Street didn't end that way. Larson claims an employee there refused to even do that. "I paid to be discriminated against and I paid to be disrespected and I paid to not even have the right to eat my food."

Larson says McDonald's sent her a 10 dollar gift certificate in response to her complaint. Now she's suing the fast food corporation to prevent anyone else from going through what she did. "That's saying McDonald's condones and urges people to treat the handicapped that way. I don't want that message to come across. I want to fight for my rights and my kids rights and have these things changed."

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/10/armless_woman_refuse.html

07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
First, how on earth can anyone drive with their feet???

trobinett
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
The staff at Micky "D's" didn't handle it right, but their all stupid fucking kids, what do ya expect?

This woman isn't handling it right either, and she's an adult with children.

Shame on her...........:slap:

Abbey Marie
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Did anyone offer to bring the food to her table for her? They should have. But then again, she might have refused the help to prove a point.

-Cp
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Did anyone offer to bring the food to her table for her? They should have. But then again, she might have refused the help to prove a point.

This took place in the Drive-thru Abbs..

Mr. P
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I saw a guy use a knife and folk with his feet. As far as the car, I am sure it had special controls.

Abbey Marie
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
This took place in the Drive-thru Abbs..

Oops, my fault- I was too lazy to read the article.

For me: :slap:

gabosaurus
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
McDonalds did her a service. No one should eat there.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 05:51 PM

They have special control's.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
That's disgusting, McDonald's employees didn't even treat her like a human being.That makes me sick. I hope she wins when she sue's. The employees that handled this should be fired as well.

trobinett
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
That's disgusting, McDonald's employees didn't even treat her like a human being.That makes me sick. I hope she wins when she sue's. The employees that handled this should be fired as well.

Lets see if I've got this right.

Mama is buying her kids dinner at Micky "d's", the little cockroaches that work there, and I use the term in its looses meaning, treat her like shit, so she sues the owner, read insurance company, which causes MY insurance to go up, and your FOR THAT?

Your fucking sick.:lame2:

Firing the employees is about the only sane thing you said.:slap:

Course, finding other dip shits to take their place will be rewarding, maybe mom will help out.:poke:

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Lets see if I've got this right.

Mama is buying her kids dinner at Micky "d's", the little cockroaches that work there, and I use the term in its looses meaning, treat her like shit, so she sues the owner, read insurance company, which causes MY insurance to go up, and your FOR THAT?

Your fucking sick.:lame2:

Firing the employees is about the only sane thing you said.:slap:

Course, finding other dip shits to take their place will be rewarding, maybe mom will help out.:poke:

Your an idiot if you believe that.

manu1959
07-10-2007, 09:00 PM

she will sue, she will win, insurance will pay and rates will go up....

Nukeman
07-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Most of the kids working at McD's are 16 years old and the shift managers are maybe 17-18 years old. Now does this excuse their behavior... NO... However do you not think that may be the "kids" working there have never seen a person drineing without arms.

Is it right for her to sue??? NO should the kids be trained on how to handle "strange" circumstances??? Hell yes.

How would all of yourespond to someone without arms using their feet respond???

I have lived in and worked/lived in 4 different states and RARELY seen someone without arms. These kids have probably never been in this situation before.

Gunny
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Actually, he's pretty spot-on.

waterrescuedude2000
07-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Well where I live you have either teenagers working or mainly Hispanics that don't peak English they take your order and then get it wrong. Its happened here more than once. And as far as the trying to take the food with her feet can be considered a health hazard by the health department.

jimnyc
07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I know you'll all hate me for this, but I think I wouldn't have been able to serve her either! Sure, I would have made sure she received what she paid for by having someone else 'hand' it to her, but I would have been to busy rolling on the floor!

I don't mean to laugh at others misfortunes, but ya gotta admit it would be rather odd to see a pair of feet reaching out to you through a car window! LOL

Ok, flame away! :laugh2:

Monkeybone
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
i don't thik there should have been a problem though of handing her the food. it;s not like she was in there toching everything, just 'grabbing' the bag. and depending on how old the kids were, just lean over and grab or even, heaven forbid it might be up to like....40 ft, walk the damn food out to the car.

theHawk
07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
No Shoes
No Shirt
No Arms
No Service ??

:dunno:

Monkeybone
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
we should take up arms against McD's and not stand around with our arms crossed while we are treated like this.

dan
07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Someone should give this woman a hand. Two of them, in fact.:clap:

dan
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Do you think she was getting the chicken fingers? She should've gone to Sonic and gotten a foot-long.

glockmail
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
..... And as far as the trying to take the food with her feet can be considered a health hazard by the health department.

Why? Her feet are clean. Are your hands clean?

glockmail
07-11-2007, 09:40 AM
I know you'll all hate me for this, but I think I wouldn't have been able to serve her either! Sure, I would have made sure she received what she paid for by having someone else 'hand' it to her, but I would have been to busy rolling on the floor!

I don't mean to laugh at others misfortunes, but ya gotta admit it would be rather odd to see a pair of feet reaching out to you through a car window! LOL

Ok, flame away! :laugh2:

I'd rather touch her feet with my hands than roll on the filthy floor at Mickey D's. :poke:

darin
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Okay guys - last time:

"Your" - Your shirt is dirty. Your Arms are Missing.

"You're" - You're a dummy-head. You're a Handicapped Person.

:)

glockmail
07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Okay guys - last time:

"Your" - Your shirt is dirty. Your Arms are Missing.

"You're" - You're a dummy-head. You're a Handicapped Person.

:)

English in the days of yore.

Mr. P
07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
English in the days of yore.

I think it's in the days of "your". :laugh2:

glockmail
07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I think it's in the days of "your". :laugh2: Does my lore on yore make you sore?

dan
07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Why? Her feet are clean. Are your hands clean?
I thought about that, but if she uses her feet for everything, then it stands to reason that she doesn't wear shoes, otherwise how could she grip anything? Ever seen the feet of someone who doesn't wear shoes outside of their house? We call them Wal-Mart feet here.

glockmail
07-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I thought about that, but if she uses her feet for everything, then it stands to reason that she doesn't wear shoes, otherwise how could she grip anything? Ever seen the feet of someone who doesn't wear shoes outside of their house? We call them Wal-Mart feet here. I saw a "60 minutes" expose of a woman like this and she wore slip-on shoes, was well aware of the need to keep clean and did so diligently. I will make the assumption that this woman does the same unless there is evidence to the contrary.

dan
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I saw a "60 minutes" expose of a woman like this and she wore slip-on shoes, was well aware of the need to keep clean and did so diligently. I will make the assumption that this woman does the same unless there is evidence to the contrary.

I see. That's okay, then, if she's wearing shoes, although I still feel that while there is more than likely no difference between the two, feet are still grosser (example, would you rather be forced to smell Rosie O'Donnel's hand or her foot?).

Slip-on shoes, though, that's really considerate to see that these people are going around so well armed.:thanks:

glockmail
07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I see. That's okay, then, if she's wearing shoes, although I still feel that while there is more than likely no difference between the two, feet are still grosser (example, would you rather be forced to smell Rosie O'Donnel's hand or her foot?). That's not a valid comparison at all, as I wouldn't want to smell Rosie's hands or feet.

As far as the average Josephine, her feet are probably no cleaner than mine and I wouldn't want to smell mine either. But if all I had were feet, and had to eat with same, I'd take special care to keep them clean and I'm sure this woman does that.

Where's the Reverends Al and Jesse on this, coming to her defense? Oh yeah, the McD employees were black.

remie
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
No Shoes
No Shirt
No Arms
No Service ??

:dunno:

:laugh2: Good One

Hugh Lincoln
07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe they were afraid she'd spill the coffee.

nevadamedic
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Well where I live you have either teenagers working or mainly Hispanics that don't peak English they take your order and then get it wrong. Its happened here more than once. And as far as the trying to take the food with her feet can be considered a health hazard by the health department.

No it's not. If she were behind the counter or working in the kitchen it would be, but as a customer then it wouldn't and even in a car it wouldn't I don'tsee why her kids who were in the backseat couldn't do it for her.

musicman
07-12-2007, 02:00 AM
What's all this fuss about aimless women? It seems to me that a woman should be able to get served in a restaurant regardless of her goals in life, or lack of. What's that? ARMless women??!!

Oh....

Never mind!

Abbey Marie
02-15-2016, 11:37 PM
A guest was reading this- what a blast from the past :laugh2:

WiccanLiberal
02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
I am surprised nobody has realized yet that this woman has good cause to bring federal charges against the workers and the company for violation of her civil rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

gabosaurus
02-16-2016, 08:37 PM
I am surprised nobody has realized yet that this woman has good cause to bring federal charges against the workers and the company for violation of her civil rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

This woman should have sued McDonald's. The company's defense wouldn't have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:

Gunny
02-16-2016, 09:55 PM
This woman should have sued McDonald's. The company's defense wouldn't have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:

BS. One, the woman is inconsiderate tying up a drive thru while she fiddles around with here feet. Second, I can't even walk into a McDonald's barefoot much less put my dirty feet in someone's face. Those people are food handlers.

I suppose seeing some woman's feet in the window by the person behind her gives them the right to sue too for unsanitary food serving practices?

Maybe she ought to just go inside. It's quicker anyway.